A340 vs wall - wall wins

Trader

AIRBUS press release #1

Issued at 15 November 2007, 20:15

Accident at Saint-Martin Airbus site

Toulouse: Airbus deeply regrets to confirm that an accident occurred at its Saint-Martin site in Toulouse this afternoon.

The accident occurred at 5:00 pm local time, when engine-run-ups were being carried out on an A340-600, MSN 856, which was due to be delivered to Etihad in the coming days.

There were nine persons on board out of them five people sustained injuries. There are no fatalities.

At this time, recovery operations are still in progress and Airbus staff is working closely with the emergency services and local authorities at the site.

Airbus expresses its sympathy to the families and friends of the persons concerned.

Airbus will provide the full support to the official investigation authorities in France.

user posted image

user posted image

Don't know the details of this incident but it always amazes me how many people are willing to do high power runs while facing obstacles.

It's a tricky business... I'm not so sure these guys were facing the obstacle though... looks like the bird may have swung hard left all of a sudden like... I've seen that happen. ...a CF6 powered '67 during a vib survey turned hard right, pivoting on the right main.... 90 degrees in about a 10th of a second! I think both folks upstairs had whiplash!

We frequently get our birds up to take-off thrust while on the blast fence outside bays 10 and 11 here in YYZ.... facing the hangar... I try not to forget to ask someone to keep their eyes outside looking for movement, but you never know how much space/time you'll need until you're there I guess.... for extended high power runs, with engines bigger than the hair dryers on the baby busses, I prefer the run-up spots out on 33L

Mitch,

This is a bit ironic, and before anyone knew of this unfortunate incident.

I was in Yellowknife just this last week and a new, young FO on a Beech 200 asked me what to do when trying to do a run up on a slippery ramp and it wanted to suddenly bugger off on it's own with the brakes locked. I asked him if he could see if it might be pointed at something solid that might impede it's progress during the "slip away" and would he let the Captain know about it anyway.

His answer was a bit surprising - "Well that's up to the Captain and I don't think it's my place to say anything".

I immediately became really suspicious of his, either training from the Company, or his basic knowledge and/or ability to be trustworthy at handling any kind of Commercial Operations.

Unfortunately this was a casual conversation. I had no choice but to just walk away and hope that some grumpy old Captain might have his way with the young fellow. (I did have a bit of a chat about it with the Chief Pilot a bit later, mind you).

Things like the A-340 can happen anytime, but maybe a bit of good old CRM can help out. Crap happens to all of us at one time or another. Too bad a nice quad got really damaged this time.

Crikey Check Pilot, that tale stirs the uh oh receptors for a few reasons... but then, maybe the kid just wasn't sure how to tell you your idea sounded nuts to him?

...the story of the L1011 heading into the ground while all three occupants of the cockpit fiddled with a bulb comes to mind... the lesson becomes relevant during high power runs like this one.... if everyone's got their heads buried in the instruments, it could seriously hinder their ability to swiftly recognize relative movement. The airplane will be bucking, swaying and shaking anyway, so feeling the a/c move from position is not necessarily going to happen. Someone needs to keep his head up and eyes out.

SUBJECT: A340-600 - MSN 856 - ACCIDENT IN PRODUCTION OUR REF.: F-WWCJ AIT 2 DATED 20th OF NOVEMBER 2007 PREVIOUS REF: F-WWCJ AIT 1 DATED 16th OF NOVEMBER 2007

THIS AIT IS AN UPDATE OF PREVIOUS AIT N°1 CONCERNING THE A340-600 PRODUCTION AIRCRAFT MSN 856 INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT IN AIRBUS PRODUCTION FACILITIES IN TOULOUSE ON THE 15TH NOVEMBER 2007 AT 17:00 LOCAL TIME.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE SEQUENCE OF EVENTS ACCORDING TO THE RECORDERS, WHICH HAS BEEN APPROVED FOR RELEASE BY THE FRENCH INVESTIGATION AUTHORITIES (BEA).

FOR ABOUT 3 MINUTES BEFORE THE END OF THE EVENT, ALL FOUR ENGINES EPR WAS BETWEEN 1.24 AND 1.26 WITH PARKING BRAKE ON AND WITHOUT GROUND CHOCKS.

THE ALTERNATE BRAKE PRESSURE WAS NORMAL. (WITH PARKING BRAKE ON, BRAKE PRESSURE IS SUPPLIED BY ALTERNATE).

13 SECONDS BEFORE THE IMPACT THE AIRCRAFT STARTED TO MOVE. WITHIN 1 OR 2 SECONDS THE CREW APPLIED BRAKE PEDAL INPUTS AND SELECTED PARKING BRAKE OFF. THESE ACTIONS LED THE NORMAL BRAKE PRESSURE TO INCREASE TO ITS NORMAL VALUE.

2 SECONDS PRIOR BEFORE THE IMPACT, ALL 4 ENGINE THRUST LEVERS WERE SELECTED TO IDLE.

THE AIRCRAFT IMPACTED THE CONTAINMENT WALL AT A GROUND SPEED OF 30 KTS.

THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY AIRCRAFT SYSTEM OR ENGINE MALFUNCTION.

AIRBUS REMINDS ALL OPERATORS TO STRICTLY ADHERE TO AMM PROCEDURES WHEN PERFORMING ENGINE GROUND RUNS

ENGINE GROUND RUNS AT HIGH POWER ARE NORMALLY CONDUCTED ON A SINGLE ENGINE WITH THE ENGINE IN THE SAME POSITION ON THE OPPOSITE WING OPERATED AT A LIMITED THRUST SETTING TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE AIFRAME

WHEEL CHOCKS ARE TO BE INSTALLED THROUGHOUT THE TEST.

YANNICK MALINGE

VICE PRESIDENT FLIGHT SAFETY

AIRBUS

post-5-1195699770_thumb.jpg

...I'd still reeeeealy like to hear how they eventually shut the engines down?

Look at the photo closely Mitch. You see those two little red things close to the blast fence, on the ground?. You have to realize that this photo was taken after the incident and things had settled down.

My contact tells me those are the engine "plugs" for the right side and apparently an off-duty AME saw the incident, ran up to the engines, installed the plugs and suffocated the engines...they shut down for lack of air.

Apparently the AME will be getting the French version of the Aviation Cross !! The Airbus ndustry is blessed to have such dedicated AMEs...our guys could learn from them. wink.gif

I'm more than a little skeptical of that story Kip. Here's a closeup of the same picture. If those are engine plugs, then my name is Rumpelstiltskin. As the old saying goes, you can't put a square (plug) in a round hole. Besides, anyone walking up to the inlet of one of those babies, even at idle, is asking to be made into mincemeat.

(we don't need to do this Jeff... Kip's just having us on.)... I did some enlarging myself, and I reckon it may be a super spiffy set of chocks these fellers should have used... (if the statement from Airbus flight safety dept. is accurate)

Archived