Air Canada Rouge Flight Review

blues deville

Guest rozar s'macco

Quality time with the some of the post baby boomers as a family seems to have devolved into dropping the kids at an activity and then running to do the chores that can not otherwise be done since both parents have found the need to work so as to be able to provide all the "needs" of their generation and that is simply too bad for all concerned.

Needs like, what? Dying to know what is on this list. Follow up question, what multiple of your income was the price of your first house? Without my wife's income, we may have qualified for a $100K mortgage at the time, if even that, which was grossly inadequate. House prices were rising faster than we could save, so it was a gamble to buy, but my point is vis a vis two-income families, that the cost of living relative to income has increased dramatically in the past 40 yrs. I don't think it's an appropriate value judgement on our generation to say we work because we have frivolous needs. Quite the contrary.

Guest rozar s'macco

I can't disagree with living within your means. But I wouldn't say those items are unique to any particular generation. What a tired cliche. Ever read the Financial Facelift column in the paper?Both the Globe and Post have one. It consists mainly of 50-somethings of modest means with mountains of debt writing in to inquire how long they must wait before they can quit work to travel.

Ever read the Financial Facelift column in the paper?Both the Globe and Post have one. It consists mainly of 50-somethings of modest means with mountains of debt writing in to inquire how long they must wait before they can quit work to travel.

Would a financially well off and stable couple be news?

Thanks, still don't follow, but I endeavor to have a good day whether it is at the mall or at work. I find that those who hold on to petty bitterness to be sad people.

If you re-read your previous posts they seem to indicate a lot of bitterness towards "the boomers" and how they have left you somewhat miserable in life.

I hope your situation changes for the better. Life is much too short.

I can and do take my kids most places without a problem.

That's your opinion, I wonder what others think?

Walking through airports, I often wonder if there's a law that prohibits parents from holding their children's hands... and when they walk across a stream of travelers pulling suitcases and we hear the parents sit their and say "johnny, I asked you to sit down", "Johnny, i have told you 5 times..." I have to wonder where these people were brought up....

Oh, BTW, I raised 4 children myself so I know a little about that topic...

If you re-read your previous posts they seem to indicate a lot of bitterness towards "the boomers" and how they have left you somewhat miserable in life.

I hope your situation changes for the better. Life is much too short.

As on the rest of the thread you have attributed words to me that were never said or implied.

My opinions on the boomer generation are shared by many. The fact is they enjoyed the greatest economic boom in history and a chance for a leagcy of societal change in many areas and **bleep** it away. I don't think this makes the baby boom generation bad people, only that they either wilfully or ignorantly refuse to acknowledge the advantages their generation had while bemoaning the shortcomings of the generations that followed them.

In reviewing the post I just wrote I omitted some personal insults you shot my way that I won't be responding to. Your attempt at categorizing my happiness in life are ham fisted and not worthy of response.

That's your opinion, I wonder what others think?

Walking through airports, I often wonder if there's a law that prohibits parents from holding their children's hands... and when they walk across a stream of travelers pulling suitcases and we hear the parents sit their and say "johnny, I asked you to sit down", "Johnny, i have told you 5 times..." I have to wonder where these people were brought up....

Oh, BTW, I raised 4 children myself so I know a little about that topic...

Ultimately I hope most think that my kids are well behaved and if they happen to not walk in an exact staright line and cause someone to have to take a half second pause to let them get re-oriented they treat it with a good dose of perspective before shaking their fist at the world.

I don't think this makes the baby boom generation bad people, only that they either wilfully or ignorantly refuse to acknowledge the advantages their generation had while bemoaning the shortcomings of the generations that followed them.

That's a pretty large brush you have in your hand there, don't you think?.... Upon what are you basing those assertions? ... I ask because I personally hear very little to no complaints about the following generations...

As on the rest of the thread you have attributed words to me that were never said or implied.

My opinions on the boomer generation are shared by many. The fact is they enjoyed the greatest economic boom in history and a chance for a leagcy of societal change in many areas and **bleep** it away. I don't think this makes the baby boom generation bad people, only that they either wilfully or ignorantly refuse to acknowledge the advantages their generation had while bemoaning the shortcomings of the generations that followed them.

In reviewing the post I just wrote I omitted some personal insults you shot my way that I won't be responding to. Your attempt at categorizing my happiness in life are ham fisted and not worthy of response.

If you don't think there has been a heck of a lot of societal change during the boomer years you must not get out much. Or perhaps you'd like to go back and live in the 1920's.

That's a real big assumption my friend. Perhaps this is just you and your circle of Gen X friends sharing this opinion. Complaining about your lot in life seems to create a common bond for your group.

That's a pretty large brush you have in your hand there, don't you think?.... Upon what are you basing those assertions? ... I ask because I personally hear very little to no complaints about the following generations...

Hi Mitch

In one of my initial posts I had said that the board generally skews older which puts a lot of the membership in the baby boomer range. I freely admit that it is a pretty broad brush however you don't have to look too far to see the posts on here complaining about younger generations. I have always thought it was a bit funny and at one point posted something about Aristotle (or was it Plato) complaining about the youth of today. In the latest example it started with a complaintabout the way children are parented today.

I don't think this is especially unique to baby boomers, probably every generation complains about the generation that comes after them.

In the specific criticism of the baby boom generation I do find throughout a lot of media (not going to the Google for a million links) that there is many times a reluctance for the baby boom generation to acknowledge just how good they had it compared to the generations that followed. It is what it is but then the same generation calls out their perceived faults of younger generations while forgetting that situations, especially economic ones, have changed.

As noted initially, no real issue with other generations. I think of this place as a bar where a lot of different things get discussed, this being one of them. I don't take offense or take it personally when someone thinks I am full of **bleep**, as someone else said, life is too short and I have too much fun away from the keyboard to think about it.

That's a real big assumption my friend. Perhaps this is just you and your circle of Gen X friends sharing this opinion. Complaining about your lot in life seems to create a common bond for your group.

Not an assumption at all. You can look at the economic stats to see the ecomic conditions of the different generations. You are generalizing about Gen X as I have about the baby boomers. The common bond that most of us share are talking about schools for our kids, swimming lessons, ice time and what fun adventures we are planning, not whining about the Millenials.

I wonder how many baby boomers on this board had to start their careers over, more than once, because their employer went bankrupt? How many were laid off, some for long periods of time? How many had their wages rolled back during tough economic times? Are these the people you're talking about who had it all and bleeped it all away?

I've had just about enough of derogatory and dismissive comments to and about "grey hairs" on this board. Do you know what the difference is between our outlooks and opinions and yours is? It's called "life experience".

I wonder how many baby boomers on this board had to start their careers over, more than once, because their employer went bankrupt? How many were laid off, some for long periods of time? How many had their wages rolled back during tough economic times? Are these the people you're talking about who had it all and bleeped it all away?

I've had just about enough of derogatory and dismissive comments to and about "grey hairs" on this board. Do you know what the difference is between our outlooks and opinions and yours is? It's called "life experience".

Getting off your lawn now Ma'am! :Grin-Nod:

Probably quite a few I would imagine. I also imagine that quite a few benefitted from a syatem that protected their jobs as a crown corp or other conditions that benefitted them well. We see quite a few posts about how great flying "used" to be. Apparently those same conditions no longer exist.

As far as "life experience" goes I would submit it is more what you do with that experience. If it leaves a person complaining and bitter about those who came after them then I think the "life experience" was lost.

G'day Chock

With regards to the 'life experience' angle, the ones who have been hired recently(and I'm talking in the last dozen years or so) do not wax poetic about their careers up to this point that I and my colleagues with more seniority do about our first years in aviation.

To me, it makes me believe that their experience isn't as enjoyable as what we experienced.

Where the change occurred is clearly delineated as well.

So let me get this straight, if someone doesnt think kids should run around in a grocery store, its because they're bitter baby boomers who squandered all the great oppurtunities and ruined everything for your generation? Makes perfect sense.

Not an assumption at all. You can look at the economic stats to see the ecomic conditions of the different generations. You are generalizing about Gen X as I have about the baby boomers. The common bond that most of us share are talking about schools for our kids, swimming lessons, ice time and what fun adventures we are planning, not whining about the Millenials.

Pretty sure you wrote...."My opinions on the boomer generation are shared by many".....but I could be wrong.

Schools for your kids, swimming lessons, ice time, fun adventures? It sounds as though the baby boomers have left you a living hell. I think I need to hear more about those economic stats you speak of.

Boomers cannot complain about the behavior of today children. THEY RAISED THEM.

Political correctness, doing away with corporal punishment, can't discipline your children or they will be taken away and the list goes on. Boomers had it good BECAUSE they got the odd smack. They new damn well if the misbehaved the belt was coming off. Not so today. There is no threat with any meaning today like there was back then. The dog has no teeth and today younger generations know it.

If you are wondering why those kids behave the way they do, look at the generation that paved the way for it.

Guest rattler

Boomers cannot complain about the behaviour of today children. THEY RAISED THEM.

Political correctness, doing away with corporal punishment, can't dicipline your children or they will be taken away and the list goes on. Boomers had it good BECAUSE they got the odd smack. They new damn well if the misbehaved the belt was coming off. Not so today. There is no threat with any meaning today like there was back then. The dog has no teeth and today younger generations know it.

If you are wondering why those kids behave the way they do, look at the generation that paved the way for it.

Some of us even learned how to spell. :Grin-Nod:

So let me get this straight, if someone doesnt think kids should run around in a grocery store, its because they're bitter baby boomers who squandered all the great oppurtunities and ruined everything for your generation? Makes perfect sense.

Let me get this straight. I can skip over a whole discussion that wandered off to other points so that I can attempt to make a pithy comment and summarize in one sentance. Makes perfect sense.

Pretty sure you wrote...."My opinions on the boomer generation are shared by many".....but I could be wrong.

Schools for your kids, swimming lessons, ice time, fun adventures? It sounds as though the baby boomers have left you a living hell. I think I need to hear more about those economic stats you speak of.

BD I ask you this in all sincerity. Are you capable in seeing in shades of grey on anything?

Nobody said Boomers left a living hell. I said they missed an opportunity and have had economic advantages. There are speeds between 0 and 60 but you do not seem capable of recognizing it.

Archived