Canada Buys USED fighters

Jaydee

Apparently Sajjan spotted shopping in Value Village  for uniforms.  :P

“ Canada is scrapping a plan to buy 18 Boeing Super Hornet fighter jets amid a deepening dispute with the U.S. aerospace company, three sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.”

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-scraps-plan-to-buy-boeing-fighters-and-will-go-with-used-australian-jets-sources

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

standby for the zillion $ upgrade package to make them combat ready...  

"Australia’s defence materiel group produced a detailed report 2012 noting that the country’s FA-18s were rapidly running out of airframe life and becoming increasingly expensive to maintain. Continuing to fly the old Hornets, regardless of their origin, will not only put the safety of our pilots and aircrews at risk, but more importantly, put them into combat theatres against a superior adversary.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/dennis-roberts-buying-old-f-18-jets-is-a-bad-idea-it-just-makes-our-existing-problem-worse

Dennis “Fireball” Roberts retired as a colonel from the Royal Canadian Air Force.

3 hours ago, Jaydee said:

Apparently Sajjan spotted shopping in Value Village  for uniforms.  :P

“ Canada is scrapping a plan to buy 18 Boeing Super Hornet fighter jets amid a deepening dispute with the U.S. aerospace company, three sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.”

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canada-scraps-plan-to-buy-boeing-fighters-and-will-go-with-used-australian-jets-sources

Let's hope it is a better deal than the last time the Liberals went shopping for used.

Canada paid $750 million for four used Victoria-class Royal Navy submarines in 1998. They had been decommissioned in 1993 when the U.K. decided to focus solely on nuclear subs.

Liberal defense policy has always been to have something but whether or not it works is secondary.

Just look at the utility vehicles that Cretin sent to Afghanistan or sending troops to Cyprus without bullets for their riflrs.

16 minutes ago, Fido said:

Liberal defense policy has always been to have something but whether or not it works is secondary.

Just look at the utility vehicles that Cretin sent to Afghanistan or sending troops to Cyprus without bullets for their riflrs.

I also notice that most of the Promises the Libs have made for our armed forces will not occur until after the next election.  I guess they are currently spending our money on more important things (NOT!). :head:

30 minutes ago, st27 said:

Or Chrétien cancelling the Cormorants because they were too expensive....meanwhile 25 YEARS later .....

They cancelled the original contract because it was the Conservatives in power when it was chosen.

Same thing for the delay in the Frigate program and fighter aircraft replacement.

6 hours ago, Fido said:

They cancelled the original contract because it was the Conservatives in power when it was chosen.

That was certainly part of it. But:

I had more 2 bells on the Sea King than any other critter I’ve flown put together. Even so, there was fairly strong (albeit anecdotal) public support for this cancelation at the time. I often heard people in the Halifax/Shearwater area calling the EH101 “an ASW Cadillac.” Remember “I will write zero helicopters… Chretien?” I sure do, it was pretty popular at the time. This always struck me as a case of the people getting exactly what they said they wanted... or maybe deserved. He was pretty upfront about the whole thing.

PS.   Part of the popularity of the cancelation was the economic circumstances at the time and the increased cost that came when the contract was expanded to include SAR aircraft. In fairness, had it been ASW only, the deal might have got done. The public “shock and dismay” over the contract cancelation fees prompted me to ask “What did you think was going to happen?” for the first time.

Public support for Chretiens cancellation was largely due to misinformation floated by the Liberals and the notion you can adequately equip the defence of a nation on the cheap. It has gotten to the point the Canadian Coast Guard is putting out civilian tenders for ice breaking on the Great Lakes (not that the CCG is part of the defence budget, but also underfunded as well).

A spin-off effect of the Cormorant cancellation was 700+ engineering jobs lost at Canadian Marconi in Yul.

I am still a believer that the choice to go witht eh used F-18 platform is the smarter choice for a stop gap measure.  We already have the tooling, spares and expertise to operate and maintain the fleet.  This gives us the aircraft to support our role while the bureaucrats try to get their heads out of their [dark place] and actually have a competition to procure the right fighter platform for Canada.  

1 hour ago, boestar said:

I am still a believer that the choice to go witht eh used F-18 platform is the smarter choice for a stop gap measure.  We already have the tooling, spares and expertise to operate and maintain the fleet.  This gives us the aircraft to support our role while the bureaucrats try to get their heads out of their [dark place] and actually have a competition to procure the right fighter platform for Canada.  

Good point, but let's hope they are in good condition. I wonder if they will fly here or be transported by ship?  I imagine that the purchase will include spares but of course we will still rely on Boeing to provide anything extra.  

Good question. Would be a long multi stage exercise but a good way for aircrew to build some flight time. I suppose it would get complicated if a break down occurred enroute. The only problem with used equipment.....no warranty. 

And this allows Trudeau to punt the replacement problem down the field for another 10years while he starts the procurement excercise all over again....(Harper bad, Trudeau good) while the defence of the country is relegated to flying antiques that everybody else has gotten rid of. This won’t be a stop gap measure. Remember the SeaKings.

17 minutes ago, st27 said:

And this allows Trudeau to punt the replacement problem down the field for another 10years while he starts the procurement excercise all over again....(Harper bad, Trudeau good) while the defence of the country is relegated to flying antiques that everybody else has gotten rid of. This won’t be a stop gap measure. Remember the SeaKings.

st27, Sadly reality says, the number of fighter jets that we have, only have a imaginary role in our defence.  Too few and too spread out to stop any major military attack on Canada. 

Some years ago I went on a tour of the USS Coral Sea on it's decommissioning voyage to be turned into Razor Blades.  At the time it was the smallest Aircraft Carrier in the US fleet.  It held more aircraft than our entire armed forces at the time.  That is a truly sad reality

There will be modification requirements to bring them to the Canadian Standard.  But after all is said and done the cost will be far less than a complete re-tooling for a completely different aircraft. Brand spanking new Superhornets as a stop gap was never a good idea.  At least here we have the tooling, skills, spares and experience.

Once a decision is made on the Replacement aircraft then the money really starts to flow.  Procurement of the airframes, all new tooling, training, logistical support, etc. will cost a fortune.  We don't need that right now.

“Once a decision is made...”      With Trudeau’s track record on issues like peace keeping missions and MMIW, and the conditions now being applied to selection process (NAFTA challenges), the Air Force will be trying to fly these aircraft for the next 10 years.

Until somebody in the know speaks out, we will never get a straight answer on the condition of these a/c from Sajan or Trudeau.

8 hours ago, Fido said:

Do they have

Compatible radios

Compatible electronics

Engines

Anti-ice 

How much hangar time to swap compasses

Make them the same as what we already have

I don’t know the answers to these questions, but I know that L-3 in Montreal does have the answers. They’ve done all the upgrades on our existing fleet, and I’m sure they will now have 18 more aircraft to upgrade.

Archived