Base Comdr CFB Trenton charged -2 counts of murder

Kip Powick

http://www.torontosu...8/12791976.html

Please note the Toronto Sun may move the page...

The base commander of CFB Trenton has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in connection with the murders of two area women, including a fellow soldier.

Col. Russ Williams, the wing commander at CFB Trenton, is charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Lloyd and two other home invasions last September in the Tweed area.

Police said Williams has also been charged with two counts of forcible confinement and two counts of break and enter and sexual assault in connection with two sexual assaults of two Tweed women back in September.

Williams was arrested Sunday in Ottawa.

Police told reporters in Belleville today that a roadside canvas on Feb. 4, brought Williams to their attention.

Lloyd, 27, went missing Jan. 29. after she failed to show up for her job with Tri-Board Student Transportation Services in Napanee. The last time anyone heard from Lloyd was the night before when she sent a text message to a friend.

Her body was found early Monday morning off Cary Rd. near Tweed.

Last week, friends of Lloyd started distributing vehicle decals with photos of her, as well as her description and contact information for police.

Comeau, 38, was found murdered in Brighton, Ont., on Nov. 25, 2009. She was a member of 437 Squadron at CFB Trenton.

"This is a very sad case and our hearts go out to the two victims families," OPP Commissioner Julian Fantino said Monday.

The OPP got involved last week when Belleville Police called for their assistance, Fantino said.

"We threw all our resources at it just like we did for Tori Stafford and it was a joint investigation with the Belleville service," Fantino said. "It was a massive, co-operative investigation from both sides and we are pleased to have been able to solve it."

With more than 20 years in the Canadian Forces, Williams is a married man that according to a DND senior staff biography, is a keen photographer, fisherman and runner.

In the 1990s, Williams was stationed in Ottawa where he flew VIP Challenger jets for the 412 Transport Squadron.

When asked if they believe Williams may be allegedly tied to other crimes, OPP inspectors said they will be tracking back through his accomplished career and will be speaking with police services in the jurisdictions where he was stationed.

Unbelievable and shocking. This is deeply disturbing. The CF does not need this kind of publicity. If guilty, shame on the man. He went before the courts today and was remanded in custody (no bail) until the middle of the month. Interesting that the accused would seem to be a flight risk or worse, a continued danger to society.

He is a human being whose connection to the Military is coincidental and has no impact on public impression at all. This is just the press blowing up something before guilt is established.

Even if found quilty, I fail to see any downside for the Canadian Forces anymore than when a Lawyer, Doctor, Judge is charged and found quilty and the resulting impact on their profession.

Perhaps, and I hope you are completely right. How does the court martial process work in the CF? If he is found guilty, is he then subject to court martial? Am I confusing Canadian and American jurisprudence?

Hadji - ??

My very limited understand of the process (jump in here Kip) is that he could be tried in both civil and military courts because one of the victims was a serving member of the Canadian Armed Forces.

All that I know at this time is that as far as a member of the CF....he is finished (if found guilty and probably if he is found 'not guilty'), and yes, as I understand it, he will be tried in both Mil and Civil court. This is such an unusual case and one that will turn into a legal nightmare for all parties. A member of the CF allegedly kills a member of the CF and then allegedly kills a civilian and the question will be ,,,who gets first crack at their day in court?

I have no idea how this will run as I don't think this type of incident has ever happened before. I don't think the Somalia Commission of Inquiry even comes close to paralleling this case.

I am sure that you have all heard that Williams career path will be checked to see if he "could" be responsible for other cases. About 9 years ago we had a young lady disappear while walking from the YTR DQ to the Base Married Quarters. ((Kathleen MacVicar - June 13, 2001 - Age 19 - Murdered ))That case was never solved and the Press has indicated that that incident will be investigated to see if there is any link to Williams.

Almost sounds like pedophile and accused murderer Alexander Kalichuk who got up to no good in the vicinity of airforce bases all over Ontario - but nobody put the pieces together until after his death. He just kept getting reassigned from base to base as he got in trouble in one community without serious investigation. He was just written off as a drunk perv but otherwise harmless.

Rich

I don't think double jeopardy exists in this case since there are 2 distinct cases (maybe more) I think the Military court would handle the military case and civil would handle the civilian case. Either way this guy will never see the light of day without stripes again.

Rich

Either way this guy will never see the light of day without stripes again.

You're forgetting about the vaunted Canadian "justice" system.

We can only hope he will be incarcereated for life(if guilty of course).

If he is not guilty what are the chances of him ever being able to live a normal life again?

Everyone has convicted him already.

Spot on. But if he is, and he survives to a guilty verdict, I would hope he would then do the honourable thing.

He must have his time in court. Unless he's married to whoever became Karla you-know-who.

In which case, I'd volunteer to measure the rope...

This is extracted from a site dealing with Court Martial authority in Canada.

It should also be noted that section 70 excludes certain offences under the Criminal Code from being tried in a military tribunal if committed in Canada. These excluded offences are murder, manslaughter and abduction of a minor. However, service tribunals have jurisdiction to try these offences when they are committed outside Canada. Moreover, section 132 of the NDA provides that all laws of a foreign country where members are serving may be enforceable under Canadian military law. In short, then, military law encompasses a broad range of offences and punishments.

It is interesting to note that a Court Martial may try a murder charge outside Canada.

This in fact happened on my base overseas. Those involved were all Canadians so the National authorities left everything in the Military's hands.

Any outcome is automatically reviewed by a higher civilian court, at least in the case of conviction, not sure about a not guilty finding though.

...in order to strip him of his rank, privileges, and pension and purge him from the CF.

Even if he is found guilty, he has still earned his pension, and he will recieve it. Why should his wife be punished for this man's crime? She is the one who will need the pension.

And looking at the time line of events, I think this freak confessed. About 3 hours after he was picked up, the OPP proceeded to a secluded spot on a country road where they found the body of one of the victims. It seems to me that someone told them where to look.

Even if he is found guilty, he has still earned his pension, and he will recieve it.

I have no reference for that ...I think he may be entitled to "return of contributions" but not a life-long pension.

Globe and Mail..................Today.......

Colonel Russell Williams has given police a lengthy and wide-ranging statement about four dozen so-called "lingerie break-ins," two home invasions that turned into bizarre sexual assaults last September, and the murders of two young women, one a military steward with whom he may have flown.

Several sources have also told The Globe and Mail that the 46-year-old commander of Canadian Forces Base Trenton took detectives to the body of Jessica Lloyd, a 27-year-old who suddenly disappeared on Jan. 29 after texting a friend she had safely arrived home

Latest Update

This is extracted from a site dealing with Court Martial authority in Canada.

It is interesting to note that a Court Martial may try a murder charge outside Canada.

This in fact happened on my base overseas. Those involved were all Canadians so the National authorities left everything in the Military's hands.

Any outcome is automatically reviewed by a higher civilian court, at least in the case of conviction, not sure about a not guilty finding though.

That is typical of most status of forces agreements,

Somebody help me here.

This is a really senior guy, security clearances up the yinyang. The mil say they do a 'fairly rigorous" security and background check for a guy at this level. Then I read - they don't know if he has siblings or living parents? Am I dreaming this or what? Something is off the rails here or god forbid, there's bad reporting going on.

This is a mess.

Somebody help me here.

This is a really senior guy, security clearances up the yinyang. The mil say they do a 'fairly rigorous" security and background check for a guy at this level. Then I read - they don't know if he has siblings or living parents? Am I dreaming this or what? Something is off the rails here or god forbid, there's bad reporting going on.

This is a mess.

Finally...some background on the Colonel................

BACKGROUND GLOBE AND MAIL

KINGSTON, Ont. - A senior air force commander charged with murdering two women was placed on a suicide watch when he arrived at a provincial jail in Napanee because of his bizarre behaviour, QMI Agency has learned.

Col. Russell Williams was acting as though he was a prisoner of war when he was first processed at the Quinte Detention Centre. He would only give authorities his name, rank and serial number.

Williams was assessed by a psychiatrist and he was deemed a possible suicide risk. His demeanor has been described as “cocky” but “vacant.”

He was given a tear and burn-proof outfit, known among jail workers as an “oven mitt” or “baby doll” to wear.

It is a thick gown, made from an impervious material, with holes for arms and head. The wearer is stripped of personal clothing, including underwear and other personal effects.

Williams was placed in a segregation cell where he could be monitored continually by security staff and where he had no privacy. The suicide watch segregation cell does not have a screen or covering over the barred front so that staff can see inside at all times.

Williams’ mattress was removed in the daytime and returned only at night.

On Wednesday, Williams was allowed to exchange his suicide gown for a regular, orange jumpsuit that is issued to most prisoners at Quinte, a crowded provincial holding and remand centre. Most of the inmates at the facility are awaiting trial.

Built to hold nearly 100 inmates, Quinte is often jammed with 300 or more prisoners. In some cases, inmates sleep on mattresses in hallways or placed on the floor of cells.

Williams remains in a segregation cell by himself with no contact with other inmates.

He has spoken very little and often refuses to make eye contact with jail staff.

His next court appearance will be by video link from the detention centre. Inmates are taken to a room in the centre where they stand in front of a camera, monitor and telephone that is part of a network connected to provincial courthouses.

The system allows routine remands to be conducted without the expense and time of shuttling prisoners from jails to court buildings.

Defence lawyers are still able to talk to the accused on a secure phone line

From: Chief of the Defence Staff/Chef d'état-major de la Défense

Sent: Wednesday, 10, February, 2010 6:57 PM

Subject: CDS Message – Events in Trenton, Ontario / Message du CEMD – Événements survenus à Trenton, en Ontario

CDS Message – Events in Trenton, Ontario

I know I speak for every man and woman in uniform when I say that we have been shocked and dismayed by the events unfolding around the arrest of Colonel Russell Williams in Trenton. I will not comment on the charges against Col Williams. They will be dealt with by the criminal justice system.

These are disturbing and tragic circumstances. These allegations touching our senior leadership have created a wave of emotion that inflicts pain on all those involved. CF leaders at all levels need to remain conscious of the sacred trust that exists between them and those they lead. It is a trust built on unimpeachable morals, unwavering integrity, and the courage to do what is right.

I have every confidence in the leadership of the CF and their strength of character to weather this storm, to make the right decisions, and to offer moral support to each other as we collectively work through this tough situation.

This comes at a time when all of our energies are focused on continuing to turn the tide in Afghanistan, saving lives in Haiti, fighting piracy on the high seas, supporting the RCMP in providing security at the Olympic Games, and ensuring that our women and men are prepared for their next mission.

I am confident that we will all remain focused on our missions, and will and continue to achieve success on operations while caring for our people and our military families.

I know that we are united in our sympathy for all of victims and those touched by these crimes, and that we are committed to ensuring that we provide the best support to all of the affected military families. In keeping with our commitment to the wellbeing of our personnel and their families, I would like to remind everyone of the Employee Assistance Program through which mental health service providers can be contacted for confidential support and counselling services.

Finally, the police have made a public plea for any information that may bring light to their investigation and I echo that call. If you have information that you believe is relevant, please share it with your nearest military or civilian police agency.

I am proud of you and proud to be your CDS.

General W. J. Natynczyk

stranger by the day....

Col. Williams, Bernardo were 'pals'

February 12, 2010 - Toronto Sun

Joe Warmington and Don Peat

TORONTO -- They were pals.

Accused killer Col. Russell Williams and notorious serial killer Paul Bernardo both attended the University of Toronto Scarborough campus.

They both studied economics at the Military Trail campus during the mid-1980s.

They graduated together in 1987, Williams, 46, with a politics and economics degree, Bernardo, 45, with a commerce and economics degree.

Their families both lived along the Scarborough bluffs.

Now police sources tell the Toronto Sun the two were college “pals” who “partied” together and that their relationship is the subject of intense scrutiny by the joint forces team probing the murders of Cpl. Marie-France Comeau and Jessica Lloyd.

While speculative, police are even looking into the possibility Bernardo and Williams may have “competed against each other.” The source would not elaborate on what that meant.

“If they were friends it’s certainly interesting,” the source said. “We don’t know what this relationship means.

“But we do know that they had spent time together at the University of Toronto Scarborough campus.”

When contacted about the revelation of Bernardo and Williams attending U of T Scarborough at the same time, Commissioner Julian Fantino vowed that when “new aspects come to light, the OPP will investigate.”

Complete Article

Holy sh!t. From my post #13:

"Spot on. But if he is, and he survives to a guilty verdict, I would hope he would then do the honourable thing.

He must have his time in court. Unless he's married to whoever became Karla you-know-who.

In which case, I'd volunteer to measure the rope... "

I was only kidding about Karla. Maybe there's an involvement afterall...

This is getting sicker and sicker.

Archived