AC $1.5million lawsuit

internet

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Edmonton+family+suing+Canada+claiming+aircraft+took+with+defective+door/3114621/story.html

EDMONTON — An Alberta family has filed a $1.5 million lawsuit against Air Canada, alleging they were mistreated by airline staff when they asked to get off a flight they felt was unsafe.

The plaintiffs, the Khan family of Edmonton, allege in their statement of claim that they were first-class passengers on Air Canada Flight 898 from Edmonton to London the evening of June 2, 2008, when the aircraft was delayed on the ground for two to three hours while onboard staff unsuccessfully attempted to fix the main cabin door, which was not closing properly.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/Edmonton+family+suing+Canada+claiming+aircraft+took+with+defective+door/3114621/story.html#ixzz0pwqg7nYf

That's quite the inflammatory article, no surprise to see it from the Calgary Herald. There obviously was an issue with the door but their claims are ridiculous and the article is clearly written by someone with no understanding of aircraft at all.

That's quite the inflammatory article, no surprise to see it from the Calgary Herald. There obviously was an issue with the door but their claims are ridiculous and the article is clearly written by someone with no understanding of aircraft at all.

What exactly is the issue with the story. It repeatedly refers to the lawsuit and does not really offer their own analysis.

It's inflammatory due to the style and over-reliance on quoted claims and assertions from the plaintiffs. Air Canada can't and won't respond since it is before the courts therefor a responsible reporter would not have used so much from the plaintiffs and would have tried to write something more balanced - the plaintiffs story is obviously slanted and shaded in their favour. Here's my favorite quote: "Air Canada failed "to properly inform all passengers of inherent danger to their lives." That's a little over the top wouldn't you agree?

It's inflammatory due to the style and over-reliance on quoted claims and assertions from the plaintiffs. Air Canada can't and won't respond since it is before the courts therefor a responsible reporter would not have used so much from the plaintiffs and would have tried to write something more balanced - the plaintiffs story is obviously slanted and shaded in their favour. Here's my favorite quote: "Air Canada failed "to properly inform all passengers of inherent danger to their lives." That's a little over the top wouldn't you agree?

What the lawsuit says is over the top. The reporter reporting what was stated the lawsuit is not.

What the lawsuit says is over the top. The reporter reporting what was stated the lawsuit is not.

Yes, but the number of quotes directly from the lawsuit along with no balancing fact or comment from the reporter creates an inflammatory article.

Surprised that you would blame the Calgary Herald for the story, it originated in Edmonton and was simply carried by the Herald as it was by other newspapers, for instance the Montreal Gazette.

Link to the Gazette Article

Well to me, and most of Canada, there is no appreciable difference between Calgary and Edmonton. I know that most Albertans see the two cities as being unique and special and totally different from each other though. Anyway for me it makes no difference. As for Montreal - I was a little surprised until I saw that the Montreal Gazette is just another part of Canwest, same as the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald - these are not other newspapers - they are the same newspaper with a bit of local news on the front page. In any case, the "story" originated in Westjet's backyard.

Poor you. Despite your belief the media in Alberta or indeed western Canada does not favour Westjet.

HAH!, Really? If you believe that, then you're the one in need of sympathy.

I have no connection with Ontario so whatever opinion you hold about that bunch doesn't affect me at all. wink_smile.gif

Well to me, and most of Canada, there is no appreciable difference between Calgary and Edmonton. I know that most Albertans see the two cities as being unique and special and totally different from each other though. Anyway for me it makes no difference. As for Montreal - I was a little surprised until I saw that the Montreal Gazette is just another part of Canwest, same as the Edmonton Journal and Calgary Herald - these are not other newspapers - they are the same newspaper with a bit of local news on the front page. In any case, the "story" originated in Westjet's backyard.

WOW

Talk about unbalanced.

I live in Calgary and we do not have the same views as Edmonton, my friends in Edmonton says its not the same as views of a Calgarian. How can you make such a general unfounded comment?????

Talk about a closed mind........such a shame. You've lost all credibilty bud.

*This whole story was made up by a Westjetter, who is out to foil Air Canada and bring it to its knees, planted by a dark wing type of fellow possibly hacked into a Canwest computer,this story never happened it is a figment of our imagination, Air Canada does not fly YEG to LHR, repeat after me it never happened, it never happended.* (TIC)

Let the facts come out. They will probably not get $1.5m if they win, payouts like that do not happen in Canada.

Chill out have a cocktail or beverage of your coice, take a deep breath and r....e....l...a.....x..... :icon_jook:

:cool::cool: :cool:

WOW

Talk about unbalanced.

I live in Calgary and we do not have the same views as Edmonton, my friends in Edmonton says its not the same as views of a Calgarian. How can you make such a general unfounded comment?????

Talk about a closed mind........such a shame. You've lost all credibilty bud.

*This whole story was made up by a Westjetter, who is out to foil Air Canada and bring it to its knees, planted by a dark wing type of fellow possibly hacked into a Canwest computer,this story never happened it is a figment of our imagination, Air Canada does not fly YEG to LHR, repeat after me it never happened, it never happended.* (TIC)

Let the facts come out. They will probably not get $1.5m if they win, payouts like that do not happen in Canada.

Chill out have a cocktail or beverage of your coice, take a deep breath and r....e....l...a.....x..... :icon_jook:

:cool::cool: :cool:

It sounds like you've already had your cocktail. If you read what I wrote you'd see that I said I know the residents of Calgary and Edmonton each think they are special and unique and different - the rest of Canada just doesn't see it (or really care too much). In any case that not what this is about - it's about anti-Air Canada news coming from Alberta. That is not to imply that the opposite doesn't also happen, it likely does (although I don't have an example).

It sounds like you've already had your cocktail. If you read what I wrote you'd see that I said I know the residents of Calgary and Edmonton each think they are special and unique and different - the rest of Canada just doesn't see it (or really care too much). In any case that not what this is about - it's about anti-Air Canada news coming from Alberta. That is not to imply that the opposite doesn't also happen, it likely does (although I don't have an example).

Nope no cocktail yet.... vodka 7 pretty soon though, cheers. I know what you wrote, but your missing the point.

As I said chill out lets see how it turns out. No point in making it a Western press vendetta its not the point.

:cool::cool::cool:

Seeker;

If the article had been found in the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star or the Vancouver Sun, would you be talking any differently? For cripes sakes man, the plaintiffs are from ALBERTA! Of course it's going to show up in the Alberta-based media first.

Seeker;

If the article had been found in the Globe and Mail, Toronto Star or the Vancouver Sun, would you be talking any differently? For cripes sakes man, the plaintiffs are from ALBERTA! Of course it's going to show up in the Alberta-based media first.

I think you missed my point - it's not that it showed up in Alberta first, my problem is with the tone and style. The article appears to me to be slanted and unbalanced and relies too heavily on quotes. It's basically just a regurgitation of the statement of claim of the plaintiffs which I'm sure you'll agree is grossly overstated. There obviously was a problem with the door but do you believe that the AME and pilot were negligent when they consulted the MEL and satisfied themselves that the aircraft was safe to dispatch - I don't. The service director may have been rude and/or reluctant to allow the passengers to deplane at first but I think it's very unlikely that he/she "threatened and intimidated" them and this statement is just ridiculous: "failing to properly inform all passengers of inherent danger to their lives."

Now you're starting to sound like Dagger :wink_smile: you should come west and spent some time with us you'll find an abundance of warmth and hospitality especially in July http://cs.calgarystampede.com/ http://www.capitalex.ca/

I was born and raised in the west (not Alberta) and I love the west - never said I didn't. If I left that impression it was unintended. I have relatives in Calgary that I visit fairly often and friends in Edmonton that I visit. What I'm trying to say, not very clearly apparently, is that I see a bias to the article - probably a rooting for the hometeam kind of thing - not malicious but it's there.

You are quite right about the warmth and hospitality of westerners and the Stampede is excellent entertainment - especially when paired up with a sidetrip to Banff or one to the Royal Tyrell in Drumheller.

I am still trying to wrap my head around why air leaking INTO the aircraft is a bad thingScratch-Head.gifScratch-Head.gifScratch-Head.gif

This article and lawsuit are so full of uninformed information and inuendo its sickening. Journalism has taken such a slide its rediculous.

If this goes anywhere then the system has finally hit a new low.

Even the National Post and Globe have dropped to the level of the sensational tabloids like the National Enquirer. Personally, I think the new breed of Reporters are just lazy and source inaccurate information via the web instead of getting off their fat hind ends and talking to a real source. I used to subscribe to the news papers online and in paper format... now I can't be bothered.

Archived