The Mac and the Dinosaur

Mu desktop PC is due for an update and instead of going out and spending ~$1000 on another PC I'm considering either a Macbook Pro or iMac. Any recommendations? I would be using it for internet, multimedia, and some photo editing (if I decide to take up photography as a more serious hobby).

24" iMac. I have the 20" and it's great for all that, but I hear the 24" screen has better viewing angles (I do lots of photo editing, it's a hobby and sometimes wish that the screen had more consistent viewing angles). If you have the space and $ get the 24".

My iMac is circa late 2007 (the first silver ones) so the screens may have improved on the 20" since then.

I hear the new MBP screens are spectacular, if you don't mind the smaller size. I'd like to get a 13" MBP for the road, but my $$$ is kinda spoken for right now (bathroom renos etc).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 20" screens also have an issue with colour - apparantly (I own the 24"). I believe there is a lawsuit over the fact that it does not show the range of colours as advertised.

The problem--once you get the nice 24 inch screen and do some photo editing you can NEVER go back smile.gif

Don't rule out the Mac Mini. Fairly inexpensive by Mac standards...hook it up to the monitor & keyboard of your choice & Bob's your Uncle.

I bought the original G4 1.42 in 2005 & still use it as my primary machine.

Easy to work on, add RAM etc. The original hard drive has just packed it in & I'm now waiting for delivery of a nice 320gb that I picked up for about $135 online.

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up a new 13" Macbook Pro on the weekend, seems nice enough although I am not loving the non-removable battery or new firewire port. I'm not entirely sure what makes this a "Pro" when last years Macbook appears to be identical.

I have been an on again, off again Mac user since pretty close to day one. I'm not sure if it is a replacement for my Mac Mini or not yet.

I found a pair of headphones a few years back that had "NUDE TURBO" printed in them. I can think of no other reason for this other than marketing to a male market. There was nothing Nude or Turbo about them.

I picked up a new 13" Macbook Pro on the weekend, seems nice enough although I am not loving the non-removable battery or new firewire port. I'm not entirely sure what makes this a "Pro" when last years Macbook appears to be identical.

I have been an on again, off again Mac user since pretty close to day one. I'm not sure if it is a replacement for my Mac Mini or not yet.

You can turn that Mac mini in to a pretty cool version of Apple TV that will play any file format for your TV. I've only heard about this from a friend overseas but seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe he's lurking here and can explain how he set it up (paging Mayday) wink.gif

Pretty strong rumours that the iMac and the Mini may be in for an upgrade in the not too distant future. Might be worth holding off for a couple of weeks.

As far as using a Mini as an entertainment centre, Google around on that. You can use it as a music server, download podcasts, movies from iTunes, slide shows from iPhoto, play a variety of radio stations, ( through a connected audio system if you wish), from iTunes and play your DVDs to your TV.

If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch you can use them as a remote controller with the free Remote app from Apple that allows you to use both those gadgets as a remote.

If you are into the highest of Fi, you can use an Apple TV or a Mini as a digital source of music, taking the signal from it in digital form to your own Digital/Analog converter, (you need to get a Toslink cable to convey the digital signal), then to your amplification etc. Rip your CDs in Lossless to iTunes and you have your digital source about as good as it gets. You then have all your CD collection at your fingertips on a hard drive.

If you want to read more about using an Apple TV as a music server this news letter from PS Audio gives details although I am sure you can do the same with a Mini.

http://dealers.psaudio.com/articles/applemusicserver.asp

You can turn that Mac mini in to a pretty cool version of Apple TV that will play any file format for your TV. I've only heard about this from a friend overseas but seems like a pretty good idea. Maybe he's lurking here and can explain how he set it up (paging Mayday)

I'd be interested in a link to that info.

Paging Mayday rolleyes.gif

Archived