Seen elsewhere

jump seat

There is not a lot of damage. There is some skin damage to the aircraft but not likely any stringers broken.

The belt was down and the handrail stowed. It is mostly wedged underneath. Someone likely walked away leaving the engine running and the handbrake off. The transmission slipped into gear. It happens with those simple stick automatics. That is why engines are supposed to be off.

That reminds me of an incident that occurred in Europe when a belt loader was being used to load one of our aircraft. A bag fell off the loader and landed on the driver's station, knocking the transmission into reverse. The poor guy who was at the bottom loading the bags got trapped underneath the loader as it rolled backwards. It dragged him about 50 ft before someone got it out of gear. Thankfully he came away with just a few scrapes, no broken bones, and a new respect for the guard rails and placing chocks under the wheels.

Robert - you know the tie for 9989 to AC. Do you know the former Canadian registration mark if that's the case? I could probably do a lot of time researching it but maybe you have a quicker answer. I still like those old 9ers' and have been keeping a bit of tabs on some of the old AC 9's.

Robert - you know the tie for 9989 to AC. Do you know the former Canadian registration mark if that's the case? I could probably do a lot of time researching it but maybe you have a quicker answer. I still like those old 9ers' and have been keeping a bit of tabs on some of the old AC 9's.

It was an old EAL DC 9. When NWA bought them, they were flown to YUL for a "D" check, they were so bad and corroded that we dubbed them "R" check, R standing for resurrection. I remember this one in particular for some large power pack trouble for the rudder.

It is a shame to see the belly damage, as we reskinned all of the bellies on those birds.

Thanks Robert.

From your remarks - that was never a Diesel 9er from AC then? Could you tell the serial number from the NWA aircraft number? I'd appreciate it if you could. (I know a DC-9 junkie). Please forgive my addiction. Please?

It was an old EAL DC 9. When NWA bought them, they were flown to YUL for a "D" check, they were so bad and corroded that we dubbed them "R" check, R standing for resurrection.

And no one really knows how many millions of $$$ Air Canada lost on THAT little fiasco... sad.gif

There is not a lot of damage. There is some skin damage to the aircraft but not likely any stringers broken.

My sources on the T3 ramp tell me that the aircraft is in fact a write-off. Too much frame damage to be worth fixing a 30 yr old machine.

My sources on the T3 ramp tell me that the aircraft is in fact a write-off. Too much frame damage to be worth fixing a 30 yr old machine.

Interesting. I havn't been to work in a few days, but my sources told me nothing, because nobody could figure out where the aircraft went! I couldn't find any "S" licenced guys that worked it. I'm sure NWA sent their own guys to evaluate the damage, but where's the airplane???

It probably went to the north end someplace... little bird like that might even fit into one of those old wooden hangars (are they still there? like Millard's hangar?)

It doesn't look that bad to me... even if a former or two got munched... and certainly there'd be some stringers to splice... but still... to write it off must be some creative financing going on, or maybe the rest of the airplane is really bad junk? ...

Another source has confirmed that it's a write off, but I haven't found out where it is located. Apparently the belt loader was new to YYZ, having recently arrived from the southern US. This unit had only one hydraulic system for driving the belt, the brakes & the steering. It was very cold that morning & the hydraulic fluid that had flowed nicely in the heat of the southern US didn’t do so well here in the cold. The operator got it going okay, but he could not turn or stop, so he bailed out. The pictures tell the rest. NWA mechanics who came up to survey the situation were at first concerned that the aircraft would break in two getting pushed & towed to a hangar.

Guest rattler
ohmy.gif Wow... that sounds like a brilliant design for a belt loader!!! rolleyes.gif ... too bad the fella that bailed didn't find the key/off switch on his way out....

Based on the degree of penetration, I would bet the loader was moving at a fair rate of speed. Used to be that all were taught to check the brakes at a certain distance from the aircraft before proceeding to the aircraft, compliance was monitored but of course was not full proof. Watching the activity around aircraft in general from the departure level, I can not remember when I last saw a vehicle coming to a full stop before approaching an aircraft.

In any event, very happy that the driver escaped. Aircraft can be replaced.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived