WestJet downsizing

I said it before and I will say it again.  Growth is finite.  At some point you must shrink.  There are many reasons.  This is one.

Call UA. They might take them. They are making the 787-9/10 the backbone of their recovery international fleet.

Even AC would be wise to consider exiting 777 platform and committing to 787. Or A350.

30 minutes ago, rudder said:

Call UA. They might take them. They are making the 787-9/10 the backbone of their recovery international fleet.

Even AC would be wise to consider exiting 777 platform and committing to 787. Or A350.

This is especially true once the price of fuel start to climb (contrary to Elizabeth May's comments).

3 hours ago, Geminoid said:

I'm hearing rumours that WS is looking to unload their 787s and withdraw from the international market for the foreseeable future. Anyone else hearing anything?

Have not heard one word even speculating that.

Even pre-COVID, WJ was a bit player on the TATL stage. Whether they continue the European operation or not is almost inconsequential to the market.

ONEX will be brutal in making decisions about where it is willing to lose money and where it is not. There will be no passion or emotion about sparkly 787’s. It will just be business.

3 hours ago, AIP said:

This is especially true once the price of fuel start to climb (contrary to Elizabeth May's comments).

I don't see fuel expense rising that fast. The world is awash in crude and there is almost no storage left. It will take a year or more just to eliminate the overhang. And cargo rates will remain high until there are more passenger jets flying, and there will be few of those added any time soon.

2 hours ago, rudder said:

Even pre-COVID, WJ was a bit player on the TATL stage. Whether they continue the European operation or not is almost inconsequential to the market.

ONEX will be brutal in making decisions about where it is willing to lose money and where it is not. There will be no passion or emotion about sparkly 787’s. It will just be business.

What people have yet to grasp is that ONEX has no intention of being a cash cow for any of its assets. If you look at the entire ONEX stable, you can some of its other current assets will also be stressed right now. 

6 hours ago, Geminoid said:

I'm hearing rumours that WS is looking to unload their 787s and withdraw from the international market for the foreseeable future. Anyone else hearing anything?

I heard similar grumblings.

5 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

I heard similar grumblings.

I guess it will depend upon an number of factors including what the deal is / was with Boeing for the 787s complicated by the MAX. 

WestJet has just placed an order for up to 20 Boeing 787 aircraft:
  • WestJet has placed a firm order for 10 Boeing 787-9 aircraft, to be delivered between the first quarter of 2019 and the end of 2021.
  • WestJet has options for an additional 10 Boeing 787-9 aircraft, to be delivered between 2020 and 2024.

56 minutes ago, dagger said:

I don't see fuel expense rising that fast. The world is awash in crude and there is almost no storage left. It will take a year or more just to eliminate the overhang. And cargo rates will remain high until there are more passenger jets flying, and there will be few of those added any time soon.

Yes, in the short term I agree, but medium to longer term it will climb at some point and the more fuel efficient the fleet is, the better the bottom line.

Only advantage B777 has over B787 is braun.

2 minutes ago, AIP said:

Yes, in the short term I agree, but medium to longer term it will climb at some point and the more fuel efficient the fleet is, the better the bottom line.

Only advantage B777 has over B787 is braun.

Well, with a light passenger load, a B777 can haul an awful lot of heavy freight in the belly. The key is heavy freight because as industry ramps back up, there is going to be increase demand to haul dense heavy freight, which is where the real money is in air cargo, with not enough freighter lift to handle it all. 

7 minutes ago, boestar said:

that will be offset by all of the people that realized that ordering on line is far more convenient.

Hence the (overly?) dramatic increase in CJT share price.

58 minutes ago, boestar said:

that will be offset by all of the people that realized that ordering on line is far more convenient

That shift has already happened and air cargo was brutalized in the recession that followed the financial crisis.

Archived