AC lands at YYT due to unruly passenger

Kip Powick

ST. JOHN’S, N.L. – A Toronto woman facing three charges after an air-rage incident on an Air Canada flight Tuesday evening has been released from custody.

Colleen Walsh, 48, was visibly upset and crying when she appeared in provincial court in St. John’s, N.L., on Wednesday.

She was released on an undertaking to keep the peace and be of good behaviour, post a deposit of $2,500 with the court, and be back in court May 7.

Walsh was arrested after police were called to St. John’s International Airport about 5:30 p.m. Tuesday.

A passenger is alleged to have been intoxicated and unruly aboard a flight that had just landed.

The charges include: unlawfully endangering the safety or security of an aircraft; wilfully obstructing or interfering with the lawful use of property; and causing a disturbance by shouting or using obscene language.

The name caught my eye right away, but I didn't think it would be her. She got her start on TV with the CTV affiliate in Kitchener and she has a reputation as a genuinely nice person. Makes me wonder why she was acting that way.

Her website

'I was not intoxicated,' says broadcaster

Apr 03, 2009 - Toronto Star

Emily Mathieu - Staff Reporter

A Toronto radio and television broadcaster accused of air rage says she was trying to help a sick passenger and acted erratically because of medications and stress.

"I can assure you, I was not intoxicated ... I may have appeared intoxicated because I was groggy, but I was not," Colleen Walsh said in Toronto yesterday.

Walsh, a medical journalist and news reader who has worked for Global, CTV and CBC Radio, was en route to Toronto from Ireland when the plane was diverted for a medical emergency.

When the plane landed, flight crew caring for an ill woman asked if there was a doctor on board.

Walsh, who is trained in CPR and first aid, said she offered to help. She said she had drunk two glasses of wine with her inflight dinner, had missed taking her medication for menopause and had just taken a sleeping pill.

"A flight attendant barked at me: `No, we have first aid, too, we need a doctor,'" she said yesterday.

"So I stood to the side and said, `Better me than nobody.'"

A passenger then yelled at her to sit down, Walsh said. When he made a comment as she went to her seat, she said she pushed his head with her open palm.

"I pushed him gently to say, `Shut up.' I didn't hit him, I didn't shove him. But there was contact."

"I felt like I was a caged animal being attacked."

huh.gif

Am I the only one who's thinking her "explanation" doesn't make her look any better?

- 2 glasses of wine

- just took a sleeping pill

- forgot to take her hormones

- groggy but figured she was capable of helping the FAs with a medical emergency?

- slapped some guy in the head

Would have been better not to say anything than to say all this.

Guest rattler

Sounds very much like the old tried and true.....:

I am not guilty of (fill in the blank), because I was (take your pick: drunk, drugged, deranged, abused as a child etc.) defense at work.

Just make her pay the landing fee, fuel costs, groundhandling, crew cost, maintenance cost, and any costs incurred due to misconnected passengers.

Good luck on actually collecting a dime of that, your going to get your millions out of Price Abubooboo before you recoup the costs of a medical or air rage diversion.

When you win civil damages or criminal restitution the judge doesn't just whip out his cheque book and trying to enforce the above just digs you into a deeper hole financially.

Just make her pay the landing fee, fuel costs, groundhandling, crew cost, maintenance cost, and any costs incurred due to misconnected passengers.

Thats all wink.gif

Iceman

There are two intermingled stories here.

The plane did NOT divert because of the journalist. It diverted because of another very sick female passenger requiring urgent medical care.

The sick or drunk journalist saga was just a side show to the main event. Lakelads post is the most accurate accounts of the facts in this thread.

Archived