Max Ward

I can still hear his tenor voice proclaiming a 500 foot circuit and established on the downwind left for 28 at Cooking Lake. It was always exciting for us young instructors out of the Muni to hear a legend on the frequency. My first ride on an airliner was on one of Max's 47s in '75 to England. A true pioneer.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tango Foxtrot said:

I was very lucky to meet Max Ward after he retired. Our hanger was right next to his in YXD. Our aircraft had the same engines as his Challenger,and we knew how to fix Twin Otters! So we got to know his Mechanic Dan Mcniven. 

Great story! I got to know Danny McNiven years later after he came to work at Air Canada. The man was a bit of a legend himself, in the Maintenance world. ?

I was a newbie with Wardair and was privileged to be on the A-310 when it was first introduced to WD. I was doing the pre-flight walk around when I noticed a man in civvies loading the belt that went up to the tail cargo compartment.

That was normally where the crew baggage went. I stopped and asked one of the fellows loading the forward compartment, " Who's the civvy working the rear belt?"

He smiled and said "That's Max...not unusual to see him helping anywhere he can."

He was probably one of the main reasons morale was so high in WD.

Ever find a passenger that felt WD  was not a good airline to fly on ??? ScreenShot003.jpg.67baa504bb685cbe8214d22195df1d62.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 years later...

I don't think Wardair ever owned this aircraft.  Apparently it was operated by the Manitoba government.  Max's family bought it for him as a gift.  And still own it now.  I was told that they had it restored and installed the Garrett. 

My first thought was why put a turbine on it 🤔. But I guess he was down grading from a really nice Twin Otter.  

Take a look at the name on the door. 

Edited by Tango Foxtrot
  • Like 1