Memory Lane

A search for a lost document unearthed some random photos of airplanes, airlines and people no longer around.

C-FXOD. Fall of 1989. AC at the old T1 did the ground handling for C3 at the start and this 757 was a loaner from Air 2000. An Oddessy 757 parked next door.  Saw “OD” years later at Abbotford’s Cascasde Aerospace being converted into a freighter.  The interior was stripped from stem to stern. The Red/White laminated “Cabin Secure” card was still sitting on the center console.

4FFE4F6A-22E6-4BBF-BF24-645A79122EA5.jpeg

Not aviation but two of us were pilots. A rainy Canada Day concert north of YYZ. Bass player was in the Army. Sax player used to open for the Hip in an previous band. He made us all sound better. 

335DD1A0-649A-4644-8712-E4B2C04101AD.jpeg

7 hours ago, blues deville said:

Line up on Hotel taxiway for runway 23 at YYZ. Two Wardair A310’s, an AC DC-9 and Canadian Partner BAE-31.

DCC7B698-33AB-4195-ABA8-4FE12C62729A.jpeg

Ontario Express! I'd totally forgotten about them. Awesome shots.

Thanks Blues for the great memories.

1 hour ago, st27 said:

Always thought the 57 was one of the coolest looking a/c.....first saw them in Eastern colours at KPIT. 

Btw ... are you on percussion or guitar?

I’m playing my Les Paul in the shadowy corner. Amplification: Fender Blues Deluxe. 

Decca Records turned our group down, did not even listen to the tape, and told us seeing we were not members of the American Musician's Union they would not entertain the thought of seeing us.

Carried a telegram around for about 3 years until it turned to dust....London Records had advised us that our group, Steve and  The Emeralds, could have 3 hours of studio time in LA if we paid our own way to their building , to cut a demo  record, but unfortunately the telegram arrived  about 3 days before we all set sail for careers after graduating from High School.

Our singer/guitarist  did make a career out of his musical life though.

I wonder what would have happened had we been able to make the trip

Over my flying career I’ve met and worked with several pilot/musicians. Not sure if there is some connection between the two or just a coincidence. I don’t think any of them regretted choosing flying over a musical path.

I started playing in my teens at about the same time I realized I could also learn to fly. I was playing on a regular basis with fellows much older than I was and it was a great learning experience. Just like playing with better golfers, somehow your game improves. However when it came time to pay for a night rating I found my part time job couldn’t fund it, school etc. So I sold my first Les Paul, a ‘71 Deluxe Gold Top and amazingly enough that covered the cost of the rating. While playing guitar and being in a band was always fun, I somehow knew I wasn’t going to make a living at it but I could probably be a commercial pilot. 

However Kip, there were a few times like in this photo leaning over with a sore back and gloves soaked in whale fat that I didn’t daydream over the other idea. :)

5CCBD26D-5E1C-41F2-9CD9-FF951E9BCEE2.jpeg

10 hours ago, vanishing point said:

Forgotten about OEL?  For shame.  My illustrious airline career began in Aug/88 on one of those Jetstreams.  We had 16 of them along with 5 ATR 42’s and 6 EMB120 Brasilia’s......at the peak anyway.

Good memories

6DC342E9-B2BA-4DC7-B10E-E75492964786.jpeg

OEL had a good operation and I’ve worked with many of their former pilots. They were all excellent drivers and talented people. I think most of them ended up as trainers and check pilots. 

Great picture.

Some trivia. DC4 operators who couldn’t or didn’t upgrade to the newer DC6’s would paint a black square panel around the DC4 oval shaped windows so passengers would think they’re in the latest Douglas airliner. 

re their DC3s, they had quite a fleet,

cf-cpv, cf-cpw, cp-cpx, cf-cpy all built in 1942 and cam from C.H. Bagg Inc., Glendale California

most of the rest were built in 1943 & 44.

cf-crw, cf-crx, cfcry, cf-crz, cf-cua, cf-cub, cf-cuc, cf-cue, cf-cuf, cf-cug, and cf-dig.   Cf-crz and CF-cua came from the United States Army Air Force, the rest came from C.h. Babb.https://dmairfield.com/people/babb_ch/

11 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

re their DC3s, they had quite a fleet,

cf-cpv, cf-cpw, cp-cpx, cf-cpy all built in 1942 and cam from C.H. Bagg Inc., Glendale California

most of the rest were built in 1943 & 44.

cf-crw, cf-crx, cfcry, cf-crz, cf-cua, cf-cub, cf-cuc, cf-cue, cf-cuf, cf-cug, and cf-dig.   Cf-crz and CF-cua came from the United States Army Air Force, the rest came from C.h. Babb.https://dmairfield.com/people/babb_ch/

All good soldiers before their airline career at CP.

My first photo from an aircraft, Harvard Mk IV at RCAF Station  Penhold  just after lift off with a Yashica 35 mm camera just received for my 20th Birthday...going up to shoot some aeros from the back seat.

00015_s_13akrvrvqx0409.jpg.f70b344b6abde6a3f4211cf3b28564f7.jpg 

Trying to get a photo of a roll with one hand on the camera and the other on the Stick Harvard MK 4 at RCAF Station Penhold...

00018_s_13akrvrvqx0239.jpg.7e86b7bd907719ddafb72abc54e4e0ab.jpg

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

super dc61.jpg

I have large prints of the CP Air DC-3 and 747 Robert Banks lithographs in my office, everyone has tried to buy the 747 one from me at least once.

He also did a series for Air Canada but they're too rich for my blood.

These aren't my copies.

DSC_5976_zps47573199.jpg

DSC_5974_zps78fb9327.jpg

9 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

My first photo from an aircraft, Harvard Mk IV at RCAF Station  Penhold  just after lift off with a Yashica 35 mm camera just received for my 20th Birthday...going up to shoot some aeros from the back seat.

00015_s_13akrvrvqx0409.jpg.f70b344b6abde6a3f4211cf3b28564f7.jpg 

Trying to get a photo of a roll with one hand on the camera and the other on the Stick Harvard MK 4 at RCAF Station Penhold...

00018_s_13akrvrvqx0239.jpg.7e86b7bd907719ddafb72abc54e4e0ab.jpg

I didn’t know they had colour film back then! :)

Archived