NHL and Airlines

16 hours ago, Falken said:

No The Mighty 580 - nice try though!

It's that a type of special CRJ model like the 705? ;)

I heard you benefited a lot from the Ballard year Leafs and enjoyed the leftover beer when the team lost and Harold wouldn't let them drink. Thats a lot of beer in those years. Too bad not much has changed..... 

I wonder if Gretzky's still a chicken now that he's in a private jet.

2 hours ago, Bobcaygeon said:

I remember the first time Wayne flew in a private jet - a Lear 35. Peter Pocklington was running for the leadership of the federal Conservative party and the airplane came into YFD to take Wayne to Ottawa for the convention (nothing like using your young superstar to grab a few votes). He was clearly nervous, and before that aircraft landed, Wayne asked me if I thought it was safe, and of course I told him it was. When the aircraft arrived, the runway was wet from a passing shower and it was somewhat "eventful". Wayne watched it happen and it didn't help that one of my colleagues commented, "Holy s*^t, they're going off the end!" They didn't, but the seed of fear was firmly planted. For a few minutes, I thought Wayne was going to refuse to go, but he took one for the team and went anyways. When they came back the next day he told me he hated every minute of it. Pocklington didn't get past the first ballot, which didn't help. 

3 hours ago, J.O. said:

I remember the first time Wayne flew in a private jet - a Lear 35. Peter Pocklington was running for the leadership of the federal Conservative party and the airplane came into YFD to take Wayne to Ottawa for the convention (nothing like using your young superstar to grab a few votes). He was clearly nervous, and before that aircraft landed, Wayne asked me if I thought it was safe, and of course I told him it was. When the aircraft arrived, the runway was wet from a passing shower and it was somewhat "eventful". Wayne watched it happen and it didn't help that one of my colleagues commented, "Holy s*^t, they're going off the end!" They didn't, but the seed of fear was firmly planted. For a few minutes, I thought Wayne was going to refuse to go, but he took one for the team and went anyways. When they came back the next day he told me he hated every minute of it. Pocklington didn't get past the first ballot, which didn't help. 

Thank god "Peter Puck" lost. A shyster in many ways, and the man who sold Gretzky..... I did learn what a nasty strike, picket lines, and SCABs were though. The good old days when a strike meant something for both sides......   

I was a teenager in Edmonton in the 80's, does it show ;)

7 hours ago, Bobcaygeon said:

It's that a type of special CRJ model like the 705? ;)

I heard you benefited a lot from the Ballard year Leafs and enjoyed the leftover beer when the team lost and Harold wouldn't let them drink. Thats a lot of beer in those years. Too bad not much has changed..... 

The plane was a Convair 580 and it was also true no win-no beer.

Gretzky wasn't the only one  that had a fear of flying! 

Archived