WS 846 YYCYOW overshoots runway

internet

"February 17, 2008. Calgary, AB

WestJet has confirmed that flight 846 en route from Calgary to Ottawa exited beyond the end of runway 25 upon arrival in Ottawa. No injuries were reported and all guests have deplaned and are safely in the terminal building. There were 94 people on board including crew."

http://c1dsp.westjet.com/guest/webAlert.js...isories_guesten

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest rattler

Latest news report:

Jessey Bird, Ottawa Citizen

Published: 3 hours ago

Emergency crews rushed to the Ottawa Airport late Sunday night after a plane carrying 94 people, including crew, slid off the runway.

The drama began shortly after 11 p.m. as the Boeing 737 - WestJet flight 846 from Calgary  - touched down on Runway 25 in Ottawa.

"We were just sitting on the plane, it was coming down, and the next thing you know we had slipped off," said 37-year-old Cindy Lafferty, who was on board the flight with her three young children. She and her family are in the process of moving to Ottawa.

"It was very scary," said Ms. Lafferty, in tears, as her family embraced her, arms full of balloons and flowers. "We just didn't know if it was going to stop."

This WestJet plane, flight WS846, sits in a snowbank after sliding off the end of the runway late Sunday night at the Ottawa International Airport.

"All I felt was a bump and then we slid," said her daughter, 12-year-old Jessica Lafferty, with a shrug. "I was pretty scared, but we ended up being fine."

Minutes after the slide, airport officials rushed to the scene and called Ottawa fire and paramedics for backup.

Despite the reassurance from officials that no one was hurt, the tension was high in the terminal, where people waited anxiously to greet their loved ones.

"My son called us from the plane and he said he was in the middle of the snow," said Jorge Rodriguez, as he waited outside for his son Dr. Sebastian Rodriguez. "We're just happy nobody was hurt."

The passengers were eventually delivered by bus to the terminal, almost two hours after landing.

Marielena Dibartolo was returning to Ottawa with her 10-month-old son, Liam King.

"I had him on my lap and was feeding him and all of a sudden we were banking to the left," she said. "It was pretty rough and all I saw was field. That's when I knew we definitely weren't on the runway."

Steve Singer, who was also on board with his family, said his 10-month old son Craig Singer didn't make a peep in all the commotion.

"The plane landed, the reverse thrusters came on...then after a couple of seconds we realized we weren't slowing down and there was all this snow flying up over the wings of the plane," said Mr. Singer.

"He was great," said Craig's mother, Sara Christian, with a laugh. "It was actually me who let out a big gasp."

Everyone from the staff to the passengers were very calm, said Dr. Rodriguez, 30, who is a surgical resident at the General Campus of the Ottawa Hospital. "It wasn't very turbulent, but all of a sudden we realized we were in the middle of a field," he said. "It was a bit of an inconvenience, but if you think about what could have happened ... I think I'm pretty lucky."

"This is certainly a very rare occurrence but our crew our trained for these type of incidents," said Richard Bartrem, vice-president of communications for the airline.

As of 2 a.m. Monday morning the cause of the slide had yet to be determined, but reports from the scene suggested the area surrounding the aircraft was extremely icy. Ottawa had been receiving freezing rain for several hours Sunday.

"Westjet will be cooperating with the Transportation Safety Board as they conduct their investigation into the matter," said Mr. Bartrem, adding that he did not know how long the investigation would take.

About four millimetres of mostly freezing rain fell on the Ottawa region Sunday, which also caused dangerous driving conditions.

Area police reported 28 accidents between noon and 8 p.m., and the OPP reported 96 for all of Eastern Ontario.

Members of the Russell County OPP responded to a two-vehicle collision that killed two of five occupants. The head-on collision occurred shortly after 4 p.m., on County Road 17 at Division Road, just west of the Village of Wendover.

Also, an eight-kilometre stretch of Highway 417 was closed for part of yesterday afternoon due to icy conditions, which caused many minor accidents, police said.

The highway was closed in both directions near Casselman from about 3 p.m. until 3:30 p.m., said OPP Const. Darin Kirker. There were "numerous vehicles in the ditch," he said.

According to Environment Canada, rain will end early this morning with the temperature hovering at 2C for most of the day. 

I am curious as to what kind of duty day this flight crew was on? Maybe the genius who came up with 14 hours will be part of the investigation.....it'll be close enough to his office.

Good thing no one was hurt or injured. I am sure any damage to the aircraft can be fixed. Would not want to be explaining why I slid off the end of an 8000' runway though. Good luck to them.

Was the genius who schedules pilots at WS at the controls? Or maybe we should, as some of you pilots always caution, wait for the results of the investigation. Lots of theoretical culprits in a situation like this, human error, ice, mechanical failure, maybe freak winds...

Was the genius who schedules pilots at WS at the controls? Or maybe we should, as some of you pilots always caution, wait for the results of the investigation. Lots of theoretical culprits in a situation like this, human error, ice, mechanical failure, maybe freak winds...

Why....is there something wrong with Westjet's pilot schedules?

Guest rattler

Having an ostentatious terminal building-millions of $$$

Having a non-precision approach to the most used and often slippery runway at the nations capital-Priceless!

So should we conclude that a lack of a precision approach was the cause of the incident or ?????

Probably a dumb question but do the rest of our major airports that are subject to frequent icing have precision approach procedures for their main runways? YEG, YYC, YQR, YWG, YYZ, YUL YHZ ETC.

Having an ostentatious terminal building-millions of $$$

Having a non-precision approach to the most used and often slippery runway at the nations capital-Priceless!

What was the WX at the time of the incident ??

While I agree 100% that the approach to 25 in CYOW is pathetic, was it a factor here ??

Is runway 25 in CYOW part of WJ's RNP approach program ?? If so, what are the minimums as compared to the BC ??

What condition was the runway would be my first question ?? And go from there.

Speculation does not serve anybody very well.

Glad nobody was injured.

WX reports covering the period (apporx 0400Z)

CYOW 180700Z 05006KT 1 1/4SM -RA BR OVC022 01/01 A2940 RMK FG3SC5 SLP961

CYOW 180639Z 03004KT 1 1/2SM -RA BR OVC022 01/ RMK FG2SC6

CYOW 180631Z 03006KT 1 1/2SM BR OVC022 01/ RMK FG2SC6

CYOW 180600Z 04004KT 5SM BR OVC025 02/02 A2941 RMK SC8 SLP965

CYOW 180525Z 05007KT 4SM BR BKN026 OVC070 01/ RMK SC5AS3

CYOW 180500Z 11007KT 4SM -RA BR FEW012 SCT030 OVC070 02/02 A2941 RMK SF1SC2AS5 SLP967

CYOW 180420Z 13008KT 4SM -RA BR FEW012 SCT030 OVC080 02/ RMK SF1SC2AS5

CYOW 180400Z 13007KT 2SM BR SCT011 OVC030 01/01 A2945 RMK FG2SC2SC4 MOON VISBL SLP979

CYOW 180334Z 10006KT 2SM BR BKN011 OVC030 01/ RMK FG2SF4SC2

CYOW 180300Z 11005KT 3SM BR OVC008 01/01 A2949 RMK SF8 SLP993

CYOW 180254Z 11006KT 3SM BR OVC008 01/ RMK SF8

Guest rattler

The most interesting thing about this story is that even the CBC is not covering it. I suspect if it had been an Air Canada flight tongue.gif

Reuters has a brief article on it and they drag in Air Canada at the end of the article. I guess Westjet is just not considered to be newswothy.

VANCOUVER, British Columbia, Feb 18 (Reuters) - A WestJet Airlines Ltd. (WJA.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) plane skidded off a runway at Ottawa's International Airport late on Sunday night but none of the 94 people on board were hurt, Canada's second biggest airline said on Monday.

WestJet said in a brief statement flight 846 from Calgary to Ottawa "exited beyond the end of runway 25 upon arrival in Ottawa". The flight was due to arrive just before 11 p.m. (0400 GMT).

The airline could not be reached for comment but local media said the plane ended up in a field at the end of the runway. Company officials declined to say what caused the incident, but reports suggested the area was very icy.

Eight passengers and two crew members were injured in January after an Air Canada (ACb.TO: Quote, Profile, Research) jet bucked in midair on a flight across Canada, forcing the pilots to make an emergency landing in Calgary. (Reporting by Nicole Mordant; editing by Mohammad Zargham)

I am told they landed 07. The plane is sitting at the end of it. Approximately 200 feet past the end.

There must be a picture available somewhere showing the aircraft near the ring road near the button of 25.

Well that sounds better....still not much of a headwind component to help them out.

user posted image

This WestJet plane, flight WS846, sits in a snowbank after sliding off the end of the runway late Sunday night at the Ottawa International Airport.

Photograph by : Mike Carroccetto, The Ottawa Citizen

Woewee...so many armchair quarterbacks and speculators laugh.gif

Of prime importance is the fact that no one was hurt/killed but hey.... let's not factor in that piece of information , lets just try to ...well maybe...blame someone...anyone.

Jeeeese, it was a truly unfortunate accident but let's let the experts come up with the answer....I'm willing to bet that there is even someone, somewhere who is rubbing their hands in glee saying..."finally, Westjet went in the rhubarb..heh-heh". How very sad.

It seems that we should all be thankful that it was not more of a tragedy and have some sympathy for the "front end", who must feel like crap right about now, whether it was their error or the aircraft's mech error................it coulda happened to anyone...flying is full of "luck" and "risks".

Glad everyone is safe. smile.gif

Rattler,

Probably a dumb question but do the rest of our major airports that are subject to frequent icing have precision approach procedures for their main runways? YEG, YYC, YQR, YWG, YYZ, YUL YHZ ETC.

leaving aside the aircraft over run, these airports you mention are some of the major airports in the country. While they do have precision approach facilities not all runways are so equipped.

That there are still only non precision approaches to some of their runways should be an embarrassment to their operating authorities.

I don't think you will find very many runways not served by precision approaches at the major European terminals.

If they landed on 25 it would have been the RNP approach, which for all intents and purposes would be as stable as an ILS approach. I've flow that flight several times and generally it is not part of a long duty day. It seems that our longest days seem to involve charters.

"finally, Westjet went in the rhubarb..heh-heh". How very sad.

Kip, if there is anyone saying this it's only because Westjet employees were often overheard, in their first years of operation, spouting off about how they never, ever had an incident.

Personally, I would never think, or say, such a thing because I know from personal experience how quickly one can find themselves in a situation like this. I am sure that the skill of the crew mitigated a more serious outcome and I'm glad to hear that no one was hurt. The people of Canada should count themselves lucky to be served by an airline industry and culture that has such a strong emphasis on safety.

I am pleased to hear that there were no injuries, scary stuff!

I will talk to a few of my coworkers here in YOW and see if I can get some more details.

Archived