I say old boy...haven't we met?

bluemic

I probably shouldn't even waste my energy by typing, but sometimes one has way too much time on one's hands, sometimes it's just too hot for the beach or sometimes one likes to imagine life as a schoolteacher.  

Before I go down this road: a caveat or two.  I sincerely (and I sincerely, sincerely mean this) pray that I'm absolutely, totally, bigly wrong with what I'm implying in my words below.  I also pray that anyone who reads what I've written won't rat me out to the you-know-who-in-the-chocolate-shirts.

If I AM wrong, it'll be the easiest "Aw shucks, I did a boo boo!" to pass my lips, er, keyboard and I'll dance happily ever after with visions of sugar plums in my head.  BUT if I'm right, the fallout - a term from my early CAF days that seems oddly pertinent - will not be pleasant.  Lives will change forever.

I doubt the changes will involve very many sugar plums.

However, enough of my prefacing, my excuses, dire predictions and other CYA bafflegab.  

We all know that there's an old expression that begins, "Those who neglect the lessons of history...yada, yada, yada."   (This well-worn cliche goes on to mention really doomy, gloomy things, but we'll skip those bits in the interests of brevity.)  Anyway, let's just see if my little trip down History Lane can qualify as a 'lesson' - and whether I might've missed a lucrative career in the teaching profession.

Ahem! [Clears throat.]  Good morning class, please take your seats and remove your red ball caps.

As we discussed last week, on the night of 27 February 1933 a fire broke out in the German Congress (Reichstag). While the exact circumstances of the fire are unknown, Herr Hitler quickly blamed the Communist Party for causing the blaze.  Der Fuhrer backed up his claim by brandishing papers containing the names of 205 card-carrying communists, a number that was quietly reduced to 57 when it became yesterday's news.  Kellyanne Conway later confirmed these facts on FOX, although to give her her due, she did stumble over the word 'Communist' several times, appearing to be hung up on another term that sounded something like 'puzzlin''.

Seizing on the burning of the Reichstag building and claiming it to be the thin edge of the communist wedge or the very first domino or the work of a contracted arsonist, the Nazis threw millions of Germans into convulsions of terror at the concept of Communist...um, well...terror-ists.  Leftists world-wide convulsed in sympathy while wannabe jihadists turned towards Mecca and thanked their lucky crescent moons that Hitler hadn't (yet) focussed on them.  Meanwhile, Hitler's press secretary reiterated that while der Fuhrer was indeed targeting a specific group of really, really bad hombres, he hadn't yet settled on which specific group.

To continue our lesson....

The "Reichstag Fire Decree" is the common name of the "Decree of the Reich President for the Protection of People and State" issued by German president Paul von Rya...er, Hindenburg - on the advice of Hitler - in direct response to the fire.  (At the same time, Paul, once a critic of the Fuhrer, managed to inject new life into the previously extinct word 'unctuous'.)  The decree nullified many of the key civil liberties of German citizens including freedom of speech, freedom of picking the right books to burn and freedom to Tweet whenever they chose. Lederhosen, thankfully, was still listed as optional.  But with Nazis in powerful positions in the government, the decree was used as the legal basis for the imprisonment of anyone considered to be opponents and to suppress publications not considered friendly to the cause.  (Kellyanne later pronounced this as just another fake news story since only those publications dissing the leader would be affected.  Hidden well down the list in the same fake news decree, Alec Baldwin was officially declared 'persona non grata' and subsequently frog-marched to the Manitoba border.)

Back to actual history...

Next, the Enabling Act was passed by Germany's parliament on March 23, 1933. It was the second major step after the Fire Decree through which the Nazis obtained dictatorial powers using largely legal means. The Act enabled Tr...er, Hitler and his cabinet to enact laws without the participation of the Congress-cum-Reichstag.  (History records that Paul and the rest of the Reichstag were afterwards seen scratching their heads, exchanging confused looks and tweeting "WTF?"  Some were heard mumbling, "Hey! What happened to our job-share?"  A few mused whether they should've read the fine print on Obama's universal unemployment insurance program.)

More real - okay, only some of it's real - history again....

The formal name of the Enabling Act translates as the "Law to Remedy the Distress of the People and the Empire", but is more commonly known as the "Law to make Germany great - and safe - again" or simply the "Don't worry, I'm really, really smart and I know more than anyone about everything Law".

[Sound of ringing bell]

Unfortunately class, that brings us to the end of today's lesson.  Tonight's homework will be to spot any historical similarities to recent events and to write a short essay on why you agree or why you can say "it ain't so, Joe, oops, Justin.  Or Billy Bob.  Or Ivanka."   For added credits, please explain what actual - or staged - or even imaginary - event you think could lead to this happening again.

And yes students, I'll admit that there may have been a little poetic licence taken with today's lesson, but do your best to spot the parallels anyway.  If it gives you hope, rest assured it'll be heaps easier than last week's surprise "Where's Waldo?" test.

Class dismissed, don't forget your hats.

[Not really seeing it?  Here's the link you want: www.cnib.ca]

Note: with mangled quotes from various sources including Wikipedia but mixed with liberal doses of juxtaposed events and bound together using inputs from a really, really paranoid mind. 

Fabulous mic, Neil McDonald and Rex Murphy, step aside, you can't keep up.

You might need to keep an ear open for gents in black suits with wires in their ears knocking on your door after that post.

Such stuff might attract attention. :unsure: (Just kidding, I hope).

Anyone taking bets on the incumbent finishing his term, and I am not suggesting an unlawful act.

If he does anything near an impeachable action I think he will be on thin ice.

I'd think that McConnell and Ryan  would rather deal with President Pence than the mercurial and unpredictable incumbent.

It's wonderful and refreshing to know someone's occupying the Office of POTUS that's not only capable, but has already accomplished more good on behalf of his Country than his predecessor and the guy that came before did collectively over the preceding 16 years.

Seeing as the Left has nothing to offer in the way of support for their misguided behaviour, would it be unreasonable for the Right to conclude the Left is secretly hoping their nonsensical acting - out will climax in civil war?

Albeit slim, the world may still have a fighting chance, but only if the Leftie crowd stops daydreaming and 'quickly' finds its way back to reality.

Kidding about civil war; I could only wish Moon.

The Left keeps ratcheting up their game and it's becoming violent. For example, one Right leaning 'Canadian' media organization recently had to hire body guards to protect their 'female' staff from physical assault. There is video footage of one case in which an out of control male is seen physically assaulting a female reporter during a so - called protest in YYZ.  The cops arrested and charged the offender; the media org is suing him too. The arrest aside, most alarming was the observation that no one, not a single one of the other protesters stepped in to protect the young lady from the male thug.   

As was expected, as time passes, the inability to advance the cause, whatever it may be, is clearly supercharging the Left. The protesting Left is growing ever more frustrated as they come to realize their message, whatever that may be, is falling on deaf ears, which will / is propelling their frenzy and the senseless corresponding destructive reaction; i.e., their protests are morphing into riots.

On several occasions I've asked the anti Trump crowd here on this board to enlighten us with respect to their ultimate objective, but the best that's been offered to date is Deicer's never ending stream of opinion pieces that do little more than stimulate like minded individuals.    

If you cannot see the collusion with an enemy state, lies, infighting, and actions contrary to the Constitution of the U.S., then there is really no point to discuss, is there?

If you find the agenda of Bannon and Breitbart enlightening, then maybe there is no hope.

"If you cannot see the collusion with an enemy state, lies, infighting, and actions contrary to the Constitution of the U.S., then there is really no point to discuss, is there?"

I freely admit; I cannot not 'see' any of the illusions mentioned above.

"If you find the agenda of Bannon and Breitbart enlightening, then maybe there is no hope."

I also admit to not being aware of any form of the 'agenda' you're attributing to Bannon and or Breitbart.

For the record, I know about as much about Bannon as any of us, which is little, but from the information available, I have come to appreciate him as an honourable, accomplished and capable man.

If the Left would just stop drinking the Soros flavoured koolaid and ignore the relative opinion pieces & other fake news, they'd be doing themselves and their fellow citizens a big favour.

BTW; why aren't any of you congratulating Trump and General Mattis for their huge win at NATO yesterday?

PS: If I may; while I don't believe they're justifiable, I fully appreciate your current feelings for Trump and crew Deicer. That aside, I'm compelled to inquire again; what form of conclusion do you envision to the ongoing & ever nastier public demonstrations?

It is like we are in the late '60s and '70s again with the protests. 

Or with the billionaires now in power, much like Revolutionary France days.  All that needs to happen is the 'Let them eat cake' moment.

While you may call it fake news, I have taken to googling most of the articles I post, as well as going to fact checking websites, so I do feel confident that the 'fake news' that I post is well enough vetted.  I do not put up anything from blogs, and I don't classify it as left or right, it just is.  Others are pigeon holing it for me.

So if you can counter with 'legitimate' vetted news as to the benefits that the current administration brings to the table, please do.  So far, none has been forthcoming.

Meanwhile in the real world:

The Pope went on vacation for a few days to visit the rugged mountains of Alaska. He was driving along near a campground when he heard a frantic commotion just at the edge of the woods.  He found a helpless Democrat wearing shorts, sandals, a 'Vote for Hillary' hat and a 'Save the Trees' shirt.  The man was screaming and struggling frantically, thrashing all about trying to free himself from the grasp of a 10-foot grizzly bear.

As the Pope watched in horror, a group of Republican loggers wearing Go Trump shirts came racing up. One quickly fired a .44 magnum slug  
right into the bear's chest. The two other men pulled the semiconscious Democrat from the bear's grasp.

Then using baseball bats, the three loggers finished off the bear.  Two of the men dragged the dead grizzly onto the bed of their pickup 
truck while the other tenderly placed the injured Democrat in the back seat.

As they began to leave, the Pope summoned all of them over to him. "I give you my blessing for your brave actions!" he proudly proclaimed. "I have heard there was bitter hatred between Republican loggers and Democratic environmental activists, but now I've seen with my own eyes that this is not true.

As the Pope drove off, one logger asked his buddies, "Who was that guy?

"Dude, that was the Pope," another replied. "He's in direct contact with Heaven and has access to all wisdom.

"Well," the logger said, "he may have access to all wisdom, but he don't know squat about bear hunting. By the way, is the bait still alive or do we need to go back to California and get another one? 

"So if you can counter with 'legitimate' vetted news as to the benefits that the current administration brings to the table, please do.  So far, none has been forthcoming."

Good god Deicer, you are responding to my post above and yet somehow missed the observation & question I posed with respect to one of the more recent 'benefits' the Trump Administration has returned to their Country; your oversight would appear to validate my contention very well, thank you.

8 hours ago, DEFCON said:

For example, one Right leaning 'Canadian' media organization recently had to hire body guards to protect their 'female' staff from physical assault. There is video footage of one case in which an out of control male is seen physically assaulting a female reporter during a so - called protest in YYZ.  The cops arrested and charged the offender; the media org is suing him too. The arrest aside, most alarming was the observation that no one, not a single one of the other protesters stepped in to protect the young lady from the male thug.   

Defcon,

Could you provide a link to this incident/story in Toronto please?  

Cheers,

mic

I no longer have the email link to direct you to the full Rebel News story, but here's another that leads to a page full of Youtube examples of violence. I can see that one of the shorter clips featured is a cut taken from the full version of the YYZ assault.

6 hours ago, deicer said:

Or with the billionaires now in power, much like Revolutionary France days.  All that needs to happen is the 'Let them eat cake' moment.

I don't get you deicer.

You've railed on for years about the "man"...aka big money ruling the world and calling the shots. Yes, Trump has money...but if there is anyone going against the establishment it is he. You should be a flagbearer.

If you want to have a cross-to-bear, raise it against the true fascists...the left loonies & anarchists who want to stifle any contrary opinion.

Best!

3 hours ago, DEFCON said:

I no longer have the email link to direct you to the full Rebel News story, but here's another that leads to a page full of Youtube examples of violence. I can see that one of the shorter clips featured is a cut taken from the full version of the YYZ assault.

Uuummm...didn't see any link there defcon, however thanks for making the effort.

You're not perhaps talking about this story are you?  

http://globalnews.ca/news/3198597/rebel-staff-member-alleges-she-was-assaulted-at-womens-march-in-edmonton/

If this is the one you meant, the Fake News People are reporting it as happening in Edmonton, not YYZ.  (D*mn FNP'ers, they even lie about the location of their fake events!)   But location isn't important, it's "the rest of the story" that counts.  (Sorry Paul.)

Oddly, the video claims to show that the assailant swatted the camera, not the "young woman reporter."  (Hmmm...not sure that even ancient old moi would refer to Sheila Gunn Reid as 'young'...but youth is all in the eye of the beholder I guess.)  

And speaking of eyes, can you believe it, the link below purports to show two eye-witnesses disputing Ms. Gunn Reid's assertion that she suffered a really, really big hit. And it's claimed that the camera was on a tripod!  I mean, where DO they get these people?  Brainwashed zombies who lie at the drop of a hat...or a camera!

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/01/23/rebel-womens-march-edmonton_n_14337912.html

Lastly, the first video oddly - but cleverly - shows many people stepping in to separate the aggressive cretin from our shining heroine of unbiased journalism and thus they prevent any further interaction - but then again that could easily be photoshopped couldn't it?  I daresay my grandkids could do it.  Obviously the real story ended up on the cutting room floor!

I dunno defcon...ya just can't trust anyone these days. The Fake News.  The Real News.  The girl doing the weather.  Other people.  Catholic priests.  Elected officials whose names start with T-R-U.

To paraphrase the wise words of Dear Leader: "Open minds my friends, open minds."

15 hours ago, DEFCON said:

It's wonderful and refreshing to know someone's occupying the Office of POTUS that's not only capable, but has already accomplished more good on behalf of his Country than his predecessor and the guy that came before did collectively over the preceding 16 years.

Seeing as the Left has nothing to offer in the way of support for their misguided behaviour, would it be unreasonable for the Right to conclude the Left is secretly hoping their nonsensical acting - out will climax in civil war?

Albeit slim, the world may still have a fighting chance, but only if the Leftie crowd stops daydreaming and 'quickly' finds its way back to reality.

You're as crazy and delusional as Trump. What has he done? Seriously? The whole Republican agenda is bogging down in Congress because he's giving it no direction. His poorly drafted immigration order has been stayed by the courts. His NSA director has just walked the plank, and the man Trump offered the job to - Admiral John Harwood has refused it - because Trump won't allow him to pick his own staff. According to multiple media, Harwood told associates he wouldn't join that "**bleep** show" Trump is running. Trump's the Manchurian Candidate. Even Fox is turning on him after his ridiculous press conference today. 

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/onpolitics/2017/02/16/shepard-smith-slams-president-trump/98023272/

^^^ As of Feb.1st...

Bold my emphasis / comment...

http://www.euronews.com/2017/01/31/this-is-what-trump-has-done-so-far

Memorandums and proclamations

As well as the executive orders, President Trump has signed a number of presidential memoranda – which have less legal force but still have important consequences in setting out policy priorities. 

• He moved quickly to halt new federal regulations pending review by the new administration. 
  • The president imposed a recruitment freeze on federal government, exempting the military. 
  • Another memorandum called for the US to withdraw from the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) – a largely symbolic move as the deal had not been ratified by Congress. 
  • Two more actions seek to renew controversial projects to build the Keystone and Dakota Access oil pipelines. 
  • One Republican favourite, the “Mexico City policy”, or “global gag rule” to its critics, is back – banning US funding for international non-governmental organisations that promote abortion. 
  • Administration officials have been banned from lobbying the US on behalf of a foreign government. (Love that...hello Hillary).
  • Another memorandum seeks to “rebuild the US armed forces” and “pursue peace through strength”. 
  • The president also orders a new plan “to defeat the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria” to be drawn up within 30 days.

Thanks for the list Firefox.

Dagger

I guess it's all a matter of perception?

Trump will get his Cabinet in place eventually and then he'll really start to roll. The Left is well aware that the interference they're generating at present will become less relevant with the passage of time, which means it won't be long before we arrive at a critical junction. The big question in my mind; will the Left be able to contain itself going forward, or will it become an uncontained supercritical mass, Country be damned?

I keep asking Deicer what the protesters end game looks like from his perspective, but as you know, he hasn't been able to provide an answer; can you?

I hold to the view that the very stability and future of the Country is at stake; ours will go down the sewer too if things don't quiet down soon. Accordingly, the onus is on the Left to accept the election results for what they are and move on to perhaps expend their energies on useful projects such as the Constitutional reform of the electoral system.

2 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Thanks for the list Firefox.

Dagger

I guess it's all a matter of perception?

Trump will get his Cabinet in place eventually and then he'll really start to roll. The Left is well aware that the interference they're generating at present will become less relevant with the passage of time, which means it won't be long before we arrive at a critical junction. The big question in my mind; will the Left be able to contain itself going forward, or will it become an uncontained supercritical mass, Country be damned?

I keep asking Deicer what the protesters end game looks like from his perspective, but as you know, he hasn't been able to provide an answer; can you?

I hold to the view that the very stability and future of the Country is at stake; ours will go down the sewer too if things don't quiet down soon. Accordingly, the onus is on the Left to accept the election results for what they are and move on to perhaps expend their energies on useful projects such as the Constitutional reform of the electoral system.

When 61% of the US adult population as per current polling is dissatisfied with his administration, it is disingenuous to talk about all critics as "The Left". It's just your lame attempt to stigmatize people who don't think like you. The dissatisfied cover a cross-section of the population, and include many "NeverTrump" conservatives, center-rightests, moderates as well as those who genuinely can be called "The Left", i.e. progressives. 

As for your assertion that things will fall into place and "then he'll really start to roll", there is no evidence that he or the people around him know how to govern, and until he has a chief of staff who is truly experienced in high level government administration, and has strong Washington experience and contacts,  that won't change fast. 

A total of 696 executive branch positions require Senate confirmation. As of today, he hasn't even nominated anyone for 662 of those.

Here's a leading conservative's view of Trump, barely a month into his presidency 

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/opinion/what-a-failed-trump-administration-looks-like.html

Like I said; it's all a matter of perception.

You seem to have already forgotten the 18 month campaign; in spite of all the predictions and op eds to the contrary, Trump won, and in a landslide.

Beware, it's unreasonable to expect that the normally quiet, peaceful and respectful Right will be willing to put up with eight years of insults from and poor behaviour on the part of the Left.

Archived