Allegiant fires pilot for not protecting company assets!

HST

Unbelievable. The FAA should shut them down.

I've worked in environments where your first feeling on encountering an emergency situation is what's going to happen to you in the "debriefing", oft times hostile interrogations by your "management" pilots - like there is such a thing. Company Check Pilots ARE NOT management pilots. We went through this argument 25 years ago and had the full and complete backing of Labour Canada and the then CLRB.

There might be two management pilots in an organization - the Chief Pilot and the DFO. Questioning and then sanctioning as in this instance will take away the pilot's decision when a more serious incident occurs.

Assuming the facts are as presented, this may stand as one of the stupidest things I’ve heard from (what I call) the “MBA crew”. In many ways, I no longer recognize or identify with the profession. At some point, share holders will come to the conclusion that stupid people with MBAs are a bigger threat to profitability than pilot wages.

The same manager who fired the guy was also in command of an Allegiant flight that was running low on fuel while trying to land at a closed airport just a few weeks later. Sounds like a wonderful outfit.

Here is the paperwork:

https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/2015-11-10-complaint.pdf

If you read the ATC transcript do you get the impression that one of the fire trucks is telling the pilots to not evacuate?

Also - the amount of damages for a shattered career seems pretty low.

The document says "in excess of $10,000" and subsequently says "to be determined by the jury". It must simply be a procedural thing, perhaps to determine which court in which the case will be heard. The actual amount of requested damages would be presented to the jury during the trial, I would think.

I don't dispute the captain's right to make the determination to evacuate based on his assessment of the situation, and I think that Allegiant management is out of their minds, but I would not be putting passengers down slides and off wings for "some smoke" coming from an engine and an "odour of smoke and electrical burning" reported by flight attendants. There was no indication of excess smoke in the cabin and no indication that he further consulted with the flight attendants after landing. An overheated oven or a loose cannon plug can create those type of smells and we're all familiar with them. The AVHerald account of this doesn't even say smoke... only an odour of smoke.

In this case, 4 people that didn't need to be hurt received minor injuries in the evacuation. If the smoke had gotten worse, then an evacuation could have taken place.... fire services were surrounding the aircraft and everyone was on alert.

Here is the paperwork:

https://consumermediallc.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/2015-11-10-complaint.pdf

If you read the ATC transcript do you get the impression that one of the fire trucks is telling the pilots to not evacuate?

No, I don't. The person was never identified but more significantly, didn't respond when challenged.

Unbelievable. I had hoped this kind of airline management was dead. Capital D "DEAD".

Hopeless hope, I guess...

but I would not be putting passengers down slides and off wings for "some smoke" coming from an engine and an "odour of smoke and electrical burning" reported by flight attendants.

Two things:

1) You weren't there

2) I wasn't either.

These things unfold quickly and sometimes evacuations commence without the flight deck involved. Given that the reports had come from the cabin, perhaps the skipper had to decide whether to start an orderly process by order of the flight deck, or have it happen anyway, with potentially worse consequences. We simply weren't there in those moments.

The source of the inappropriate radio call should be found and charged. The FAA needs to put the appropriate Allegiant manager's head on a pike. As Moon mentioned, this airline's management style went out of fashion with the moat.

All just my opinion

Vs

No, I don't. The person was never identified but more significantly, didn't respond when challenged.

Unbelievable. I had hoped this kind of airline management was dead. Capital D "DEAD".

Hopeless hope, I guess...

Interesting that some people just assume that the unidentified voice was management.

There is no proof of that at all. First, he would have to have a radio both tuned to, and capable of transmitting on ground. That means that they almost had to be in another aircraft. What are the chances of a manager just happening to be in another aircraft and in a position to see the condition of the subject aircraft?

It might have been another pilot who assessed the smoke from the engine as being superfluous, but didn't want to be identified for fear that something was worse inside.

Yes... Allegiant management has proven themselves to be idiots, but that doesn't mean that the transmission was from them.

Inchman, to be clear, my comment on management was not implying it was a manager on the radio. To your point, we don't know who made that call. That said, this management team has already amassed a copious file of IQ-challenged behaviour. If they want to act old school, then time to take them to the woodshed of said, old school.

Intervening during an emergency then not answering a challenge is highly reckless, no matter who made that call. For all we know, it could have been another member of the brain trust that have been sporadically calling aircraft to give bogus ATC clearances.

All just my opinion

Vs

• 3 weeks later...

Archived