Sad day today

Kip Powick

One of my son's has two Labs. The young one passed away very suddenly this morning. I'm sure there are many that have gone through the heartache of such a tragedy but it brings to mind that no matter how much we teach our children, we can not adequately prepare them for the demise of one of "their family members". Thank God for Scuba 02...I couldn't even talk on the phone this morning.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went .

Will Rogers

YUKON on the left (10) -deceased

ELLIS on the right (14) and a liitle gimpy but still hangin' in there.

Kip:

Sorry to hear about your son's loss our heart goes out to him and his family. I just lifted this from my wife's website, if you want to see the whole page she has dedicated to our animals who have left before us you can find it here.

Aviator German Shepherds

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

It still amazes me how emotionally close we get to our pets. I can empathise completely with your son, having lost our 15 1/2 year old lab last Christmas. Please extend my condolences to the family and give Ellis a hug.

ccairspace

I am a first time dog owner, and my dog (who was rescued from his previous owners) is only 5 years old, and I have had him for a little over two years now.

This breed is supposed to live 15 to 20 years, but just the thought that I will lose him some day really hurts inside. I can't imagine how awful that day will be. I have the upmost sympathy for anyone going through that.

I am amazed by how attached I have become to him, I never really wanted a dog, and one day in Fall of 2003, my mother told me about this little guy who had been abused and neglected and really needed a home.

I was going through a tough spot in my life at that time, and this little white critter was just what I needed. I could come home ready to take out the world, and when I see his little white face looking up at me, tail wagging, it doesn't matter how bad my day was, or how many assholes I had to deal with, unconditional love is right infront of me.

Hi Kip

I know some day we will face that with our pup. Frankly I didn't want to get one and the the knowledge that some day we'll have to face what you're going through, is the biggest reason that I was against it. My wife perservered and we now have had the little guy for 8 years.

He is just one of the family. This dog that wasn't going to be allowed on the furniture now sleeps on the bed and I wouldn't have him any where else. smile.gif

I am truly sorry for the loss your family has suffered.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went .

Just a thought on that quote. As I see it dogs have consciousness. (Although a less highly developed one than people.) I believe that consciousness exists outside the physical and so I am convinced that with whatever the next life holds for us we'll be sharing it with our 4 legged friends.

Greg

I don’t know where to start. To say that I am touched is an understatement. When we received word of the sudden passing of Yukon this morning I was at a loss for words. It is difficult to be the strong macho Dad your kids think you are when your heart is truly breaking, not only for the loss of the dog, but for the torment my son is going through.

I think I made the initial posting as an outlet for the sorrow we felt but I was not aware that so many could sympathize with my son’s plight.

I have “copied” and “ pasted” all your replies into an email to him and I know he will take some comfort in knowing that even anonymous, and unknown to him, individuals in cyber space understand his pain.

Thank you so much for the “Rainbow Bridge”. It too is on its way to him and his family and I’m sure he will be comforted knowing that even in what seems like the darkest days, you are never alone.

Thank you all.

Been through that with a cat that adopted us and became family. He was as much of a family member as anyone else. When he became ill, cost was no object. I will never tell anyone how much I spent because people will think I am soft in the head. He was subjected to surgery (beyond reasonable expectations in the end) because I was led to believe that he would have some time that would be worthwhile. Didn't work out that way.

What I believe is that we can give our pals a good life, well beyond the span that mother nature intended, but when the time arrives when life is no longer what it should be for them, we do them no favours keeping them around simply because we can not bring ourselves to do what is right for them.

I too agree with GDR that when our time comes ,we will be reunited with our pets. I also think that all the friends and pets that we encounter during our lives are there for a reason.

This week a friend of mine died of an aneurism - he was 53. He collapsed at work on Fri. and was gone on Sun. His wife was in Mexico waiting for him to join her . She had to hurridly try to change her flight to get home and we all know how distressing that can be in normal times. His funeral was today.

So maybe I'm thinking a bit more deeply about death than I normally would but maybe Yukon's reason for being here was to keep Ellis interested in life as he aged. Perhaps it will be soon time for Ellis to go too and Yukon will be there to meet him.

My 10 year old Sheltie was a bit annoying today as he thinks he's found a mouse under the wood pile. So it was in and out all day until I finally said no! Of course then I got the look!!! After reading all of the posts tonite now I feel a bit guilty. Tomorrow he can stay out until his feet freeze if he wants!

Would any of you men like to tell me honestly why SOME of you men put up such a fight in getting a dog? Because we all know once the dog arrives , MOST of you can't imagine your life without your dog.

Is it because you didn't grow up with a dog or what? I 've seen men say"no Darn Cat in this house" and then once the cat sneaks in things change. All of a sudden the cats sleeping on his lap and life couldn't be better.

It's never easy losing a pet so my condolences to your son.

Guest long keel

Kip,

I very sorry for your family's. My own dog passed more than a decade ago and I still miss his company very much. Pets are very special. Hang in there.

lk

Archived