Time for Winter Tires

J.O.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great commercial! But I think snow tires are generally for people who don't know how to drive in the snow!

I used to think that too. Then I came upon a corner that had just had a local squall, and found myself on snow covered ice. I wasn't going very fast, but my summer tires just didn't cut it and I slid through the intersection into the side of a stake truck. Within a minute of it happening, a guy came along in the same type of car with a new set of Michelin X-Ice tires, and he stopped without any problem. It convinced me, and I've had a set of them on my Jetta ever since.

Count me as about 74 votes for snow tires! Please believe us Moon, good ones will completely change your view of driving in snow. Yes, you can, if you're good, get by in many Canadian cities without, but you can be so much more in control with... and therefore that much more safe. ...as are those around you.

For the record, I highly recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Fabulous control in snow! (I think I've said this before?)...I hear Blizzak's are as good.

Count me as about 74 votes for snow tires! Please believe us Moon, good ones will completely change your view of driving in snow. Yes, you can, if you're good, get by in many Canadian cities without, but you can be so much more in control with... and therefore that much more safe. ...as are those around you.

For the record, I highly recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Fabulous control in snow! (I think I've said this before?)...I hear Blizzak's are as good.

Spot On Mitch - there are many situations in Canada where snow tires are warranted. I "hear" J.O.'s example - I slid through an intersection in Richmond years ago due to having all seasons on. Problem was, it was a rainy night, I was going too fast, my tires were 5 years old, and it was....AUGUST!!!

Then there was my time in St. John's where I was shut down by two inches of wet frozen snow (a cross between freezing rain and rock-hard snow). Studded snow tires became the only way of getting around.

Trouble is, you can only use studded snow tires in very few places in Canada. They turn your car into a tank.

What's the story this year in Quebec?? Is it mandatory to have snow tires while driving in Quebec, or just if you're a resident?

Vroom, Vroom, VROOOOMMMMMMMMM......

For the record, I highly recommend Nokian Hakkapeliitta's. Fabulous control in snow!

I second that recommendation. We are on our second set of Nokians and have recommended then to family and friends over and over again.

Winter tires!? Do they even sell those in YVR!? I just took off my summer tires and put on my all seasons 3 weeks ago!! laugh.gif

Geez, Loui-ezzzee - The Lower Mainland is the epitome of all seasons.

'Cepting of course after that first snow storm where all the Benz's, BMW's, RR's and other driver-less drivers have planted themselves in the 5 foot ditches.

Trouble is, you can only use studded snow tires in very few places in Canada. They turn your car into a tank.

This is very wrong information. Studded tires were only completely banned from Ontario. Now they are allowed in northern Ontario. In other areas, they are allowed with some having restrictions for winter only. Unfortunately the myth continues about studs being illegal almost everywhere. The first link is older.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/c...s/tirestud.html

http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GONE/2005/...〈=_e.html

wink.gif

This is very wrong information. Studded tires were only completely banned from Ontario. Now they are allowed in northern Ontario. In other areas, they are allowed with some having restrictions for winter only. Unfortunately the myth continues about studs being illegal almost everywhere. The first link is older.

Well then, that is good news. How about the restrictions in Quebec? I was told snow tires are mandatory during certain months.

Re Quebec and snow tires...............

It will become mandatory next fall, (2008) for all vehicles to be equipped with a full set of winter tires from Nov. 15 to April 15

There is an acute shortage of snow tires in the Province. It is so acute that some folks have gone out in the morning and found their vehicle up on blocks and all 4 snow tires missing!! sad.gif

http://www.cbc.ca/consumers/market/files/c...s/tirestud.html

http://ogov.newswire.ca/ontario/GONE/2005/...〈=_e.html

wink.gif

You must be a resident of Northern Ontario to drive on Studded tires. If you are a resident of southern Ontario it matters not where youare driving you cannot have studded tires.

Backwards ass laws yet again. Who in their right mind would drive on studs if they are not required???? Can you say NOISY ride?

Who in their right mind would drive on studs if they are not required???? Can you say NOISY ride?

Yeah, but...

Ever been on the 102 in Halifax during one of their classic storms where the snow builds up to a foot in depth without them plowing?

Ever climbed through Roger's Pass during a blizzard in a light car?

Ever been in St. John's during one of their freezing rain, snow, fog, wind, clear sky events?

Studs be the answer, boy! And if the snow is deep enough, ya can't even here the clackety-clack wink.gif

then they would be required...Wouldnt they?

The Quebec legislation allows studs but they are not necessary. I just found them to be of huge assistance when traversing those wonderful conditions!

NS does not plow the heavy snowfalls because nearly everytime, the snowfall is followed by freezing rain. Once the freezing rain stops, they're out in force with the snowploughs.

Interesting thread. Why don't airplanes have snow tires? From J.O.'s point of view earlier, the tread is more important for stopping than moving over snow and ice.

(Had to get some aviation content in here somehow!)

Interesting thread. Why don't airplanes have snow tires? From J.O.'s point of view earlier, the tread is more important for stopping than moving over snow and ice.

J.O. is correct......and you almost answered your own question laugh.gif If we stay in the commercial world you can see the problem we would have with snow tires with respect to aircraft scheduling laugh.gif .

As there is no drive system on the gear there would be very little use to have snow tires on airliners and in mostcases aircraft traverse plowed runways or compacted snow from plowing so an actual snow tire would not help that much. The disadvantages, (cost/scheduling/total use/inventory/operational concerns) of using ST on airliners far outweigh any benefit.

Up north though, some aircraft change tires in the winter and the Twin Otter comes to mind as the "tundra" tires give a bigger footprint on soft snow and non-hard surfaced R/Ws.

And finally.....pilots are so good that snow tires are not required.............except on their private vehicles which have limited reverse thrust, differential power, and nose-wheel steering biggrin.gif

And finally.....pilots are so good that snow tires are not required.............except on their private vehicles which have limited reverse thrust, differential power, and nose-wheel steering biggrin.gif

Heck, if they drove their personal vehicles with the same care, consideration, and respect for the speed limits that they drove their aircraft.....

They wouldn't need snow tires on them either tongue.gif

Iceman biggrin.gif

IMO, the only person who might say that snow tires, or, more correctly, winter tires aren't needed is someone who hasn't driven on them! The difference is really significant. I have spent winters in BC, NWT, SK, MB, Northwestern Ontario, southern Ontario and NS and like most red-blooded Canadian men I consider my winter driving skills to be above average but it wasn't until I finally drove on a new set of winters that I realized what I'd been missing all those years. I watched a tv show last year (Marketplace?) where they had a top-notch Canadian rally driver drive two vehicles around a snowy track - one had all-season tires and one had winter tires. in this case the driver really was above average and he still couldn't make the all-season tires perform.

Archived