Westjet Pilots Begin Union Vote — What's At Stake?

Lakelad

WestJet pilots begin union vote — what's at stake?

Experts say unionization could change corporate culture at freewheeling, low-cost airline

Mon Jul 20, 2015 - CBC News
By Tracy Johnson

There's a lot at stake for WestJet, its employees and, potentially, its customers as the airline's pilots begin voting this week on whether to unionize.

If the pilots vote in favour of a union, it becomes more likely that other employee groups will follow. And that, say experts, could forever change a company that has always projected an image of being freewheeling, low-cost and decidedly non-union. A movement is also afoot to unionize the airline's flight attendants.

There are questions about whether customer service will suffer and whether costs for the Calgary-based airline will go up, forcing fares to do the same.

Customer service

Mark Satov, a Toronto-based customer service analyst who has worked with both unionized and non-unionized companies, says customer service often changes in a unionized culture.

"When you have a union, you don't have the same tools in your toolkit as an HR leader to impact culture," said Satov.

"It's harder because you don't have the same ability to discipline people who aren't giving the same customer service, you don't have the ability to reward those who do."

But the group working to unionize the flight attendants says it's more likely customer service will suffer when there is apathy among employees, something one representative says has begun at WestJet.

"We are fight attendants who truly believe that customers service is about taking care of our external guests and our internal guests, but that can only happen when we take care of each other," a representative of the WestJet Professional Flight Attendants Association told CBC News. CBC has agreed not to name members of the organizing group because of concern about their jobs.

"WestJet's culture was based on the concept that we will take care of our people, who will take care of the guests, who will take care of the bottom line," the representative said.

"Over the years, we've seen a shift in values. As WestJet has grown, the priority has become to the investors and the profitability of the company."

The group working to unionize the pilots is not talking to the media, but has set out its position on both its webpage and Facebook page.

"A vote for certification is not a vote against WestJet,"

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the rest of the article. Note that WestJet is said to have attempted to block the vote.

Corporate culture
​​Ben Cherniavsky, an airline analyst at the investment bank Raymond James said in a research report in June that — as the airline moved from a simple, low-cost structure to a more complex full-service airline, with charges for checked bags and premium seating — there has been tension about corporate culture at WestJet.
The question is: Will unions change WestJet's culture? Or has WestJet's culture already changed and that's why the union movement has gained momentum?
"Airlines are 24/7, 364," said George Smith, a former airline executive and current adjunct professor at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.
"It's a very busy and rapidly changing world, the needs of employees are not always first in those operations when you're trying to fill the seats of the airlines and get the aircraft moving. It's a modern day assembly line and one that never stops."
WestJet has traditionally enjoyed a cost advantage over Air Canada, though it has eroded as the airline matured and employees moved up the pay ladder. At the same time, Air Canada has negotiated long-term labour agreements that have given it more flexibility.
While there have been some indications of concern from Bay Street analysts about possible unionization at WestJet, the shares did not noticeably react to news in June that the unionization movement was gaining steam.
That may be because there is confidence that the airline can withstand any turbulence unionization may bring.
"Given the track record that WestJet has with positive employee relations is that even if they do get unionized, they will find a way to work constructively with the union and this will be a minor speed bump along the road," said Smith.
WestJet challenged vote
According to documents obtained by CBC News, WestJet challenged the validity of the pilots' vote.
In submissions to the Canada Industrial Relations Board, the airline questioned, among other things, whether pilots for its regional service, WestJet Encore, would be included in the pilots' vote and challenged whether the union cards already signed by pilots were valid.
The CIRB ruled that the ballot could go ahead, with 1,261 of WestJet's pilots voting to whether to certify.
The vote begins on July 22 and lasts until Aug. 5, with the results being released soon after voting ends.

"Airlines are 24/7, 364," said George Smith, a former airline executive and current adjunct professor at Queen's University in Kingston, Ont.

Those who can't do, teach.

Not sure how the Delta problems equate to Westjet, rather it appears that Delta's problems are the result of their history of financial problems coupled with their merger with NorthWest

Not sure how the Delta problems equate to Westjet, rather it appears that Delta's problems are the result of their history of financial problems coupled with their merger with NorthWest

Sorry if you missed my point. Just an example of how a strong and well paid unionized group of pilots (and Delta has many who are also MBA's and lawyers) can redirect the purchase of future aircraft.

Sorry if you missed my point. Just an example of how a strong and well paid unionized group of pilots (and Delta has many who are also MBA's and lawyers) can redirect the purchase of future aircraft.

Ah so. And I think that may be the reason the WestJet Pilots might vote in favour of a union. Next down the list would of course be the ability to select "Home Base", time off, Aircraft type to name but a few. It is my understanding that the present system at WestJet did serve the pilots well in the past but now that the airline has grown and introduced new bases / aircraft etc. there is apparently some backing for change. Of course not being involved, I will only get a feeling for the "real" desire for change based on the outcome of the voting. In any event I hope, that any divide within the pilot group does not cause a lot of friction no matter how the vote goes.

Union or no union, life will go on.

I always laugh at the melodrama that plays out when employee groups are conducting representation votes. All the gloom and doom and dire prognostications..... a company gets the union it deserves. Perhaps WJ should be asking itself what it did to contribute to the discontentment of its pilots.

The sun will rise again with or without a certification. But getting the WJ employees customer focused is imperative for continued corporate success.

Perhaps WJ should be asking itself what it did to contribute to the discontentment of its pilots.

As a complete outsider I would say WJ can only be blamed for becoming a larger and successful Canadian airline. Unfortunately that success also creates less personal treatment of employees. Newly hired are not promoted as quickly as earlier groups were and a distinctive "we and they" developes when it comes to lifestyle, schedules and of course the almighty payday. And we all know that T4 guy is having some very good years.

blues

I think you see the forest.

There is definitely a "we and they" for some. What they forget is that most of those who came to WestJet in the early years had already toiled for decades in crap pay , crap schedule , crap vacation type jobs. That anyone in their twenties or early thirties complains about how long it takes to the left seat here cannot see that forest. I wish that back then I had the opportunity they now enjoy.

As for the T4 guy , I say big deal. He works hard , he gets the benefits of his labour. WestJet has always worked this way. Work hard and it will pay off. That's what we all signed up for and to push unionisation now to attain "industry standard" makes me wonder why they came here in the first place. WestJet is not an "industry standard" airline and that is how we built this thing so efficiently and quickly.

You are correct. It is less personal. There are a lot of things I miss but to think that unionisation is going to take us back to the good old days is folly.

It's a shame that some want the classic work less/more pay that they think unionisation will bring.

This process is called "Maturing" Westjet is becoming a Mature airline. Unfortunately that process comes with some trials and tribulations. Labour unrest is usually the first.

Soon the "Me Too's" will climb out of the wood work. Then COSTS will start to increase. It is inevitable, Unless controlled at the outset

I think costs is one thing WS has a pretty good handle on no matter what happens. And costs can be controlled because if/when this pilot group organizes themselves, everything they now have and enjoy will be on the negotiation table. That's when you need a hearty group of volunteers who will fight and get some of it back. Not always the case.

Big decision. Interesting to see where this goes.

blues

Maybe I'm thick but why would the WestJet pilots put themselves into a position in which they have to fight to keep what they already have?

Does the WPPA actually believe that they can make gains and not just rearrange the deck chairs ?

All this teeth gnashing for what?

IMO this has turned into a pissing match with a win at all costs agenda.

Those voting yes for unionisation are willing to roll the dice on a big black hole of unknowns.

Even if I was unhappy , I'm not sure I would take that leap of faith and end up really , really unhappy wishing for the good old days...

blues

Maybe I'm thick but why would the WestJet pilots put themselves into a position in which they have to fight to keep what they already have?

Does the WPPA actually believe that they can make gains and not just rearrange the deck chairs ?

All this teeth gnashing for what?

IMO this has turned into a pissing match with a win at all costs agenda.

Those voting yes for unionisation are willing to roll the dice on a big black hole of unknowns.

Even if I was unhappy , I'm not sure I would take that leap of faith and end up really , really unhappy wishing for the good old days...

I've sat on both sides of these negotiations. Not always a good time. Every item involved with the pilots daily work lives can and will be reviewed. For example, longer layovers after trans Atlantic flight for a lower per diem rate. Pilots get something and the airline controls their costs. I'm sure most of their current WPPA agreement could be maintained but not necessarily.

But the pilots do have some leverage when it comes to bargaining, I doubt they would be legislated to work and I doubt Encore could take up the slack to replace them but WestJet is nicely placed to be able to use Encore in the event of any disruption in service. ....

Archived