Air Canada pilot strike vote open.

1 hour ago, Turbofan said:

So you now agree with me.  Read what I highlighted in bold.

That’s awesome.  Maybe Mikey will finally agree too.

Give us our pre bankruptcy contract back.

You keep dwelling on the US comparison.  They are only there to demonstrate that our wage demand of

”GIVE US OUR PRE BANKRUPTCY CONTRACT BACK” 

Is actually quite reasonable considering AC’s competition.

You are flipping the script on us, much like AC management has been doing.

Turbo, you old devil you!! 😁😁

The words quoted are not my words. They are the opinion expressed by a writer with whom you indicated you didn't agree.

It is not in my nature to unreservedly agree with ANYONE. Much like the scorpion. 😁

I do however hope for a quick and amiable resolution to this dispute. Remember....the best negotiated agreement is one where neither party is happy!

• Like 1

Just contemplating logistics of repatriating equipment and crew in event of "disruption of service".

As an example.....and there are many ..AC 1 goes to HND today. There's a crew in HND that will operate AC 2 tomorrow.

Assume 72 hour notice given tomorrow.

Would AC operate AC 1 tomorrow and bring back crew that goes over today?

That leaves crew in HND. They presumably can't deadhead on the plane they just brought in ...crew rest.

So ...do they deadhead back on Tuesday on OAL?

2 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Just contemplating logistics of repatriating equipment and crew in event of "disruption of service".

As an example.....and there are many ..AC 1 goes to HND today. There's a crew in HND that will operate AC 2 tomorrow.

Assume 72 hour notice given tomorrow.

Would AC operate AC 1 tomorrow and bring back crew that goes over today?

That leaves crew in HND. They presumably can't deadhead on the plane they just brought in ...crew rest.

So ...do they deadhead back on Tuesday on OAL?

The company will likely leave the FA’s in HND for a few days.  Remember the wind down is done to allow a structured restart.  That requires crew in place once AC 1 does depart.

If a strike lasted more than a few days they would repatriate.

Make lemonade from lemons.  

If this is your spouse?  Give her your credit card and tell her to enjoy a couple of days on the company in HND if it happens.

Remember AC’s negotiating strategy was all based on attaining government intervention.  Part of that strategy was to hype up that they were dealing with unreasonable pilots who wanted massive gains. 

They won that PR misinformation battle to their own detriment. 

Now that government intervention will not happen at least in advance, Air Canada has convinced everyone that a strike is inevitable.  They have driven passengers away.

Like I said in a post earlier.  We have always been much closer than AC was hyping.

We got a newsletter from the MEC chair yesterday that for the first time AC was actually negotiating.

We will have to see what happens.

But my guess is that late September will be great for pass travel.  Lots of nice weather in Europe still.

IMG_0754.jpeg

55 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

The company will likely leave the FA’s in HND for a few days.  Remember the wind down is done to allow a structured restart.  That requires crew in place once AC 1 does depart.

If a strike lasted more than a few days they would repatriate.

Make lemonade from lemons.  

If this is your spouse?  Give her your credit card and tell her to enjoy a couple of days on the company in HND if it happens.

Just you & me on a Saturday, Turbo my man!

Give her MY card!!?? Hah! I have to ask ( nicely) for HER platinum! 😱

This deal is short of our pre bankruptcy wages adjusted for inflation.  Not by a lot.  About 10% though.  

There is some widespread disappointment as a result.

On balance though?  Better Vacation credit?  Introduction of a daily guarantee?

Maybe close if you apply that value?

Either way it is going to be a ruckus few weeks.

45 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

This deal is short of our pre bankruptcy wages adjusted for inflation.  Not by a lot.  About 10% though.  

There is some widespread disappointment as a result.

On balance though?  Better Vacation credit?  Introduction of a daily guarantee?

Maybe close if you apply that value?

Either way it is going to be a ruckus few weeks.

The pension issue.....will there be any increase on the FROZEN retirees pension or do those little increases only apply to retirees as of the beginning of this contract  ???

• Like 1

Just now, Kip Powick said:

The pension issue.....will there be any increase on the FROZEN retirees pension or do thoose little increases only apply to retirees as of the beginning of this contract  ???

I’m not sure.  I don’t have the deets.

They are talking about hybrid indexing.  Much like they are planning with the AC shares from 2009.

Its a formula that uses excess to redistribute so long as the fund makes certain benchmarks.

So it is never a guarantee.

34 minutes ago, Turbofan said:

I’m not sure.  I don’t have the deets.

They are talking about hybrid indexing.  Much like they are planning with the AC shares from 2009.

Its a formula that uses excess to redistribute so long as the fund makes certain benchmarks.

So it is never a guarantee.

Thanks I was just looking at Malcolms link above...(and day dreaming 😅)

o Reinstatement of indexation (bi-annually) for retirees for 8 years: ▪ January 1, 2025: 1% (guaranteed) ▪ January 1, 2027, 2029, 2031 and 2033: 1.5% each time (conditional on health of pension surplus

2 hours ago, neverminds said:

Turbofan,

at Air Canada, do years of service spent as RP and/or FO count towards YOS when one goes Captain? Also would I be correct in saying there are no B1 passes included in this TA?

RP and FO count towards YOS.

No one has seen anything other than an executive summary.  You know what I know at the moment.

• Here is the pertinent part of a Nat Post report. They say that the first raise is 2% higher and 42% all in
  •  
  • Air Canada aircraft at Montreal-Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport (YUL) in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, on Tuesday, Sept. 10, 2024.
  •  

The airline has offered to increase the aviators’ pay by 4% annually over three years, plus an upfront 26% pay boost as well as other benefits, according to a source who asked not to be named to discuss confidential details of the agreement.

The 42% compensation increase over the four-year contract is expected to cost the carrier C$1.9 billion.

“After several consecutive weeks of intense round-the-clock negotiations, progress was made on several key issues including compensation, retirement, and work rules,” Charlene Hudy, chair of ALPA’s executive council for Air Canada pilots, said in a statement. The deal requires the approval of a majority of voting members.

The Montreal-based airline says it carries over 110,000 passengers a day and 30% of Canada’s air freight. Goods such as refrigerated pharmaceutical products, perishable food, car parts, chips for computers and live animals are shipped through its cargo services. Air Canada is also the largest foreign carrier in the US with as many as 400 daily transborder flights.

Edited by GDR