Cdn Duty Day Regs

Trader

1 hour ago, seeker said:

The MBAs certainly take credit and richly reward themselves when something/anything goes right so I see no foul in giving them the "credit" when things don't go right.

The thing is, as far as the companies are concerned things are going right.  If the pilots think otherwise (and likely should) then they need to shoulder any blame if things are not changed, after all they have the ultimate power to force such a change.

"A common reframe is to blame the "Suits" or indeed those with a MBA for almost everything.   Blaming them for everything is a little like saying "the devil made me do it" ? Isn't it about time for pilots to stand up and be counted?"

You completely misunderstood the message if you think I'm blaming suits for anything related to duty regulations Malcolm? You did ask the right question though; pilots should stand up and be counted, but as you can see, when it comes to duty regulations, the suits are directing the result. No one that counts really gives a hoot what pilots think.

"The MBAs certainly take credit and richly reward themselves when something/anything goes right so I see no foul in giving them the "credit" when things don't go right."

That's the irony Seeker; 'when things don't go right', pilots wawcon will go into reverse and if reorganization becomes necessary the suits will reward themselves for being the brightest & best ... again.

54 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

"A common reframe is to blame the "Suits" or indeed those with a MBA for almost everything.   Blaming them for everything is a little like saying "the devil made me do it" ? Isn't it about time for pilots to stand up and be counted?"

You completely misunderstood the message if you think I'm blaming suits for anything related to duty regulations Malcolm? You did ask the right question though; pilots should stand up and be counted, but as you can see, when it comes to duty regulations, the suits are directing the result. No one that counts really gives a hoot what pilots think.

"The MBAs certainly take credit and richly reward themselves when something/anything goes right so I see no foul in giving them the "credit" when things don't go right."

That's the irony Seeker; 'when things don't go right', pilots wawcon will go into reverse and if reorganization becomes necessary the suits will reward themselves for being the brightest & best ... again.

Defcon, re mba HOLDERS, the also do work very hard to achieve that status and also like those who want to become pilots, spend a lot of $$$ to get there. Not sure why you seem to hold them in distain?

What if your a major canadian airline pilot and hold a MBA? Where does that put you in the mix?

Does it make you conflicted or give you a better view of both sides of the coin?

Both sides are pretty good at screwing things up royally.

Where I work now we essentially work in a "nanny state" because pilots/FA's can't make good decisions like showing up for work on time or at least calling ahead to let someone know.

24 minutes ago, Bobcaygeon said:

Where I work now we essentially work in a "nanny state" because pilots/FA's can't make good decisions like showing up for work on time or at least calling ahead to let someone know.

I can say the same thing where I work. Coming down the bridge T+5 with a designer drink complaining that security was backed up or the line up was long. Relax, I’ve already called crew sked.

29 minutes ago, thor said:

I can say the same thing where I work. Coming down the bridge T+5 with a designer drink complaining that security was backed up or the line up was long. 

YES!  This drives me crazy.  Showing up 10 minutes late with a Starbucks in one hand and a Tim Hortons breakfast sandwich in the other so you know they spent 10-15 minutes in each line but the "reason" they are late is because of CATSA or the 400 or "couldn't find a parking space"

But they never get reprimanded because its the "normal"  Keeping your mouth shut makes you part of the problem

Perhaps the company should penalize the whole crew when there is a delay of this nature.  That would clear it up quick

22 minutes ago, boestar said:

Perhaps the company should penalize the whole crew when there is a delay of this nature.  That would clear it up quick

The problem is that there isn't a delay because the rest of the crew picks up the slack.  And, yes, I know what you're going to say - "don't pick up the slack."  Well, that doesn't work, obviously.  

How about going to seniority pay versus gauge pay the way BA does? 

Older pilots bid the domestic runs that usually puts them in their own bed at night.

1 hour ago, mo32a said:

How about going to seniority pay versus gauge pay the way BA does? 

Older pilots bid the domestic runs that usually puts them in their own bed at night.

The problem with that scenario is that , at present, the senior guys on ULH heavy equip bid, (for example),  get their hours in very quickly and then they have 1/2 month or so off. Then they bid the last half of the next month and in reality they get almost 30 days off in a row.

I don't think senior guys flying domestic can get their hours in that quickly, (short trips), so they wouldn't have the luxury of so many days off in a row.

I think what you have suggested is a good idea and it was sent up the flag pole before, but not many "senior" drivers saluted....5267.gif

On 5/24/2018 at 1:45 PM, Kip Powick said:

I think what you have suggested is a good idea and it was sent up the flag pole before, but not many "senior" drivers saluted....5267.gif

So what you are saying is they are OK with the fatigue factor. Time to shut up or put up I think.

15 minutes ago, mo32a said:

So what you are saying is they are OK with the fatigue factor. Time to shut up or put up I think.

Not at all.....You have to realize SENIOR pilots like their lot in life and as much as they bitch about the situation, the only solution they will accept is one that does not affect their $$$ and lifestyle......Certainly fatique is a big issue but other than changing the regs or adding to the regs, they will not move from their perch...just poll a few of them. 

Archived