Air Canada Rouge Flight Review

blues deville

A319's each way. Booked rouge plus seats (first 4 rows 35" pitch) which I highly recommend and at 6'3" I had lots of knee space.....worth the extra $40. Bag allowance is 50 pounds. Priority boarding too.

Minor detail but I think the south bound aircraft needed some more TLC before released for service. Random seats with residual glue strips from the Velcro used to hold the cloth in place. The first class curtain and frame work still in place and tied up between row 3 and 4. Northbound AC it was fully removed and seats appeared to be slightly newer. Each seat has a large slot on the seat back for ipad or magazines. Good place to stash something when seat mates need to get up. We had aisle seats so both of us got up a few times.

Thread drift; I flew on the newest Air Canada 777HD last week... wow.. High Density is right. In economy, I found that the leg room wasn't too bad, but this 3-4-3 seating is very, very cramped. You will get to know your neighbour very well. I'm not a huge guy, probable average size, but the shoulder width of the average guy is just not accommodated by these seats. :closedeyes:

More to tell but unable to post.....not sure what's up with the site tonight.

I will finish my post and review of our flights....

Cabins crews (late 20 somethings) were very friendly, looked good and were having fun. A new twist on stale old airline PA's sounded refreshing not corny or silly. The wifi system was great (must load AC app on your device) and automatically pauses for announcements. A pre take PA off provide the flight details so nothing from the pilots until prior to descent. Good idea.....movies not interrupted after departure.

Flight attendants did two passes thru the cabin with buy on board snacks and drinks. The red wine was horrible but we found the Heineken to be cold.

Departing PUJ check-in was quick and somehow showing our AC rouge boarding passes fast tracked us through a huge winding line up at security. Not sure why but we didn't question it. Airport is crazy busy and the owners need to expand gates and waiting areas. From the beach earlier in the week I saw a Tui group 787 holding overhead for about 20 minutes. Usually at PUJ that means there is no place or space for you on the ground.

My only beef is not with AC rouge but with new age parents who let everyone around them help babysit their kids. Having little ones wandering around out of their seats is safety issue and second it's really annoying. I will say hello to a little kid staring at me from the aisle once but by the fifth time I start to lose my patience. On our family trips blues deluxe used to have mini back packs filled with books, games and treats and our kids never got up out of their seats unless it was for a bathroom or flight deck visit (good old days) to get their passenger log books signed.

Will book my next trip on AC rouge without hesitation. Also it was our second time at the Hard Rock hotel and it is the best resort in PUJ in my opinion. 15 pools (one is called the Eden pool.....you know what that means) and lots of restaurants. Beautiful beach.

bd

I will finish my post and review of our flights....

Cabins crews (late 20 somethings) were very friendly, looked good and were having fun. A new twist on stale old airline PA's sounded refreshing not corny or silly. The wifi system was great (must load AC app on your device) and automatically pauses for announcements. A pre take PA off provide the flight details so nothing from the pilots until prior to descent. Good idea.....movies not interrupted after departure.

Flight attendants did two passes thru the cabin with buy on board snacks and drinks. The red wine was horrible but we found the Heineken to be cold.

Departing PUJ check-in was quick and somehow showing our AC rouge boarding passes fast tracked us through a huge winding line up at security. Not sure why but we didn't question it. Airport is crazy busy and the owners need to expand gates and waiting areas. From the beach earlier in the week I saw a Tui group 787 holding overhead for about 20 minutes. Usually at PUJ that means there is no place or space for you on the ground.

My only beef is not with AC rouge but with new age parents who let everyone around them help babysit their kids. Having little ones wondering around out of their seats is safety issue and second it's really annoying. I will say hello to a little kid staring at me from the aisle once but by the fifth time I start to lose my patience. On our family trips blues deluxe used to have mini back packs filled with books, games and treats and our kids never got up out of their seats unless it was for a bathroom or flight deck visit (good old days) to get their passenger log books signed.

Will book my next trip on AC rouge without hesitation. Also it was our second time at the Hard Rock hotel and it is the best resort in PUJ in my opinion. 15 pools (one is called the Eden pool.....you know what that means) and lots of restaurants. Beautiful beach.

bd

That wandering toddler thing was my biggest pet peeve when I was still flying. The worst case was a mother who was pissed because her and her husband were seated across the aisle from each other, so she let their 2 yr old run loose in the cabin. Aside from driving the other passengers crazy, at one point, the kid started trying to pull a drawer out of the bar trolley I was working on. If it had come free, it could have killed him. After he pushed past me into the flight deck while I was bringing two hot cups of coffee in, I picked him up and returned him to his mother in the rear of the aircraft, and told her in no uncertain terms that this was unacceptable. When she got off the aircraft, she started yelling at me, calling me stupid, demanding my name and threatened to report me. It's been about 20 years now, and I haven't heard anything back, so I guess I'm in the clear. ;)

...., I picked him up and returned him to his mother in the rear of the aircraft, and told her in no uncertain terms that this was unacceptable. When she got off the aircraft, she started yelling at me, calling me stupid, demanding my name and threatened to report me.

Incredible! I bet that mother didn't even know her kid was gone!

She knew. She told us when they boarded and she realized they weren't sitting together that she was going to let the kid run around, and despite being told that she couldn't do that, she did it anyway. Some of the other passengers told us that it was the same story in the departure lounge. I wouldn't want to have been staying in the same resort as them.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.

I don't let me children roam in a restaurant but they have almost free range in the grocery store as long as they look where they are going. I figure it compensates for the doddering "grey hairs" who don't look where they are going :)

My 90 year old doddering grey haired father (AC retiree) would disagree with your free range approach. I'm glad he set a good example for me and my family. We could take our kids anywhere without a problem.

I can and do take my kids most places without a problem. If there is an issue we leave rather than subject everyone else to our children. Perhaps I should have clarified my "free range" in a grocery store comment.

Running up an aisle laughing and having fun - no problem.

Running into people and messing with groceries - not allowed.

They know the limits and if they are exceeded they get reined in.

Now if we just keep the retirees to shopping on Seniors days when it is accpetable to slow everyone else down we would be getting somewhere.

(add smiley face here before anyone tells me to get off their lawn)

I can and do take my kids most places without a problem. If there is an issue we leave rather than subject everyone else to our children. Perhaps I should have clarified my "free range" in a grocery store comment.

Running up an aisle laughing and having fun - no problem.

Running into people and messing with groceries - not allowed.

They know the limits and if they are exceeded they get reined in.

Now if we just keep the retirees to shopping on Seniors days when it is accpetable to slow everyone else down we would be getting somewhere.

(add smiley face here before anyone tells me to get off their lawn)

Where do I start?

Thread is going sideways but since you're never going to get old or grey, I can tell you that helping my retiree father (RCAF 1942-1945, MCA/ND/CP/AC 1947-1986) with his yard work or anything else he needs is a pure pleasure. Also my 92 year old mother in law ( who was up at 7am to watch "The Game" and then phoned my wife to talk about it) needs someone to help her with shopping and other chores. We don't pick the days. These are people who grew up during a 'real' economic depression, survived wars, raised families, and are still kicking it. Hope you can say the same one day.

And perhaps you should stop running in grocery stores with your kids. The "retirees" would probably appreciate it. Find a nice park somewhere....it's much more fun.

@Malcolm, absolutely agree. It is too bad that the Baby Boom generation did not try to preserve an economic way of life for their children that they benfited from when raising their own kids.

Want some cheese to go with that whine?

@BD, not a whine on my part but if that is how you interpret fill your boots.

I just find it funny that this forum which skews older, has many members who are very quick to complain about younger gnerations but don't really have much introspection when it comes to what their generation could have done differently, especially when you consider they benefitted from probably the most prosperous time in history.

Now get off my damn lawn :eek:

@BD, not a whine on my part but if that is how you interpret fill your boots.

I just find it funny that this forum which skews older, has many members who are very quick to complain about younger gnerations but don't really have much introspection when it comes to what their generation could have done differently, especially when you consider they benefitted from probably the most prosperous time in history.

Now get off my damn lawn :eek:

Interesting point of view and keep that new age parenting going. According to my teacher wife it's quite effective. She always wonders which ones will grow up to be something.

@BD Not sure what you mean by new age parenting, if that equates to my kids running down the aisle of a grocery store while I chase them with a grocery cart then so be it.

Your attempt at an insult is weak.

LOL. That's exactly what I mean.

Have a good day at the mall!

Archived