Not a great day for a Perimeter Metro

jump seat

Nice work saving the props...

He says with tongue firmly in cheek tongue.gif

Both props will require overhaul prior to re entry into service, but it looks like minor sheet metal a couple of props and she's good to go.

Nice job

He says with tongue firmly in cheek tongue.gif

Both props will require overhaul prior to re entry into service, but it looks like minor sheet metal a couple of props and she's good to go.

Nice job

I'm thinking both props (at least 4 blades), possibly both engines (at least both reduction gearboxes), fuselage skin and flap reconstruction along with associated flapdrive components.

I'm thinking both props (at least 4 blades), possibly both engines (at least both reduction gearboxes), fuselage skin and flap reconstruction along with associated flapdrive components.

Oh and don't forget to fix that pesky landing gear issue... wink.gif

Looks like that plane will fly again fairly soon.

Not with me in it, thanks.

Any airframe with the following nicknames can depart sans moi.

Metroliner: San-Antonio sewerpipe, Texas Sewer Pipe, Death pencil, The Screamin Weenie, Texas Lawn Dart, Swetro (in the summer), Baltimore Whore (no visible means of support, skinny lil 'ol wings), Terror Tube, "That noisy effing thing", Widow-maker, Kerosene Crowbar, Fear tube, Texas Death Tube.

ph34r.gif

Not with me in it [i.e.death tubes & such], thanks.

I'm decreasingly impressed with Thebean's sense of adventure. box.gifbiggrin.gif

Cheers, IFG beer_mug.gif

The girls did such a great job that they didn't even tear off all the antennas. As others have said, some sheet metal, 2 new flaps, 4 new prop blades, and the airplane will be back in the sky.

When they put the plane on jacks the LH main and nose gear came out no problem, but they had to put a significant amount of effort into getting the RH out. It was jammed up pretty good.

Hi AME - actually, no tongue in cheek...Just before touchdown you can see that the props are in the feathered position so I thought they had really saved the props. The photo of the airplane resting on the runway tells a slightly different story and we can see that the bottom two blades on the left engine, (and we assume the right, but can't see enough) are damaged - still, great presence of mind all 'round.

Bean.... I think if that tube is maintained in Tibukswannalumbutu you might be wise to avoid it, ....maybe... I wouldn't know.... but ....

Uthawyse...

[you have to hear some bass guitar playing while i'm talkin', if ya want the full effect...., sort of a wandering blues shuffle, in A I think- brushes on the snare and the hi-hat-... and the voice is like a deep, whiskey, baritone]

Some days ain't the same as others...

Some days it don't matter whether you in a San Antonio Sewer Pipe, a Death Cruiser, a Chain Saw, (now known as a River Boat), a big beautiful Airbag, a sexy little sports car... or a Seattle Bowling Alley with wings,

it jus' might be yo' time....

Some days you lucky,

'n some days you aint.

Some days you the windscreen...,

Some days you the bug.

SPLAT!

[music stops for a pregnant pause]

[bass and drums start up that lazy shuffle again]

Every moment, of every day,

is itself a precious little moment,

because it's the last of it's kind....

and one day....

one moment is your absolute last.

[harmonica solo]

....Mmm hmmm, one day, ....one moment is your last.

So ya gotta have a good time 'til then!

biggrin.gif

Bean.... I think if that tube is maintained in Tibukswannalumbutu you might be wise to avoid it, ....maybe... I wouldn't know.... but ....

Uthawyse...

[you have to hear some bass guitar playing while i'm talkin', if ya want the full effect...., sort of a wandering blues shuffle, in A I think- brushes on the snare and the hi-hat-... and the voice is like a deep, whiskey, baritone]

Some days ain't the same as others...

Some days it don't matter whether you in a San Antonio Sewer Pipe, a Death Cruiser, a Chain Saw, (now known as a River Boat), a big beautiful Airbag, a sexy little sports car... or a Seattle Bowling Alley with wings,

it jus' might be yo' time....

Some days you lucky,

'n some days you aint.

Some days you the windscreen...,

Some days you the bug.

SPLAT!

[music stops for a pregnant pause]

[bass and drums start up that lazy shuffle again]

Every moment, of every day,

is itself a precious little moment,

because it's the last of it's kind....

and one day....

one moment is your absolute last.

[harmonica solo]

....Mmm hmmm, one day, ....one moment is your last.

So ya gotta have a good time 'til then!

biggrin.gif

Mitch....I consider myself fortunate to have only had to read that.

Had I actually heard you warbling that, I would likely have been sharpening pencils and inserting them in my ears.

tongue.gif

Both "Stop and Feather" knobs were pulled just prior to touch down. As the name suggests, the big red knobs on the centre pedestal mechanically close the fuel and hydraulic shutoff valves and feather the props.

I think they are pulling the engines just to make 100% sure, but with PAG having one of the only in house shops around authorized to zero time Garrett engines, it isn't terribly expensive to do.

Mitch;

, you need to hear it with some old blues player singin' it right.

Yessir, you got it and you get it...clearly some don't and think that life is about marketing, market share, money, numbers, getting "ahead" and actually making this broken economic system work by returning to the old ways, (which will be assessed as Obama's single biggest mistake of his Presidency) and when they get old and take a look back at the only life they ever had they discover the ladder to success they climbed is up against the wrong wall. Old Russian proverb: "Live and scratch for soon the itching stops."

Fran and I are heading to the Winthrop Blues Festival just as we usually do in July. Take a look at the line-up on the site. Yeah...

... Shaking recollections of John Lee hooker from the dusty crannies of ... OK - back on track biggrin.gif

When they put the plane on jacks the LH main and nose gear came out no problem, but they had to put a significant amount of effort into getting the RH out.  It was jammed up pretty good.

I'm curious if the decision to land with all three gears retracted was voluntary, or did the problem with the RMG prevent the other two from extending.

I'm not second guessing the crew here, & IAC at YWG the decision would likely have been made with management guidance. It's just that most of the partially extended gear landings I know of have been relatively successful, with pretty minimal damage, wingtip scrapes etc., and it seems the norm with gear problems on heavier airplanes, that any gear that can go down is selected down.

Again, not second-guessing, it does look like a fine job done - more interested in any comments from the folks that fix the birds.

Cheers, IFG

IFG,

The LH and Nose landing gear extended normally. The Metro flight manual published by Swearingen directs the crew to belly land in the event of one main gear not extending. It also directs the crew to stop and feather the engines just prior to touchdown. The crew followed the manufacturer's recommend procedure extactly.

Archived