Lockdown Distractions

deicer

Another Day With a Bureaucrat

I had to go to “School” today and renew my driver’s licence. (there comes an age for drivers in Ontario  where this is mandatory 😊)

There were about 18 of us in the “class” and the teacher reminded me of my grade 2 teacher as she was extremely repetitive with her instructions. . Maybe she thought those of us that are super- seniors have trouble listening, or perhaps comprehending the English language.

We were given a blank piece of paper and  pen and told to PRINT our name on the piece paper. We were then told, (three times), to turn the paper over and only have the blank side facing up.

Then we received a repetitive lecture about the first part of the test, (and we couldn’t start the test early, only  when she said “go” and we would only have 5 minutes to complete the test….but, only after she said “ go”  and she stressed “no giving others assistance and no copying from someone else at the table”.

The test was that  we had to draw a round circle representing the face of a clock. After the circle was drawn we had insert the appropriate  numbers and then draw clock hands  to represent 10 minutes after 11 o’clock.

I couldn’t resist…… so I asked “ Do you want the time to indicate  AM or PM?”

And this question confirmed that  bureaucrats have little, if any, sense of humour.😅

BTW, I passed that part of the test……..and the rest of the vision exams so am free to terrorize the highways and byways again..😊

• Haha 2

I can give the questions for the next test in 2 years 😉

Edited by Specs

22 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I had to go to “School” today and renew my driver’s licence. (there comes an age for drivers in Ontario  where this is mandatory 😊)

There were about 18 of us in the “class” and the teacher reminded me of my grade 2 teacher as she was extremely repetitive with her instructions. . Maybe she thought those of us that are super- seniors have trouble listening, or perhaps comprehending the English language.

We were given a blank piece of paper and  pen and told to PRINT our name on the piece paper. We were then told, (three times), to turn the paper over and only have the blank side facing up.

Then we received a repetitive lecture about the first part of the test, (and we couldn’t start the test early, only  when she said “go” and we would only have 5 minutes to complete the test….but, only after she said “ go”  and she stressed “no giving others assistance and no copying from someone else at the table”.

The test was that  we had to draw a round circle representing the face of a clock. After the circle was drawn we had insert the appropriate  numbers and then draw clock hands  to represent 10 minutes after 11 o’clock.

I couldn’t resist…… so I asked “ Do you want the time to indicate  AM or PM?”

And this question confirmed that  bureaucrats have little, if any, sense of humour.😅

BTW, I passed that part of the test……..and the rest of the vision exams so am free to terrorize the highways and byways again..😊

In Alberta before you turn 80, you must pass a

Medical examination requirements have been set to protect the safety of aging drivers and those around them. For Class 3, 5, 6, and 7 drivers, medical reports are required at:

• age 75
  • age 80
  • every 2 years after age 80 
  • Driver medical examinations are not insured under the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). AHCIP is intended for medically required services only. Physicians operate as independent businesses and are allowed to set their own rates for any uninsured services. Physicians must advise patients of the cost of the exam before starting the exam.

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

we had to draw a round circle

"The clock-drawing test is a quick way to screen for early dementia, including Alzheimer's disease. It involves drawing a clock on a piece of paper with numbers, clock hands, and a specific time. The inability to do so is a strong indication of mental decline."

I'm glad you didn't draw a square circle... 😁

My friend knew what was coming so he took a large washer with him to draw the clock and when he was told he couldn't use it he asked the lady, who was drinking a can of pop at the time, if he could borrow her pop can. She wasn't like Kips teacher as she just laughed and said NO. He passed and got to keep his motorcycle license also!    

Then and now: The evolution of aviation as we know it - Search Videos (bing.com)

Air Travel Through the Ages: A History of Aviation, Then and Now - Magellan Jets

A history of air travel through the ages

©Fox Photos/Getty ImagesFrom the early days of flight and the 'golden age of travel', to modern-day budget airlines and the restrictions and regulations of the COVID-19 pandemic, air travel has changed a lot over the past century. Here, we take a journey through time to bring you the biggest milestones in commercial aviation history, including the recently announced plans for air travel to become net zero by 2050.

Vintage images of air travel through the decades (msn.com)

• Thanks 1

On 3/15/2024 at 9:32 AM, Kip Powick said:

I'm surprised they didn't make you recite "Person, Woman, Man, Camera, TV". But then, you aren't running for president - although I believe you'd do a way better job than the current names on the ballot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

If you're ever in the PHL area, it's well worth the time to take a tour!

https://www.twz.com/sea/battleship-new-jersey-leaves-her-pier-for-first-time-in-over-30-years

Battleship New Jersey Leaves Her Pier For First Time In Over 30 Years

The move from the Camden waterfront to the Philadelphia Navy Yard is essential to begin critical renovations on the historic vessel.

Edited by deicer

WORLD'S LARGEST AIRCRAFT, (only one made), GONE 

Possible Duplicate Information/Post ??

AN 225.jpg

The AN225 was prepared for evacuation, scheduled for the morning of 24 February 2022, but on that day Russia invadedUkraine with the airfield being one of their first targets. A ban on civilian flights was quickly enacted by Ukrainian authorities, however the runways were made unuseable.

On 24 February, the An-225 was said to be intact however on 27 February, a photo was posted on Twitter of an object tentatively identified as the An-225 on fire in its hanger 

AN225001.jpg

There is a possibility the 2nd AN 225, nowhere near being completed, will be completed with parts of the destroyed aircraft... 

Taken from a social media post...

Each flight was equipped with 16 shots of TEB. It was the TEB triethylborane that caused the fuel to temporarily Flair up. 🔥
The NTSB lists Triethylborane [TEB] as the most dangerous material, one step below fissionable nuclear material,’ Former SR-71 Blackbird pilot David Peters.
Taken by Stuart Freer at RAF Mildenhall in 1986, the impressive photo in this post features an SR-71 Blackbird Mach 3 spy plane creating spectacular fireballs while performing at the Air Fete Air Show.
Former Blackbird RSO, Lt. Col. Doug Soifer, recalls in Richard H. Graham’s book SR-71 Revealed The Inside Story.
‘During that pass, we [Soifer and Mike Smith, the pilot] had “13 fireballs” come out of the plane’s exhaust. It looked beautiful, and people wanted to know if it could be done again. They used the picture of us with the flames coming out for the next year’s Air Fete poster. Mike and I became known as the “Fireball Twins.” The maintenance people figured it was the TEB [triethylborane] shooting out of its container and igniting the JP-7. With that start, we had an exciting six weeks in England.’
The SR-71 burned JP-7 fuel. A one-of-a-kind fuel that used an additive to raise its flash point so the fuel would not break down at extreme temperatures
The high flashpoint brings up another problem. Most jet engines use igniter plugs, nothing more than a hot spark plug. Using these igniter plugs they used with the JP-7 and drowns it out, it won’t ignite. Kelly [Johnson] put his engineers to work, and he said, ‘OK, gentlemen, how are we going to start this?’ They came up with a very unique way. Triethylborane – TEB for short. Each engine has a one-and-a-quarter pint. If I had it in a squirt gun and squirted it into the atmosphere, it would go Kaboom! – it explodes with contact with the atmosphere. And that’s how we started the engines. As the engines rotate, at the right time, it spray this amount of TEB into the turbine section, which goes kaboom, which in turn lights the engine. When you take the throttles up into the afterburner, it puts this metered amount of TEB in that lights up the JP-7. You get 16 shots for each engine.’ As far as I know, no pilot ran out of TEB on a flight, but during a long flight (12 hours ), they came close; if anyone knows of a story of when they ran out of TEB, please let me know. 
Also, there was a way that my experts told me to ignite the fuel by using something other than TB in the SR 71. Can anyone fill me in on what that was?
May be an image of aircraft
  • Thanks 1