Good news, bad news

blues deville

Hmmm... I'm tempted to call bullshit on this one. I'm quite familiar with the operation and maintenance of waste systems on airliners, and there is no way to dump waste in flight. One could install such a system though... now that would be interesting! :)

8 minutes ago, conehead said:

One could install such a system though... now that would be interesting! :)

Would the cost of developing such a system save enough fuel to be worth it?  Please note the restraint I am demonstrating by not adding one of the 18 jokes that readily spring to mind. 

The problem is the 6 inch hole you are putting in the aircraft if you were to do this.  Thats a pretty big hit on the pressurization.  Besides the fact that the systems are engineered specifically to PREVENT fluid loss in flight.  "Blue Ice" is an extreme hazard both to the aircraft itself and the people on the ground.

27 minutes ago, conehead said:

Hmmm... I'm tempted to call bullshit on this one. I'm quite familiar with the operation and maintenance of waste systems on airliners, and there is no way to dump waste in flight. One could install such a system though... now that would be interesting! :)

I think the article mentions leaking systems. 

For the tank to leak in flight there are 2 distinct failures that have to occur,  The internal "Dump"valve would have to overcome its pressure to allow the fluid to be released and the Outer Safety valve would have to be open.  For that valve to be open, the exterior panel on the fuselage would have to be open as well.  

I am not say ing that cannot happen as I have had frozen lav panels in the past but it is very unlikely

1 hour ago, boestar said:

For the tank to leak in flight there are 2 distinct failures that have to occur,  The internal "Dump"valve would have to overcome its pressure to allow the fluid to be released and the Outer Safety valve would have to be open.  For that valve to be open, the exterior panel on the fuselage would have to be open as well.  

I am not say ing that cannot happen as I have had frozen lav panels in the past but it is very unlikely

Well if that's the case this new job should be a breeze. :)

7 hours ago, DEFCON said:

The dumping of human waste from modified transport trucks as they move along our highways is a seemingly common practice amongst broker owner drivers of Indian descent, so why not aircraft too?

Reference?

Seeker

I can't name my source, but if you'd like to investigate, begin your enquiry with mechanics that works on big rigs. If you really want to check, attend a truck stop and look at the center rear axle areas for evidence of discharge. Focus on brokers that travel with their family 

I have spent enough times working on the crappers on aircraft that I could recite you the AMM verbatim.  Well at least I could years ago.  Seniority took that away from me (thank God)  ^_^

Archived