CargoJet B763 tail strike?

Moon The Loon

INCIDENT: Cargojet 767 Had Tail Strike, And Flew On! - Mentour Pilot

First off, is this story accurate?

On takeoff, no less. Usually happens on landings with Vref too low during flare. Only thing I can think of in this instance is a gross over-rotation just slightly above or even below Vr.

Edited by Moon The Loon

42 minutes ago, Moon The Loon said:

INCIDENT: Cargojet 767 Had Tail Strike, And Flew On! - Mentour Pilot

First off, is this story accurate?

On takeoff, no less. Usually happens on landings with Vref too low during flare. Only thing I can think of in this instance is a gross over-rotation just slightly above or even below Vr.

Lots of cases of improper rotation speed too.  A transposition of 135 knots for Vr when it should be 153 knots - tailstrike.

9 hours ago, Seeker said:

Lots of cases of improper rotation speed too.  A transposition of 135 knots for Vr when it should be 153 knots - tailstrike.

More often is the case of correct V speeds set but incorrect flap setting for take-off.

That is what the tail skid is for.  We used to get these on the 727 all the time.  Inspect the tail skid and determine if further action is required.  More often than no its good to go.  No turnback requirement

On 9/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, rudder said:

More often is the case of correct V speeds set but incorrect flap setting for take-off.

That was certainly a tripwire on the '27's I used to ride, but would not the PFM on the '67 calculate for the selected flap? Or does it only go off keypad entry? & if so, wonder why? :Scratch-Head:

14 hours ago, boestar said:

That is what the tail skid is for.  We used to get these on the 727 all the time.  Inspect the tail skid and determine if further action is required.  More often than no its good to go.  No turnback requirement

That's what the paint was for! 

Cheers, IFG :b:

Many years ago when I was an FO on the DC 8 coming out of LHR the Captain rotated at V1 instead of VR and we dragged the tail but it had a good skid and it wasn't a problem except for a kinda embarrassed Capt. ?

1 hour ago, GDR said:

Many years ago when I was an FO on the DC 8 coming out of LHR the Captain rotated at V1 instead of VR and we dragged the tail but it had a good skid and it wasn't a problem except for a kinda embarrassed Capt. ?

Back in the day we would watch the CP DC8-63s launch in early evening from YVR during the summer. you could always see which ones were at full gross by the train of sparks from the tail skids.  Problem was of course altitude and temperature which required the use of max runway length before lifting off.  

AC did this in a A330 in Frankfurt thanks to pilot data entry error ie 126kts instead of 156 kts. On the same short flight they almost stalled it too on approach (27 degrees up and slowing to 145kts).

Two high time AC training/ACPs working together..??

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/aviation/2002/a02f0069/a02f0069.html

I believe they both retired shortly after this event but that's 3rd hand info FWIW.