New International Airline at YYC

internet

Let's see - KLM? That's a lot of seats over the Atlantic

AeroMexico - another Mexican airline??

Asia? I thought AC slashed seats over the pacific because Asian traffic is way down... but maybe a Korean airline - Charters turned sked?

Mid-east? Could the rumblings be true?

CALGARY, ALBERTA--(Marketwire - Dec. 8, 2008) - The Calgary Airport Authority invites the media to attend a press conference welcoming a new international airline to Calgary International Airport.

Date: Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Time: 10:00 A.M. (local time)

Departures level, Kananaskis Hall

(Pre-security, behind the main WestJet check-in area between

Starbucks and Kelsey's)

Format: Mayor Dave Bronconnier; Alberta Minister of Tourism, Parks and Recreation Cindy Ady; Garth Atkinson, President and CEO of The Calgary Airport Authority; Stephan Poirier Vice President & Chief Commercial Officer for The Calgary Airport Authority and senior executives of a international airline will be available to media to answer questions following the announcement.

Representatives from Travel Alberta, Tourism Calgary, Tourism Canmore, Banff Lake Louise Tourism and Calgary Economic Development will also be in attendance.

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20081209?rpc=44

BRUSSELS, Dec 9 (Reuters) - All European Union airlines will be able to fly directly to Canada from anywhere in the bloc under a coming aviation deal that also scraps investment curbs in the sector, the EU's executive arm said on Tuesday.

EU Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani said the 27-nation bloc and Canada had made a breakthrough in talks on the agreement, which would remove restrictions on routes, prices and the number of weekly flights between Canada and the EU.

So a European airline makes much more sense now, doesn't it.

KLM - Could it be Air France?

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews...20081209?rpc=44

BRUSSELS, Dec 9 (Reuters) - All European Union airlines will be able to fly directly to Canada from anywhere in the bloc under a coming aviation deal that also scraps investment curbs in the sector, the EU's executive arm said on Tuesday.

EU Transport Commissioner Antonio Tajani said the 27-nation bloc and Canada had made a breakthrough in talks on the agreement, which would remove restrictions on routes, prices and the number of weekly flights between Canada and the EU.

So a European airline makes much more sense now, doesn't it.

KLM - Could it be Air France?

It could be an airline other than KL, but KL always had liberal access to Canada. Canada had virtual open skies with the Netherlands.

I was talking to someone from the CAA a few months back who had mentioned that Air France and Korean Air were kicking some tires in YYC. I believe one of them (AF I think) had also been over to Cara to assess the facilities and quality.

KLM has also been on the radar for a while.

We'll find out in 40 mins!

http://www.calgaryherald.com/resume+Calgar...2549/story.html

KLM Airlines is returning to Calgary.

Flights will start in May, and service will begin with five non-stop flights a week from Calgary to Amsterdam.

The announcement, made today at the Calgary International Airport, marks the return of The Netherlands-based KLM to Calgary after an absence of about 12 years.

gteel@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

http://www.calgaryherald.com/resume+Calgar...2549/story.html

KLM Airlines is returning to Calgary.

Flights will start in May, and service will begin with five non-stop flights a week from Calgary to Amsterdam.

The announcement, made today at the Calgary International Airport, marks the return of The Netherlands-based KLM to Calgary after an absence of about 12 years.

gteel@theherald.canwest.com

© Copyright © The Calgary Herald

That bites sad.gif

FROM: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=897359

The long awaited announcement (by me anyway ):

On 03 May 2009 KLM will start direct flights to Calgary:

- frequency: five times a week (day 2, 3, 4, 5 en 7)

- metal: A330-200

- schedule:

AMS-YYC 15.20 – 16.20 uur

YYC-AMS 18.05 – 10.55 uur

Introduction fare:

03 May - 16 June 2009: EUR 430 (VKSTA9NL)

17 June - 28 August 2009: EUR 625 (VHSTA9NL)

Fare applies to bookings made between 10 December and 31 January 2009 in V class.

Why?

I work for a Dutch company in Africa and have always traveled on AC either through FRA (which I prefer) or LHR now I'll have to travel on KLM and their points system sucks sad.gif

Archived