When good news isn't so good?

Mitch Cronin

There's a lesson here somewhere, I think, but I just can't quite place it yet.... The story goes like this:

I'm sitting down with my wife, watching tv, about a half hour after we had dinner alone together (both young'ns were elsewhere)... I get up to let a dog inside and then head to the kitchen to put some dishes away and tidy up a bit, when out of nowhere comes this feeling like someone is squeezing me from front to back!... huh.gif I think "Krikey, that's a lousy feeling... hey! - is this it?... and no sooner than those thoughts have rattled once around in the vast chasms within my noggin', it hits even harder! It's like someone kneeling on my chest while my back is pinned on someone elses knee... "Call 911" sez me... "What?" sez she. "Call 911!" I said, "I'm not kidding, I think I'm having a heart attack!

So she dials but then immediately hangs up... "Do you think I can drive you?" she asks.... "Ya, ok, drive me now." I say... feeling cold sweats and a heavyiness in my chest still... Then the phone rings... It's the folks at 911. They want to know why someone dialed then hung up real quick before anyone could answer (Not sure how they get the call display that quick? Diana said it never rang even once!)... So they talk to Diana while I settle into a hard sweat... soaked I am now, while she's on the phone... soaked with sweat, and vision starting to narrow (I've felt that one before and I know what comes next If I don't lie down quick.)

So anyway.... 20 minutes later (no I'm not kidding, it took them 20 minutes... maybe 21) a whole flock of folks come in the door and they get me wired and weirded real quick... after I volunteer to walk out the door they all look a little relieved (by then I was feeling much better) and off I go for my very first ride in the back of an ambulance... bouncing and thrashing for an incredibly long time (too long and I knew it...they didn't know where they were, so of course they didn't know the best route to the hospital).... and eventually we wind up at Markham Stouffville Hospital where Diana has already been waiting for a while (she took the car)....

....So let's see now... we ate about 7:20 or so, the -whateveritwas- happened about 8:00 or so, so they want me to hang in for a blood test to be done at 04:00 -or about 8 hours after, so they can see if my heart was indeed the culprit.

It wasn't. huh.gif .... and here I am back home and should be heading off to work in about 15 minutes ( I'm not goin' though. I've already learnt all the hard lessons about sleep and work. wink.gif but what a way to get a flippin' day off! )

I don't know what the hell hit me, but it evidently wasn't any heart trouble... so ya can't believe all you hear about how heart troubles come... sometimes it's something else entirely.

There was one other time I thought I was having a heart attack, but as I recall it, that wasn't at all like this one... which is a part of what made me think this was real.

This hurt a lot, Right in the center of my chest through to my back, I was soaked in sweat (witnessed) and I believed I felt a pain radiating down my left arm....(in hindsight, I must have imagined that)... but it wasn't my heart at all. ..... huh.gif

I reckon by now if it ever is real, I'm not gonna buy it and I'll be a kipper on a cracker before those 20 minutes are done next time.

But you know what, it almost doesn't matter that it was a false alarm. As far as I was concerned, it was as real as rain that I was a gonner... I'm having another drink, and I just gave both dogs more breakfast than they ever get... you only live once after all. smile.gif

That could be the lesson I guess? That's a better one than what first occurred to me - never believe you're toast until you really are toast.

Anyway, cheers to all of you. Even Hadji Ramjet.... Somehow this drink tastes a little better than any of the others.

Mitch,

better safe than sorry. Smart move to go to the hospital.

I had a pump failure 9 years ago. Everyones symptoms are different. For me it was pressure through the back and nausea, I ignored it and figured it was something I ate. I woke the next am sick to my stomach and short of breath, went to the DR and was placed on the hospital pronto. Never take a chance, have it looked into, it could be your body giving you a warning shot.

Glad to hear it was nothing serious.

Guest rattler

Mitch, there is one common condition that has symptoms like those of a heart attack, I know from experience. I too thought I was having a heart attack but further investigation found I had an esophageal hernia (at 41). Surgery corrected the problem but treatment today is most often only a magic pill a day. cool.gif

A hiatus hernia occurs when the upper part of the stomach moves into the thoracic cavity (chest) through an enlarged esophageal hiatus (opening) in the diaphragm.

Although often asymptomatic, sufferers complain of chest pain or heartburn with esophageal reflux, aggravated by alcohol, smoking, coffee and highly acidic foods. Discomfort is worse laying down after eating and the diagnosis is often made by special X-Rays (barium swallow).

Chest pain from hiatal hernia and/or esophageal spasms may be extremely difficult to distinguish from chest pain of cardiac origin. The symptoms of pain spreading from below the sternum (breastbone) to the neck, jaw, and arms can mimic the symptoms of coronary artery disease. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is best to immediately seek medical care to evaluate your problem.

Mitch, I am sure you're going to follow up on this with some more Medical people, right? Over the years, we all pay a lot of taxes to support our health care system. Let's see how much you can get your money's worth back!

Glad you're feeling better. smile.gif

Mitch;

Most people, in denial, wait too long to act. The lesson, (and thank you for posting your experience), is straightforward enough - act when unfamiliar, unhealthy symptoms occur and don't reduce.

The corollary to this valuable lesson is, in our healthcare system one is on one's own and so must be one's own strong and vocal advocate from initial symptoms to resolution. My mom almost lost her vision to a virus, waiting too long because she didn't want to "bother the doctor" over Christmas...different generation, different expectations; - no longer appropriate. I am very glad you told your story and am elated you're healthy - the experience is not pleasant I know and carries one, depending upon one's beliefs, towards absolutes - the "sun in one's eyes" is deeply precious. Stay well; - for your family (including the hound), your friends and the airplanes who all need you...

Mitch,

I too am glad you're OK. I'll echo what the others are saying 'cause I know sometimes you just don't listen. Follow up with your family Dr. wink.gif

Now if I can just get you to listen about what comes after death, I'll feel even better! rolleyes.gif

Get well,

Felix

Bending this thread just a little.....

When someone is choking, or having chest pains or other discomfort, it's not unusual for them to leave a dinner or gathering to avoid disrupting the event and avoid attracting attention.

If you're at a dinner or gathering, and someone suddenly leaves the room without an obvious reason, keep this in mind. People may not ask for help. It's up to us to check if our friends need help.

Cheers,

Henry

Glad you're okay, Mitch. Good on you for raising the red flag at the first sign of trouble. It's a whole lot better to be safe than sorry. Be well my friend. Maybe you need one of us to send you a bottle of Maalox in the mail! tongue.gif

Jeff

P.S.

Hey Rattler:

Isn't it a "hiatal hernia"? I think it would only be a hiatus hernia if you were on an extended vacation! wink.gif

You're all too kind. Thanks.

If anyone ever wants to write a book on 1001 ways to feel small, I'm sure I can help.

For now, I'll just keep repeating the chant I've come to know so well:

Owa

Tana

Siam

rolleyes.gif

Holy Jumping Mitch, why feel small. Gees, you did the wise and prudent thing, if anything hold your head high. If you had ignored it and it was the pump failure, your childrn may have been with out a dad. Kudos for deciding on the hospital route. thumbup.gif

Mitch ... about those rums you've been offered (or cookies etc) ... you're not just telling us to get on with it while we can, are you? biggrin.gif

Take care, Everybody, there's nobody out here getting any younger whistling.gif

Archived