Yikes!

Mitch Cronin

It's happening! blink.gif ...as I type this my daughter is upstairs with her "boyfriend"! ... they're sitting on the couch in a true teenage cuddle, while watching a movie! huh.gif

I've got my good friend Griffon (the dog) watching over them though, so he'll behave if he wants to keep all his limbs. ph34r.gif

If he's even remotely like I was at that age... even the slightest hint... I'll have to kill him, that's all. cool26.gif

....don't know if I'm ready for this sad.gif

Won’t you be confused if the all come down in an a hour and your daughter is red-eyed from holding back tears, the boyfriend is stunned and Griffon is slobberingly happy.

icon_arrowd.gif

icon_arrowd.gif

icon_arrowd.gif

And then you ask what movie they were watching.

dry.gif

biggrin.gif I remember being that teenage boy at my first girlfriend's house. We were in the basement all snuggled up in a sleeping bag together watching the movie "1942" and her dad came downstairs and at about half way down, saw us, did a 180, and headed back up. Then he called her name from the kitchen and she disappeared for a few minutes and then the whole family came downstairs to sit with me and we all finished watching the movie...they on the couch, me on the floor. blink.gif

...Poked my nose in there several times now... feigning an interest in "Wayne's World" ...

I think that's my trouble JL... I remember being that boy too... only my girlfriend's dad wasn't around (deceased) and her mother wouldn't come downstairs... only shouted at regular intervals: "Diana, what you doing down there" (She was Czech).... "Nothing Mom" .... only we were NOT so damned innocent! blink.gif

...Poked my nose in there several times now... feigning an interest in "Wayne's World" ...

I so want to laugh... rolleyes.gif but I remember the picture you posted of your daughter. icon_eek.gif I'd send in both dogs and rent a doberman if I were you. biggrin.gif

Having raised two sons, my admonition was that I never, ever wanted to receive a phone call from and irate father. So I guess they either charmed the dads or didn't get caught. wink.gif

Good luck Mitch.

ccairspace

Mitch;

My wife and I cured our daughter and one of her early boyfriends of THAT kind of behaviour, for the moment anyway.... We told them we were upstairs thinking about the same thing and would they please stay downstairs... tongue.gif

You mean Wayne's World? biggrin.gif

Good golly Don, that sounds like it might be an idea when she's 18, but at 14, I sure don't want her to think she's got permission!! blink.gif

CC... the lad's on his way home now... Aside from a moment when they thought they were alone (my son makes a good spy) and I happened to need to find a ... uhhh something in my workshop... ya, that's it! wink.gif so I had to walk by... all went ok, I think.... Now I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for this! sad.gif

We were in the basement all snuggled up in a sleeping bag together watching the movie "1942" and her dad came downstairs and at about half way down, saw us, did a 180, and headed back up.

So YOU were the guy in the sleeping bag in MY basement..! ohmy.giflaugh.gif

laugh.gif ...well Dropzone, if you were a national arm wrestling champ from the Edmonton area, then you'd be that guy! I guess I wasn't all that smart...gettin' cudly with an arm wrestling champ's daughter. unsure.gif

Geezus Mitch,

Youv'e got nothing to worry about. He, or one of your daughters other friends will be back next weekend, -- ESPECIALLY at Christmas time.

One way or another your daughter will have a good time and so will the young fella as he walks away sniffing his finger that was so near your Christmas turkey. Please just relax and let nature take it's normal course.

We've all been there at one time or another in our misspent youth.

It's that time of year doncha know.

laugh.gif

the first father I ever met, pulled me aside as I was leaving and simply said "if you make her cry, I will make you cry and if she isn't bleeding, you will be" blink.gif

that scared the "Naughty Word" out of me, not to mention creeped me out.

I was so scared of her dad, that I started to avoid her,

My daughter is getting married in May'06. The day after the engagement I took my future son-in- law aside to have a chat.

Before I could say anything he said.. "I know, I know Mr P., Kelly already told me"

"Really?", I said, "What did she tell you?"

He stuttered and stammered and said, "Kelly told me, and I thought she was joking, that if I ever physically abused her, you would hunt me down and kill me.....and sir after having spent some time with you, I now believe her".

PS...he is a really nice guy and he actually asked my permission to marry Kelly. smile.gif

CC... the lad's on his way home now... Aside from a moment when they thought they were alone (my son makes a good spy) and I happened to need to find a ... uhhh something in my workshop... ya, that's it!  so I had to walk by... all went ok, I think.... Now I'm pretty sure I'm not ready for this! 

I don't think anybody's ever ready! laugh.gif It sounds like you handled it well though - although I'm not sure it's sending the right message to encourage "Tiny Tim" to spy on his sister. wink.gif

It's a bit of a balancing act - giving them some space, but dropping in every once in a while to remind them that they're not alone in the house - try not to make the excuses look too feeble or transparent though. laugh.gif My favourite was "I'm making popcorn. You kids want some?" Teenagers love junk food and nobody ever suspected it was all a ploy. laugh.gif

The most important thing is to make the boy feel welcome in your home, and your daughter feel comfortable having him there, otherwise they'll want to go somewhere else, and then it will be out of your hands.

I also found that discussing their goals and dreams, and how to achieve them, as well as the kinds of things that might derail those goals, helped them to look at the big picture, and prioritize what was important to them. I don't think my son will ever forget being told that if he happened to get a girl pregnant, or got in trouble with the law, for the rest of his life, instead of saying "Gear Up", he'd be saying "Would you like fries with that sir?" laugh.gif

I'd like to thank y'all for your thoughts and snippits of wisdom...

I didn't get any parenting at all from my daughter's age and beyond, so I have no experience to draw from, other than what I've heard and seen elsewhere... all stories, snippets, anecdotes, cliches, old wives tales, and once-was-a-daughter tales are indeed welcome. wink.gif

If I hit old age and my kids have managed to make a few less mistakes than I did, I'll be happy... if they make a lot less mistakes than I did, I'll be thrilled... ...if they make none of the mistakes I did, I'll think they're full o' beans. biggrin.gif

Here's the two step plan, Mitch:

1.) Build a guitar.

2.) Ask the lad if he's familiar with "El Kabong".

Step 3, always be sure that the GLOCK is visible on your body ohmy.gif

Guest rattler
I'd like to thank y'all for your thoughts and snippits of wisdom...

I didn't get any parenting at all from my daughter's age and beyond, so I have no experience to draw from, other than what I've heard and seen elsewhere... all stories, snippets, anecdotes, cliches, old wives tales, and once-was-a-daughter tales are indeed welcome. wink.gif

If I hit old age and my kids have managed to make a few less mistakes than I did, I'll be happy... if they make a lot less mistakes than I did, I'll be thrilled... ...if they make none of the mistakes I did, I'll think they're full o' beans. biggrin.gif

Raising a Daughter

Might be of interest.

Archived