Great Idea AA

17 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

30", isn't that better than some others?

A few at 29" but most at 30". I suppose its what the other low costs are offering and people accept it. Not for me. 

4 hours ago, internet said:

When flying into the US, I choose Comfort+ on Delta.  Seeker is right. These seats are a choice of the travelling public. I make my choice. They make theirs. 

Agreed. I refuse now to sit in anything less than an "Econ plus" type seat for the extra legroom ( & whatever additional perks) and of course the price will vary depending on the seat selection. However the problem now is the limited availabitity and no one wants to pay extra for that dreaded middle seat. 

Airline travel is becoming so attractive  these days. :(

What exactly does Obesity have to do with Leg room.  Perhaps it should be for the tallest population on the planet.

I am a pretty big guy and categorised as obese but I fit fine in the seat but at 6'4" tall its the leg room that is the issue. 30 inches is the shortest distance before it gets truly uncomfortable 32 inches is nice.

While reducing the Y seat pitch to cram in more seats they have also increased the number of "Extra" seats that they will sell you for a added fee.

American plans dense 737 Max economy seating

• 03 May, 2017
  • SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro
  • BY: Edward Russell
  • Washington DC

American Airlines will configure its new Boeing 737 Max 8 aircraft with 172 seats, increasing density from its comparable 737-800 aircraft.

The Fort Worth-based carrier will have 16 first class, 36 extra-legroom main cabin extra and 120 economy seats on its 737 Max that begin arriving in the third quarter, a spokesman says.

The Max configuration compares to 160 seats, including 16 in first, 30 in main cabin extra and 114 in economy, on the 737-800s in the American fleet.

American will configure the Max with some of the tightest economy seat pitch in its fleet. Three rows will have 29in pitch while the rest of economy has 30in pitch, the spokesman says.

“The arrival of the 737 Max presents an opportunity to take a fresh look at the inside of the airplane so it can be a good product for customers and make efficient use of the space available," he says.

American anticipates its first 737 Max 8 in the third quarter and four more aircraft before the end of 2017, its latest fleet plan shows.

The carrier has firm orders for 100 737 Max 8s, the Flight Fleets Analyzer shows.

Do you really think the elimination of reclining seats is a good idea considering the fact that Westerners are getting taller and a whole lot fatter nowadays? Shrinking the per passenger space allocation is and will continue to fuel the ever more common crew / pax & pax / pax conflicts.

With the proposed reduction of seat pitch, the pax in front reclining will reduce the space for that guest behind. Better to have a few complain vs all. That's the price of buying a ULCC ticket. 

Imho. 

4 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Do you really think the elimination of reclining seats is a good idea considering the fact that Westerners are getting taller and a whole lot fatter nowadays? Shrinking the per passenger space allocation is and will continue to fuel the ever more common crew / pax & pax / pax conflicts.

Seems to me since they are getting wider and taller, eliminating the seat recline is an excellent idea.  Leaves more room for the "meal tray". 

My own observation says that the ones that put the seat in full recline are not the ones who know what an imposition it is on the people behind them.

I get enjoyment from focusing the air vent to blow on top of their heads.

21 minutes ago, Fido said:

My own observation says that the ones that put the seat in full recline are not the ones who know what an imposition it is on the people behind them.

I get enjoyment from focusing the air vent to blow on top of their heads.

But in this climate of "entitlement", they know they are entitled to recline their seats, just because they can. Be concerned about the person behind them, no they are too busy texting to indulge in any human face to face (so to speak) interaction.

The only time I have reclined, aside from the few times the guy in front forced me to, was when the guy behind kept stabbing at the IFE screen hard enough to knock my head off the headrest every time he did it.

Archived