Question for travellers...

Mitch Cronin

Daughter is heading to Italy for a grade 12 school trip and wants to bring all sorts of electrical implements... hair dryer, hair flattener(?), ipod charger thingy, camera charger, and other gizmos...

We're wondering what sort of power adapter she'll need (what voltage and frequency in Italy?), and also whether or not she can bring a power bar and the adapter and all that junk anyway?

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer... smile.gif

Hi Mitch.

There is a store in terminal 3, at the opposite end of the departures level from the employee parking lot exit, just outside the entrance to security. They sell all of the plugs and adapters there. She will need a european plug, as well as a voltage adapter. You can buy a universal gizmo there for about 35 bucks that has a number of plug options, and will also accommodate our 3 prong plugs, if any of her equipment requires that. (I don't need it for my hair hardware, but you need it for laptop charger)

They also sell the universal adapter onboard in the duty free for about 25 bucks, if someone here who flies overseas wants to volunteer to pick one up for you.

Or, alternatively, if you think she's never going to travel again, and I sincerely hope that isn't the case, you're welcome to borrow mine. When is she going?

Cheers, Jennifer

Awesome, Thanks Jennifer. I can easily get to that store in T3 at lunch. I'd guess she'll be using it more than once... if she doesn't lose it ( rolleyes.gif ). Thank you for your kind offer though. wink.gif

...I wasn't even sure if all that electrical gadgetry would be ok in your luggage these days. ...considering the toothpaste code and all... (I'll have to look at the 'what's forbidden' list I guess)

Cheers,

Mitch

I assume that, being a teenage girl, whatever she's bringing to wear on her trip isn't going to fit in a carry on bag. wink.gif

Just make sure, whatever else she takes, she has comfortable walking shoes.

Also, if you're looking for a couple of stocking stuffers for her, that travel store sells the pouches that you wear around your neck under your clothes to carry your travel docs.

My favourite travel guide book for Rome:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Eyewit...me+top+ten%2527

And another one she might find useful for this and future travels:

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Europe...nslator+-+Books

Lucky girl... she's never going to look at pizza the same way again!

The camera charger and Ipod charger should be ok with foreign electricity. If you check on the adapter it should give a rating something line 110-240V if this is the case then it can be used in Europe with only the little adapter that changes the pin type. Anything with a motor will require a power adapter unless it has a switch. some har dryers and curling irons (straighteners) have a switch for dual voltage use.

Mitch:

You may want to check on line for their accommodations. If they are staying in hotels, many of them have hair dryers in the room. That would be one less thing to carry, leaving a little more room for souvenirs for Mom and Dad! wink.gif

The better (e.g. more powerful and better protection) the converter the heavier it will be. Therefore check to see what power needs are required for the trip. Check the weight of your purchase against the others. A full featured version weighs more than a good hardcover book and gets weighty if your travelling around the world.

As stated above most common apppliances can handle the switch between 220/240 down to 110. The converters I like are universal and have the plug adapters that swing or slide out rather than a bunch of small plug adapters that are individual to the requirements. Trust me the individual plug adapters will get lost along the way.

Airports are actually a good source for these types of things. Also good is Source by Circuit City and some travel shops. Other places that arew great for getting all kinds of travel gear (including power apdapters):

- MEC, Best place to shop for a true backpack.

- Hostel International Travel Shop (HI or YHA international association). The Toronto HI is at 76 Church Street, phone ahead as sometimes the Travel Shop and Hostel are not located in the same building.

- The major department stores also have a selection of travel adapter products, although local inventory is sometimes sparse.

Guest rattler

Mitch: another great source is your local CAA, if you are a member you will even get a discount, if not you will pay the full price but they do have a good selection (assuming the Ontario folks have the same goods as available here in Alberta)

Mitch:

You may want to check on line for their accommodations. If they are staying in hotels, many of them have hair dryers in the room. That would be one less thing to carry, leaving a little more room for souvenirs for Mom and Dad! wink.gif

My wife is 34 and carries all of that crap because the hotel stuff just isn't 'good enough'.

I put up with it because she looks good and I don't want to mess with that. biggrin.gif

Also, I have a Cannon Elph, the charger converted itself when in Antigua.

Geez Mitch , is it almost 4 years since you showed us her grade 8 Grad picture?

Lugs also offers a blanket and a blowup pillow combo which downsizes to the size of a fanny pack. it comes in real handy especially on the bus trips as at that age most will be sleeping anyway and some suffering some awful hangovers! Send lots of Tylenol!

CAA sells most of the money/passport holders. Also make sure you buy those baggage tags with the big Canada flag to put on evry piece of luggage and carry-on. Canada's still highly respected over there.

My son went to Spain with a side trip to Morocco in grade 11 about 5 years ago. They had a blast.

Thanks again y'all, for all the hints and tips. I definitely came to the right place to ask. smile.gif

...and Newgirl.... Yep, it's been that long. They just keep growing, whether you're lookin' or not. Next thing you know I'll be in here looking for advice on how to bury the boyfriend that made her cry too many times. laugh.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

One last piece of advice from one who was in Italy at age 18- they love blondes!

Tell her not to be offended by older men who pinch her FACIAL cheeks and say Bella Bambina- it's a compliment coming from grandfathers.

If they pinch her lower cheeks, tell her to giggle and then slap him. It's a face saving measure on both sides! Besides it's usually the young , handsome men pinching the bottom!!!!!

Enjoy your daughter's trip rolleyes.gif

Thanks again y'all, for all the hints and tips. I definitely came to the right place to ask. smile.gif

...and Newgirl.... Yep, it's been that long. They just keep growing, whether you're lookin' or not. Next thing you know I'll be in here looking for advice on how to bury the boyfriend that made her cry too many times. laugh.gif

Cheers,

Mitch

I have 2 daughters that are now married, I can give you all kinds of tips in this department!!!!

Guest rattler

I imagine you have it covered but since you mentioned you don't have a passport yourself, you may have overlooked the need to purchase additional medical insurance for your daughter.

I imagine you have it covered but since you mentioned you don't have a passport yourself, you may have overlooked the need to purchase additional medical insurance for your daughter.

Don't buy anything until you check your company benefits. You may not need the extra coverage.

Archived