Home Security

Kip Powick

HOW TO INSTALL A HOME SECURITY SYSTEM IN CALGARY

1. Go to a second-hand store and buy a pair of used men's work boots....size 14-16.

2. Place them on your front porch, along with a copy of GUNS & AMMO MAGAZINE.

3. Put four giant dog dishes next to the boots and magazines; and,

4. Leave a note on your door that reads:

Hey Hank, Big Jim, Duke and Crusher, I went for more ammunition. Back real soon. Don't mess with the pit bulls-- they attacked the mailman this morning and messed him up real bad. I don't think "Killer" took part in it but it was hard to tell from all the blood. Anyway, I locked all four of 'em in the house. Better wait outside until I get back.

regards,

Shooter

I have a system in the house and one on the boat. You have basically two choices when it comes to installation...retrofit, (hide all the wires etc) or free standing remotes.

I chose the retrofit and it took about a day for the guys with the magic "snakes" to run the wires in the walls and ceilings etc.

Most security system guys will sell you, or attempt to sell you an "over-kill system...(too much stuff). Study the layout of your house and decide what you need.

Stay away from the "fly by night" alarm persons and deal only with a reputable firm.

For example we DO NOT have alarm switches on all the windows, especially the front windows on the second floor.....why would we ??? surely someone would see someone going up a ladder in the daytime and besides that, if the intruder does use a front window at night, he will get into one room as soon as he tries to leave that room ...the IR Motion detectors in the hallways will get 'em.

It is hard to advise you about a system because everyones requirements are different ie :neighbourhood, neighbours, monitored, not monitored, street lights etc.

One important aspect is to ensure you get at least two keypads......one for the Master Bedroom and one just inside the front door.

My two systems were made by NAPCO, were NOT expensive to install and the units were not that expensive. I have a combination of microswitches, (doors/windows) and IR Motion detectors and have been extremely happy with the set-up.......and----one gets a Home Insurance deduction with the installation of an alarm system. did I hear the cheeeep pilot bird ?

but seriously, I'm looking into REALLY getting a home security system. Anyone out there have any recommendations, or even as importantly, who to avoid?

I have used ADT for near 10 years. It is $5/month more expensive than VoxCom or others but at the time the basic installation and hardware was free. I also use IR sensors at two places in the house along with switches on two doors. The house is covered. The system is wireless and did not need wires strung to get to where I wanted the sensors.

The only trouble that I have had was that I did not realize the 'beeping' that I heard was an indication of a battery going dead. I would have known if I had gone to the master panel and read the message.

Of course the battery crapped out while both my wife and I were out of the country. The notification process went through and ADT sent someone out to check my house 3 times before they found me and I advised to disable the system until I got home and discovered the problem.

Make sure what ever system you get is monitored, having an alarm go off is useless if no one calls the police. Further more make sure the system you get is monitored for fire, we have an ADT system that comes with smoke/fire monitoring.

For me that is the big thing, I could care less if someone steals the TV but to come back from a pairing and find your house burnt to the ground, that would really suck.

Regards,

60N30W

Make sure what ever system you get is monitored, having an alarm go off is useless if no one calls the police

Well, Ok, I guess..... but my system is not monitored. The reason is that all the houses around me know when the house is totally vacant...I let them know and advise them to call the cops should the alarm go off. I just find the $300.00 a year for monitoring too expensive.( retired ya know) laugh.gif

Having said that, my alarm did go off once, the couple next door called the cops, they arrived very shortly and found nothing amiss......why the alarm?? As one poster alluded to...I did not change the backup battery and apparently after 5 years, if the battery is weak, the alarm may sound intermittently. I had no one to blame other than myself as I failed to see the little battery symbol indciating.."Hey You...change me "!! The battery in my system is guaranteed for five years and naturally being an aviator I tried for six.

The cops??? Well in some towns, you get one warning about false alarms but out here in Smallville they don't seem to care.

Fire...? Again, no monitoring here, just a personal preference as we never had monitoring before so why now...and other than my computer...the kids took anything of value as they all slowly drifted from the nest. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

To each his own...

Hello Kip,

I guess in the end what ever makes you sleep at night is the right thing for you, or in my case whatever makes my time away from home easier is right for me.

Hope all is well.

60N30W

PS I think you could afford the $300, besides home insurance comes down!

It's amazing to me what some of you will do to feel secure, while ignoring one of the best (and simplest) "security systems" available.... a dog.

No "convincing" is required if you have a dog. His mere existence is enough to keep the bad guys away... they have no idea if Rover will kill them or lick them, so they don't bother finding out.

Get a dog dangit! Give a good critter a decent home and he'll look after it, you, the missus, the kids, and anyone else who belongs, and he'll usually be willing to give his life to do so.

....and for anyone who bothers to care for one, they'll become damned good friends!

Mitch:

Kids have grown up and left home.

I travel a lot and sometimes I am gone for weeks at a time.

My wife works full time and sometimes she doesn't wait for me to take her somewhere she travels on her own.

The Dog could not, would not be left alone in the house for extended periods.

Guest rattler

Also of course dogs don't handle fire at all (friends of mine with a dog installed an alarm system for pet protection). They disable the motion alarm when their dog is left "home alone" but leave the various door / window and fire alarm sensors active

I have trouble understanding how you can live like that... I woke up this morning and found I hadn't quite closed our main door... my only concern was for loss of heat if I should do that after it gets cold... If I had to worry about boogy men or bad guys, I think I'd move.

I went with Chubb ad they were great.

The Alarmforce guys wanted to install sensors using 2 face tape and drill a hole in my wall, run a 'plug' through for part of the system. Chubb was in all day fishing wires and did a nice clean job.

One other thing, I added a cold temp sensor when I lived in Calgary. It was great to know that my house was monitored and a neighbor would be called if it went below 12 degree in my house while I was on Vacation.

Of course... I don't need that in Vancouver... maybe they have flood, tsunami or earthquake sensors out here??

Call me if you want more info on it. I don't work until Friday in YYC.

Had ADT but their service calls when something goes wrong are atrocious.

Also they will not fix anything but their own equipment, if something goes amiss with somebody elses equipment - they just replace it. One service call to tell you whats wrong and then another one to fix whats wrong.

Alarmforce - can't stand the advertising and I believe their monitoring is "offshore" so you could wind up with some communication difficulties.

I have had better luck with small local companies, better service, same prices, and local monitoring.

The system I have now is like Kip's - no monitoring of second floor windows where a ladder would be required for access but motion detectors should anyone get in that way. I enjoy leaving the windows open 90% of the time and getting fresh air into the house. Our system is monitored, and backed up by a security patrol who also responds to fires, first aid/medical calls and checks your house if you advise them you are going to be away. They have a 3 minute response time.

We also have a couple of yappy dogs and we had the motion detectors set so that they don't react to less than a 40lb mass so that we can leave the dogs in the house with the alarm on.

Having said all that - we live in a very safe area and have never had a problem.

Probably the same reason I have emergency road service from BCAA, free with my insurance, and from my vehicle warranty. Oh yeah - I also had it from a local chain of garages in Vancouver - 6 months road side service with every oil change.

Guest rattler

Regarding home security, it seems that there is a new threat growing in Canada and that is someone selling your home without your involvement and you being held responsible.

This one is scary. Just click on "Not for Sale"

http://www.protectyourtitle.com:80/

More on the subject including recent cases:

http://www.firstcanadiantitle.com/en/about..._June%20506.pdf

Archived