OFF Topic.............LCD TV

Kip Powick

After years of debate over what type is better, LCD or Plasma, it looks like Plasma is back in the game. Lowere cost, brighter picture, long life, low power consumption, and 600hz, not 120 or 240, so a great picture. Ask lots of questions.

funny....only a year ago the 120hz were the be all end all. Now the 240. There is also a 3rd player with the LED tvs now as well. Things will never stop changing in this field.

Remember to turn off the high refresh rate feature on your LCD when watching movies. Some of the stores make the mistake of leaving it on and the resultant picture is quite bizaar. Your favourite Star Wars movie ends up looking like cheap soap opera video production!

Looks like a nice set...here is the one I'm leaning toward. Darned thing sells for 989.00 USD and up here I have seen it at 1499.00 CDN

Toshiba 42

Hey Kipper:

Thats the one I have great set great colour No poroblems with it at all, gives off a fair amount of heat though, I write it of to free heating. lol

Take care

cool26.gifcool26.gifcool26.gif

I just had a small samsung 19" blow up after one year of light use. Stay away from them as the bill is $317 to replace the board because the speakers do not work after 15 minutes of use. I'll be in to pick my bracket up and the rest will be left on the lawn of samsung.

In my searching for a new TV what I get from sales people is that the difference in refresh rate between 60Hz to 120Hz is more significant than the difference between 120 and 240. It seems to be a case of diminishing returns after 120 unless you do a lot of fast pace gaming or very fast action movies.

I have also looked at the newer LCD models with LED backlights and while you can see a difference with the models side by side, I wonder if it really is noticeable and worth the extra cost when the set is on its own in your living room.

55-60 hz refresh rates are discernable by the human ey which means there is a noticable flicker or lag in the refresh it is not noticable above around 72hz. This is why the big difference at the 60-120 change and not the 120-240. The human eye simply cannot see it. Yes with high action or anything fast paced there will definately be a difference but not a huge one.

Spinaker:

Samsung usually makes a good product. However you need to remember one thing. There are only 3 companies that actually manufacture the flat panel displays. The only difference from brand to brand is the "add on" electronics. Audio, surround, inpouts and outputs and the quality of the components used for them are done by the integrator.

When you get the new fangled box, go here for some ideas on setting some of many variables for the display. I found the out of the box settings for my Samsung 46" LCD a bit "off". I went to TweakTV and tried the suggested setting for my model and was really pleased.

I just had a small samsung 19" blow up after one year of light use. Stay away from them as the bill is $317 to replace the board because the speakers do not work after 15 minutes of use. I'll be in to pick my bracket up and the rest will be left on the lawn of samsung.

+1 on avoiding Samsung. I have a 50 inch Plasma that burnt out a pixel in month 11. After a 2 week runaround they deem it acceptable and refuse to repair it. Now I'm stuck with a $1500.00 TV that shines a pinpoint red laser beam at me. I will never purchase another Samsung product.

I have 2 DVD sets that are specifically for calibrating TVs, be it LCD, Plazma, CRT, Whatever, to the THX standard. I have used this on my and many friends TVs and the results are spectacular.

The problem is that the TVs come with the brightness turned WAY up so they look bright and crisp in the store. This is not desirable when watching movies or even general TV shows.

RE SAMSUNG

Samsung gets it flat panels from other manufacturers they do not produce theor own panels nor do most other companies. The costs related to setting up flat panel manufacturing are extremely high and with manufacturers like sony and phillips already producing them, many smaller companies simply purchase the panels from them.

With Samsung you could by the same model TV but it may have a different flat panel in each one. They simply buy panels in bulk from whoever gives the best price. Usually the quality is good but no matter who you buy from there is a chance of a bad pixel. The problem with a bad pixel is that it can be either on or off a failed off pixel is better than failed on.

Let us know what you settle on, Kip. I'm casually looking, if I was to buy today, I'd go for:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...opnav=&s=1&ref=

These TV's are 1/2 price in the states, lots of talk on:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/another...tco-com-791344/

Panasonics are Duty Free (GST/PST Only) as they are made in Mexico.

Also giving this one, some thought:

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/very-ho...-canada-773947/

Archived