Question For F As

Kip Powick

Attached to this posting are two photos. One is a set of Black Earbuds provided by Air Transat. The other photo is a set, (mine), of small Sony over -the- head earphones.

I wear the Sony headset at all times while listening to an onboard entertainment system.

During a recent flight I was told that I could not wear my Sony set while the aircraft was commencing its descent.

What had happened was that the FA had put a movie on late and there was no way anyone would see the ending unless they listened/watched, probably to about 10,000 feet or perhaps lower. This particular FA saw my headset and said I was not allowed to wear that set during any phase of the descent...all other pax were using the Air Transat ear buds. I asked her "Why?" and all she said was that it was a regulation. I showed her the little headset and she could certainly see that they were not a "noise cancelling, big over the ear" headset but emphasized that all I could use were the "issue" ear buds..

I complied < (did not listen to the movie),but am baffled by the rule.......Anyone got an explanation?? Thanks

PS..I never use ear buds..cause they just don't fit. Have used the Sony for years with no problems

post-598-0-33588200-1393429149_thumb.jpg

post-598-0-72790800-1393429169_thumb.jpg

I am with you Kip. I dont understand it. When travelling in Executive (Pod) seats on AC you must remove the supplied headset and close your screen during descent. I find it odd since they all cut out when announcements are made.

Guest rattler

Kip: this is the only thing I could find

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/air-passengers-electronic-devices-568.htm

Remove headsets or earphones connected to a portable electronic device for boarding, taxi, take-off, landing, deplaning and while walking to and from the aircraft. Why? Headsets and earphones make you less aware of safety hazards and less able to hear crew and ground personnel instructions, especially during an emergency.

Rattler:

What he means is his headset (earbud type headset) is connected to the AIRCRAFT audio system and they still take issue with it. I understand being connected to an ipod or something.

Same on AT.......................The movie freezes and audio stops if anyone uses the cabin PA

I'll check back in a few days...maybe someone can quote a Reg...

Don't want to waste this 32C and sun and above all.......being wet at -130feet MSL !!!!!!!

Too late......:)

Although this is not specific to AT (every airline is hung up on that earbud type headphone thing), I would venture a guess that any headsets with a rigid headband presents a risk of getting caught onto something in case of an evacuation.

Earbud type would just be pulled down out of your ears if you were to get up from your seat while forgetting to remove them. I don't think it's a noise cancelling issue.

Kip...

There are two advisory circulars that, when taken together, would likely result in an air carrier establishing policies to limit the type of headset used during critical phases of flight to only ear bud type:

Advisory Circular 0124R - Passenger Use of Personal Headsets and Protective Hearing Devices

Advisory Circular 0252 - Safety Considerations of Corded Electrical Devices in the Passenger Cabin

I recall a lot of discussion about over-the-head type and ear bud type headsets when air carriers first began offering gate-to-gate IFE.

PS..I never use ear buds..cause they just don't fit. Have used the Sony for years with no problems

Had the same problem. Then the Sister in Law gave me a pair of sport (Earhook) headphones for Xmas and they work great - they're earbud like but have a hook thet wraps around the ear to hold them in place. That must have been 3 or 4 yrs ago now and they're still going strong despite nearly daily use either biking or pretending to jog. The cord rolls up nicely and tidely around them and they stow away in my knapsack without a fuss. They're about 20 bucks at most major stores and you can watch the whole movie from gate to gate.

I still have my old Walkman and even use it when biking a long way, but the original headphones - like the ones you pictured - have been replaced by the sport earbuds from the sister in law.

Guest rattler

Another question for Flight Attendants: I see Delta is in the press for stopping a woman from breast feeding inflight because she refused to cover up. They now say it is allowed. I wonder how you would handle a situation where someone claims that they are offended by the beast feeding.....? Or to ask the question another way, does your airline provide you with any guidance in this regard?

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-echochambers-26361270

Thanks for the informative replies...I have discounted the S-A replies and will state that in all my years as a pax/guest I have never run into this problem. I certainly can understand the "getting tangled" during an evacuation but don't think we would be evacuating during a descent !! ((unless we get issued with the "nylon-letdown" apparatus :biggrin2:

Specs, I tried the ones you have referred to but they don't work , on me, very well. I have about 3 pair that you see in the initial photo and they seem to work well for me and I Have stood up inadvertently and they have slipped off easily....and they are cheap...about 7-8 dollars on EBay :Grin-Nod:

The issue at hand is not a major thing, but seeing it never happened before on WJ, AC, CP ,WD and a few US air lines I was wondering if the rules had changed for some reason.

Have a nice weekend all..

Boestar.....still as wonderful as ever and we cheated for about 90 seconds :103: .......-154...... feet on the computer

There is nothing wrong in breast feeding one's infant, so long as it done in a dignified manner. To wip it out and not cover, only encourges people to view one's breast. If that's your thing, well don't complain if people starts staring.

It works quite well to stare at folks that do stupid things, as in this example or speaking loudly on cell phone, especially those that are doing million dollar deals, to impress, I guess, in public.

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Found the answer re- not being able to use ones own headset whereas supplied ear-bud headsets are OK (during a high altitude descent).

Apparently one can use their own headset IF you have it plugged into the aircraft audio/video system.

You may recall I was told to remove my Sony, (over the head), headset during a descent and apparently if I had shown the FA that it was plugged into the aircraft system, that is to say not plugged into any personal audio device, I would have been permitted to keep using it.

I can understand the FA's position as she probably assumed I was NOT plugged into the aircraft system because she could not see the wire going under and up into the arm rest audio jack....fair enough :biggrin1: .

Not quite. You can use your own earbud type earphones during boarding, deplaning, and critical phases of flight as long as they're plugged into the acft's entertainment system. Over the head types are not allowed to be worn for any reason at those times.

Not quite. You can use your own earbud type earphones during boarding, deplaning, and critical phases of flight as long as they're plugged into the acft's entertainment system. Over the head types are not allowed to be worn for any reason at those times.

Well..OK....but .it's too bad that FD and CSDs or whatever they are called now :biggrin1: , from different airlines don't all read and recite from the same bible. :glare:

Archived