Opinions....

You've got'em, we've all got 'em.... Speak your mind!

I've recently been forced to recognize that too many people will stay quiet on their opinions, and as a result, sometimes, lousy things happen. Speak your mind folks. Don't sit there tight-lipped when the noisy few state their case and change things to suit them.

Too many people won't speak. That's a recurring problem.

Mitch is right. Exchanges of ideas and opinions is what make progress. What the problem is that when ones opinion is not "liked" and the personal attacks begin. Opinions are like #$%holes, everyones got em' you may not like em but everyones got em.

Opinions are like #$%holes, everyones got em' you may not like em but everyones got em.

But some smell worse than others, particularly the ones who think their *^#& doesn't stink.

You've got'em, we've all got 'em.... Speak your mind!

I've recently been forced to recognize that too many people will stay quiet on their opinions, and as a result, sometimes, lousy things happen. Speak your mind folks. Don't sit there tight-lipped when the noisy few state their case and change things to suit them.

Too many people won't speak. That's a recurring problem.

I hope all hell breaks loose in YYZ during the G20,G8 Gspot whatever

This is a meeting on how the filthy rich can seperate the rest of us from our cash

And why is this being held?,just to piss off the people and see if they can get away with it

I would be a proud Canadian to see the **bleep** hit the fan

....sometimes I wonder if zipped isn't really Archie Bunker....

This is why I rarely offer an opinion here anymore... it took me a long time (and I'm still working on it) to get to a place where I no longer feel the need to make others wrong to be secure in my own opinions. It is very liberating to be able to say "Everyone is entitled to their opinion" and actually mean it. :icon_jook:

Who said anyone was "wrong"? Archie had his opinions, zipped has his, you have yours and I have mine, right? I don't think much of Sarah Palin, zipped does... so what? Is one of us "wrong" for having an opposing opinion? I don't think so.

The character Archie Bunker was a "reactionary, bigoted, conservative blue-collar worker" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bunker) so when you attempt to belittle someone by comparing them to a less than stellar character just for offering his opinion (which you solicited) I see that as an attempt to lessen their opinion in order to validate yours.

I have no problem with this as it is indeed your right to brand anyone who disagrees with you as an Archie It's just a notice :icon_pidu:

....sometimes I wonder if zipped isn't really Archie Bunker.... :Scratch-Head:

Who said anyone was "wrong"? Archie had his opinions, zipped has his, you have yours and I have mine, right? I don't think much of Sarah Palin, zipped does... so what? Is one of us "wrong" for having an opposing opinion? I don't think so.

So your comment wasn't a shot at zipped? I would say Archie Bunker is generally thought of as a bigot. Here's my opinion Mitch, your full of it. It was a shot.

And now some rightie commentary. :biggrin2:

In my opinion there is a decided "political left leaning" of the majority of members here and anytime someone from the right makes a comment that is at odds with those left leanings they are pounced upon. Just as you did with your Achie Bunker shot.

Not everyone wants to move to the Left Coast, buy some Birkenstocks, hug a tree and sit around the campfire every night singing Kumbayah while toking on Kelowna Gold. But those that do are free to express their opinions and hopefully take advantage of the great transportation systems provided in this country to achieve their Nirvana post haste.

:Victory::064:

Enjoy what's left of your weekend folks.

There ya go... see? We all have our opinions... Even someone who thinks black is red and up is down can spout off when they think they have a good target.

I think it's better to be heard, in many cases. The ridiculous assumptions others can make can clearly get wild enough when you do speak, imagine how cocked up things could get if you were silent all the time.

That's how inequalities can be perpetuated and things the majority don't want can be made law... a vocal minority takes the stage, and quiet sheep allow it. ...pretty soon you can't sing Christmas songs in school, their are short 'n scrawny cops and fire-fighters, convicted child killers have more rights than their victim's families, and the RCMP have changed their uniform...

The character Archie Bunker was a "reactionary, bigoted, conservative blue-collar worker" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archie_Bunker) so when you attempt to belittle someone by comparing them to a less than stellar character just for offering his opinion (which you solicited) I see that as an attempt to lessen their opinion in order to validate yours.

I have no problem with this as it is indeed your right to brand anyone who disagrees with you as an Archie It's just a notice :icon_pidu:

Brett... dang it laddie, I haven't "branded" anyone at all... He reminds me of Archie sometimes, is that a better way to word it? You know, he likes Sarah Palin for President and Fox News?... what can I say? ....reminds me of Archie. ....an observation more than a shot. I wouldn't be surprised to hear zipped come out and say he liked Archie.

Cargo Sniper there loves to take shots at me for some reason, but that's alright too... it's only opinion, and .... we all got 'em. ;)

Not everyone wants to move to the Left Coast, buy some Birkenstocks, hug a tree and sit around the campfire every night singing Kumbayah while toking on Kelowna Gold.

:Victory::064:

Enjoy what's left of your weekend folks.

OK OK - now you are denigrating everybody on the Left Coast!!!!!!! :angryangry:

And just for your edification- those hug-a-trees don't sit around campfires, that would mean burning what they want to hug!!! :biggrin2:

Guest woxof

You know, I once mention in a thread about how the Poles have an animosity toward the Russians. A fact that was highlighted recently with the air disaster in Smolensk as the Polish president was heading there to commemorate the 20,000 Polish intelectuals massacred by the Russians during WWII(and denied for decades).

I was labelled as "spring-loaded toward racism" for that factual statement I made. It seems to be a habit with this fellow.

You know, I once mention in a thread about how the Poles have an animosity toward the Russians. A fact that was highlighted recently with the air disaster in Smolensk as the Polish president was heading there to commemorate the 20,000 Polish intelectuals massacred by the Russians during WWII(and denied for decades).

I was labelled as "spring-loaded toward racism" for that factual statement I made. It seems to be a habit with this fellow.

You poor fellow! Imagine! Someone found an innocent statement like :"They know what the Russians represent...then and now", and somehow twisted it to sound like hatred?.... How ever did you cope? :Sob:

Guest woxof

You poor fellow! Imagine! Someone found an innocent statement like :"They know what the Russians represent...then and now", and somehow twisted it to sound like hatred?.... How ever did you cope? :Sob:

I rest my case. Brett your quote below about Mitch is bang on....

"so when you attempt to belittle someone by comparing them to a less than stellar character just for offering his opinion (which you solicited) I see that as an attempt to lessen their opinion in order to validate yours."

I rest my case. Brett your quote below about Mitch is bang on....

"so when you attempt to belittle someone by comparing them to a less than stellar character just for offering his opinion (which you solicited) I see that as an attempt to lessen their opinion in order to validate yours."

What was your case?

I more or less agree with that statement by Brett as well. (the "more or less" part being that I think it's unlikely that one would be attempting to "validate" their own opinion in such a manner... more likely it's used to add clarity, as in an analogy) The thing is, however, I hadn't attempted to belittle anyone. If Brett thinks Archie Bunker is a "less than stellar" character, I happen to agree, but I reckon the huge portion of the population his character was intended to parody might not agree. ...and as I said, I'm not at all sure zipped would agree.

We're talking about speaking our minds here as well... The expression of opinion was the intended object of the thread. Our opinions obviously often differ... When I, or anyone, express an opinion here, or anywhere, I'm inviting commentary, or the exchange of opinion.. dialogue. If my opinion, or my commonly held stance reminds anyone of Fred Flintstone or Billy the Kid, they're most welcome to say so. It's their opinion. ....

Now if someone does attempt to belittle in order to invalidate the opposing opinion... like saying someone is a "repulsive type", or "simple-minded".... That's a little different I think.

Hi Folks, Zipped here, happy fathers day to all you daddy-o's out there.

So I assume now it's okay to voice a few conservative views. After all we do have a Conservative Govt now in Canada.

The link below is not may words buy will describe my ideology. From my friends at pugetsoundradio.

http://www.pugetsoundradio.com/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1276968546/

Not an Archie Bunker type at all, just a clear thinking conservative. Most clear listeners and thinkers will end up somewhat conservative as they age and mature. Think back 20-30 years and know how much smarter you are today.

Peggy Noonan of the WSJ has it right on the weak and inexperienced US President.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704289504575313181930072638.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

I consider myself to be a conservative, but the opinions of Sarah Palin and the folks at Fox News have nothing in common with my own. To me those people are not conservatives, they are right wing extremists who are every bit as frightful in their own way as Bin Laden and his contemporaries. That's the problem with broad-brush labels like liberal and conservative, they leave no room for nuance.

If this is a dig, well it is what it is, but I would never be so bold as to self-proclaim that I am "clear thinking".

Guest woxof

I consider myself to be a conservative, but the opinions of Sarah Palin and the folks at Fox News have nothing in common with my own. To me those people are not conservatives, they are right wing extremists who are every bit as frightful in their own way as Bin Laden and his contemporaries. That's the problem with broad-brush labels like liberal and conservative, they leave no room for nuance.

If this is a dig, well it is what it is, but I would never be so bold as to self-proclaim that I am "clear thinking".

The comparison to Bin Laden is of course, absolutely ridiculous. Seeing as you would probably be kidnapped, tortured and killed by his folks if you visited.

Howver, the neo-cons down in the U.S. are a bunch of bible thumpers that want to impose their moral values on us and do seem to get farther and farther more fringe-like. However, You will find that they are trying to do it for the most part through their constitution. Elections and the courts. That is why the constitution you get is so extremely important.

A couple of intersting points on this thread.

These are all my opinion, naturally.

Anyone who dredges up a year+ old grievance to score some sort of "point" on a message board needs to get out more.

I disagree with the notion that this board leans left. I think it leans right however as was elequentlt stated, broad labels do not really do service in furthering a discussion.

I don't think Mitch was trying to be mean with his use of the comparison to Archie Bunker. He was a more complex character than a straight bigot.

Personally not excited for Sun TV news but have no problem with it. I get a kick out of people who claim LIBERAL BIAS!!! in the media when in fact most media outlets tend conservative.

The "weak inexperienced" collumn was a load of crap and another example of the piling on that certain elements of the media do. Obama could cure cancer tomorrow and these same people would claim it was a failure because he did not do it last week.

Anyone who listens to Glen Beck or Rush as a way to get a take on world events and not for entertainment value is a moron.

Anyone who thinks Sara Palin would make a good president is a moron.

Again, these are my opinions. I know people that I disagree with politically who are people I like very much. They are just woefully uninformed and prisoners of their own echo chamber that right wing media provides them.

• 5 months later...

Hello

anyone looking forward to the new TV station http://www.suntvnews.ca/

Is anyone as excited as me. The NDP and other lefties may not like the conservative commentary. May finally have some balance in the news.

Sun TV gets go ahead to operate new 24-hr conservative news service

http://ca.rss.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/101126/business/sun_tv_licence

By Julian Beltrame, The Canadian Press

ADVERTISEMENT

OTTAWA - Canadians are about the get a third 24-hour English-language cable news channel, and it's one that plans to shake up the industry.

The CRTC has approved a five-year licence for Sun TV news service — referred to by critics as Fox News North — to go into direct competition with CBC's Newsworld and the CTV News Channel.

The federal regulator's green light was considered a sure thing after Quebecor Inc. dropped its request for a special licence that would have required cable and satellite carriers to offer the service.

The Category 2 competitive licence means the new station will need to negotiate with cable and satellite carriers for a place on their line-up.

Last summer, Quebecor officials argued that failing to be designated as a must-offer channel like the CTV and CBC news services would doom the enterprise.

But the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission had previously ruled that no such licences would be issued because it was dropping the category next September.

In a news release after the announcement Friday, Quebecor chief executive Pierre Karl Peladeau betrayed no sense of disappointment about receiving the less desirable licence.

"Today marks the dawn of a new era for Canadian news media," he said.

Peladeau said the new channel, which may begin airing as early as Jan. 1, will aim to "challenge conventional wisdom and offer Canadians a new choice and a new voice."

The release said the channel will feature a "hard news-straight talk" format.

The enterprise has been controversial from the very beginning, in part because Quebecor's initial pick to head the operation was Prime Minister Harper's recently resigned communications director Kory Teneycke, known for his combative personality.

Teneycke's subsequent statements made it clear the new station would tilt decidedly to the right, triggering the advocacy group Avaaz to launch a petition to stop Quebecor from obtaining a Category 1 licence. Teneycke abruptly resigned in mid-September, about the same time Avaaz called for a police probe over interference with its online petition.

In a speech in Ottawa last month, Peladeau announced he was dropping his request for a preferred licence, while lashing out at his critics, calling some of the charges "shocking" and "off the wall."

In particular, he denied he had a "secret deal" with the prime minister to offer favourable coverage to the government, and said it was simplistic to call the new station right wing.

He said the station would resemble the Sun newspapers, which while on the right of the political spectrum, were also "populist, irreverent, sometimes provocative."

Archived