Ac To Try Again At Enforcement Of Cabin Baggage Size Limits

FA@AC

Who's fault was it in the first place?

Airlines started to charge for bags, so people moved to 'carry on'.

Airlines then would allow people to gate check the bags for free, leading to dozens of bags on the bridge head.

Now they are turning back people to get them to pay bag fees.

So who's fault is it?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who's fault was it in the first place?

Airlines started to charge for bags, so people moved to 'carry on'.

Airlines then would allow people to gate check the bags for free, leading to dozens of bags on the bridge head.

Now they are turning back people to get them to pay bag fees.

So who's fault is it?

I have no sympathy for that argument. I bought a carry on that specifically complies with most airlines' allowable dimensions for carry on. I pack accordingly, and generally speaking, I don't even use everything I pack. I bought it even though I mainly travel on intercontinental flights where I have the right to check one bag for free, but it has saved me on tight connections, which was the point in avoiding baggage checking.

Who do we blame? Who opened Pandora's box? How about the first airline to charge for anything extra? It was a slippery slope once that started. Once one airline decided not to serve meals while it's competitors did, and was able to undercut it's competitors as a result, the war was on. Who started selling food onboard? I don't know. So who do we blame? Carriers like Southwest, Ryanair and Westjet were all part of the Low Cost/no frills revolution and it's been downhill ever since.

Who do we blame? Who opened Pandora's box? How about the first airline to charge for anything extra? It was a slippery slope once that started. Once one airline decided not to serve meals while it's competitors did, and was able to undercut it's competitors as a result, the war was on. Who started selling food onboard? I don't know. So who do we blame? Carriers like Southwest, Ryanair and Westjet were all part of the Low Cost/no frills revolution and it's been downhill ever since.

I don't think there's an innocent party in the game.

The low cost airlines brought low fares and no frills.

The "legacy" airlines had to start charging for frills to stop the bleeding.

The airlines burden frontline staff without equipping them effectively.

The consumer wants cheaper and cheaper and cheaper fares.

I have no problem with the a la carte system (which, in Canada, was started by AC..). It gives the consumer a choice on what they want to pay for. Isn't that the point?

I'm a tall person, so I usually opt to pay for a Plus upgrade. I may think twice if the cost goes up considerably in Sept but it's still a choice I can make. I can get by on a flight without wifi but once wifi is available I have the option of being connected.

Some airlines in the US already charge to bring a carry-on. I'm not familiar with what that does to a) the customer experience, B) boarding, c) on-time performance, or d) revenue. Does anyone have a thought to share on charging for carry on?

A completely absurd situation, no doubt invented by the same folks who swear there is a pilot shortage. Only airline MBAs and retired Naval Officers can invent this stuff. I’m often left with the same question to both groups… Really? What did you think was going to happen?

OK, I have to ask. Anyone know why I've been stuck at 244 posts for the last 10 years or so?

• 2 weeks later...

Some airlines in the US already charge to bring a carry-on. I'm not familiar with what that does to a) the customer experience, B) boarding, c) on-time performance, or d) revenue. Does anyone have a thought to share on charging for carry on?

I will let you know, my parents are flying LAS-COS next week on Allegiant.

Just imagine the time they would save by going back to 2 free checked bags and absolutely no carry on. :Grin-Nod:

Nice dreamcoat there, Joseph. Oooh, the colours! The colours!

Archived