Wind at CYYZ yesterday...yikes !

Jaydee

Add some ice with big brooms and I think we have a new Canadian winter sport. 

The mist off the rollers on our small PEC county lake was blowing sideways by the windows. I’ve never anything like that before. YTR was reporting similar wind conditions. 

70C768DC-2F05-4D72-BBE3-AE9CB1D03F2B.png

19 hours ago, AAS said:

Too bad they weren’t properly secured. 

I imagine you never worked the ramp. Unless things have changed since I did, a lot of empty ULDS are stowed on the ground (forklift-able ones for sure) or on racks that are at the same level as the carriers. Tie downs mostly didn't exist.

I only spent 10 years working the ramp at YYZ. Our racks wouldn’t allow a container to fly off. Neither would the dollies. That is if they were used properly. 

The maritimes had three wind events of the same magnitude this past winter alone - happens every winter (or Fall).  Just saying - when someone from the East Coast says it was windy -  now you know what they meant!

16 hours ago, AAS said:

I only spent 10 years working the ramp at YYZ. Our racks wouldn’t allow a container to fly off. Neither would the dollies. That is if they were used properly. 

Lucky that your operation was well equipped, from the scene at YYZ it appears others were not.

Talked to a guy this week that is a roofer.  we are in a small town and by saturday afternoon he had a backlog of over 40 calls to answer for roof repairs.

Archived