Westjet transborder routes announced

CanadaEH

CALGARY, Alberta. June 16, 2004. WestJet today announced details of its low-fare transborder service between destinations in the United States and Canada beginning in September and October 2004. WestJet will offer new non-stop service between Calgary and Los Angeles, California; San Francisco, California; Phoenix, Arizona; Orlando, Florida; and Fort Lauderdale, Florida. WestJet will also offer non-stop service between Toronto and Los Angeles.

• Effective September 20, 2004, WestJet will offer daily non-stop flights between Calgary and Los Angeles with low introductory one-way fares of $72.

• Effective September 20, 2004, WestJet will offer daily non-stop service between Toronto and Los Angeles with low introductory one-way fares of $102.

• Effective October 4, 2004, WestJet will offer two non-stop flights per week between Calgary and San Francisco with low introductory one-way fares of $72.

• Effective October 5, 2004, WestJet will offer two non-stop flights per week between Calgary and Phoenix with low introductory one-way fares of $72.

• Effective October 6, 2004, WestJet will offer two non-stop flights per week between Calgary and Orlando with low introductory one-way fares of $102.

• Effective October 9, 2004, WestJet will offer one non-stop flight per week between Calgary and Fort Lauderdale with low introductory one-way fares of $102.

Introductory fares are available for sale until June 22, 2004 for travel between the launch of service and December 15, 2004. Connections to the U.S. destinations are available through Calgary and Toronto from most WestJet Canadian destinations.

Clive Beddoe, WestJet’s President, CEO and Executive Chairman, commented today: “We are extremely pleased to announce the addition of our newest WestJet cities – Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando. The announcement of our transborder schedule marks a significant accomplishment for our airline as we commence scheduled service to the United States for the first time.

“Since the launch of our airline in 1996 we are pleased to have flown over 30 million people on our coast-to-coast network. With today’s announcement we hope to provide even more Canadians with greater incentive to fly WestJet to our new U.S. sun destinations.”

Details of WestJet’s new transborder schedule and fares are available on www.westjet.com and flights can be booked today. A complete list of WestJet’s U.S. schedule is available in the accompanying U.S. Schedule Backgrounder.

WestJet will announce details of service to Palm Springs, California and additional sun destinations at a later date.

WestJet currently serves the 24 Canadian cities of Victoria, Comox, Vancouver, Abbotsford/Fraser Valley, Prince George, Kelowna, Grande Prairie, Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Thunder Bay, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Toronto, Ottawa, Montréal, Moncton, Halifax, Gander and St. John’s. The airline operates a growing fleet of 48 aircraft featuring 30 new Next-Generation Boeing 737-700 aircraft. Transborder service will commence in September and October 2004 to the cities of Los Angeles, San Francisco, Phoenix, Fort Lauderdale, and Orlando. WestJet is publicly traded on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol WJA.

- 30 -

Director, Public Relations and Communications

Telephone: (403) 444-2615

Facsimile: (403) 444-2261

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Route and Fares:

Between

And Non-Stop/Connecting

Service Introductory Fare (CDN$) Regular Fare (CDN$)

Toronto Los Angeles Non-Stop 102 142

Calgary Los Angeles Non-Stop 72 172

Edmonton Los Angeles Connecting 72 172

Kelowna Los Angeles Connecting 102 202

Regina Los Angeles Connecting 82 182

Vancouver Los Angeles Connecting 102 202

Winnipeg Los Angeles Connecting 82 182

Saskatoon Los Angeles Connecting 82 182

Abbotsford Los Angeles Connecting 102 202

Victoria Los Angeles Connecting 102 202

Thunder Bay Los Angeles Connecting 102 202

Ottawa Los Angeles Connecting 102 142

Montréal Los Angeles Connecting 102 142

Calgary Phoenix Non-Stop 72 202

Edmonton Phoenix Connecting 72 202

Kelowna Phoenix Connecting 102 232

Regina Phoenix Connecting 82 212

Vancouver Phoenix Connecting 102 232

Winnipeg Phoenix Connecting 82 212

Saskatoon Phoenix Connecting 82 212

Abbotsford Phoenix Connecting 102 232

Toronto Phoenix Connecting 102 232

Calgary San Francisco Non-Stop 72 142

Edmonton San Francisco Connecting 72 142

Kelowna San Francisco Connecting 102 172

Regina San Francisco Connecting 82 152

Vancouver San Francisco Connecting 102 172

Winnipeg San Francisco Connecting 82 152

Saskatoon San Francisco Connecting 82 152

Abbotsford San Francisco Connecting 102 172

Toronto San Francisco Connecting 102 172

Calgary

Orlando Non-Stop 102 242

Calgary Ft. Lauderdale Non-Stop 102 242

Guest rattler

Is this within the capacity of their fleet (as of Sept/Oct) or will they have to cut other routes to free up the metal.....

From the sked change sent out today it appears as though these are in addition to the flights we have at presen until our winter schedule is released. I have no idea how our schedule looks from October 31 onwards.

From the sked change sent out today it appears as though these are in addition to the flights we have at presen until our winter schedule is released. I have no idea how our schedule looks from October 31 onwards.

Few rumors to chuck out here:

Recent new hire classes have been told of potential plans for 24 aircraft next year. It all hinges on Boeing's valuation of the 200's/training capacity and the offset of making 200's RVSM compliant.

I'll assume for now this is timed well for the wind down of several summer routes. We now have YC direct HZ and YYT this summer, those routes alone take an entire aircraft away for a day.

On another note, I hear we are doing charters to Panama City too?? What the heck is down there?

Guest longarm

Lots of wise cracks from what on the surface appears to be down trodden AC'ers. The reality is though, this spells more grief for AC on what is only the beginning of the challenges coming their way on first the US market, and then perhaps on other routes. Perfect timing for WJ though. AC to emerge from CCAA in Sept. and all of a sudden, their numbers will be put to the test by what appears to be competitive fares on some of AC's lucrative routes. Does the CCAA protection happen in 2005 again? whistling.gif

You westjetters are hilarious. You guys can say anything that you want about AC, and its employees, but the second anyone from AC says anything about Westjet...well look out. Re-read the posts again, I think that they were both said in jest, what thinks you? Man, anyone would think that you were born with a Westjet tatoo on your arse. When Clive goes for a dump, do you go wipe it for him?

Lots of wise cracks from what on the surface appears to be down trodden AC'ers. The reality is though, this spells more grief for AC on what is only the beginning of the challenges coming their way on first the US market, and then perhaps on other routes. Perfect timing for WJ though. AC to emerge from CCAA in Sept. and all of a sudden, their numbers will be put to the test by what appears to be competitive fares on some of AC's lucrative routes. Does the CCAA protection happen in 2005 again? whistling.gif

I guess you haven't been looking at the monthly traffic numbers. Transborder traffic is weak, and if you look at Expedia.ca you will see a lot of desperation pricing by US carriers in particular. Calgary is a shrewd choice because WJ has big market strength there, and AC (if I recall) only flies once a day to SFO and LA (is it LAX?), so that is vulnerable. Toronto-LAX is not without competition already, and Jetsgo is already flying the route or will be flying it soon, so the party will be on. AC has the advantage of international feed (off SQ, UA and NZ in particular), multiple flights and red-eye returns (yes, that's a positive for a lot of people I know; I've used the red-eye from LAX and SFO myself to avoid an extra night's hotel). I'm a bit surprised at no Vancouver-LA, or Vancouver-SFO. Maybe it's the US carrier competition on those routes. As for Calgary-Florida, hey, why not? Why should Arizona and Hawaii get all of those sun-starved Albertans. A good move.

Guest skygodd

Not all that down trodden really - just seasoned in this crazy industry.

As for Clive's continuous expansion, the market responded by knocking down WJ's shares by 1.09% - meanwhile the TSE is up.

I could be wrong but the transborders are not as lucrative as they once where.

To dozerboy...I love your last post! By far the most creative and succint use of verbage I've ever read on this site. I agree...I think someone, somewhere said "Don't go to the light, but...they all went. Pity, I think that puts the Moonies in 2nd place. rolleyes.gif

Guest Hadrian

If it's Panama City, FL. There are beaches, lots of beaches and from what I'm told it good for scuba diving, and lot of tourist show up there, especially during springbreak. If you like water, sun, 100F/ 100% humidity Panama City is where it's at (and gators if you go inland).

Other then that, there is Tyndall AFB, which is the OCU for the F-15 and also the first F/A-22 training squadron. A friend of mine who joined up with the USAF is doing his F-15 course there right now.

Panama City, Panama. I don't there is a whole lot there.

It will be interesting to see if Alaska Airlines will try to fight WestJet on their YYC-LAX route or just abandon it.

Air Canada and Alaska Airlines regular one way fare on that route is about $380.

Wholesale on Alaska $132.50 one way, plus tax 1 day adavance. AC wholesale $155.00 one way.

cool26.gifcool26.gifcool26.gif

How much capacity does Alaska put into the channel?

How much does that price realistically become when someone walks out of the travel agency?

Retail is based on what published is, how much space is available at this wholesale rate. Usually we would do a $40-60 markup. and still undercut the published rate.

Pax saves money and we make money.

They have to fly somewhere because the lowcost model is broken. ( This is not the Southwest one for sure) Expand expand expand in Canada and ........costs go up.

There have been great airlines to work for in Canada until it seems 10 comes along and kids need university and divorces kick in and yes the greed factor appears within the labour group. Once the stock options stall and the cranking starts...now what.

I heard the other day that Westjet has already preplanned and has got payscales ready once the bonus/ stock option renumeration goes south. If so it will avoid the crankfest and show great leadership and thumb their noses at this post.smile.gif I hope so.

I wish Westjet and it's employees all the best and hope that the growth and happiness continues. Things are a bit cranky elsewhere at the moment.

The old Dork goes back into his bunker. ph34r.gif

How much channel capacity would Alaska provide now, relative to say the Family Day long weekend? How much does the wholesale price fluctuate?

If you mean seat numbers (channel capacity???) we can usually get up to 20 seats at the lead in price. of course not all seats are sold at the lowest wholesale rate, just like the range of published fares. As for your second part they would offer the same fare for long weekends, so the earlier you book the better chance of getting the lowest rate. The fluctuations vary by route and airline, the AC wholesale fares are usually higher than Alaska, so they sell out last. Right now the Alaska flight ex YYC stops in SEA for the summer, but returns to a non stop in the fall.

Guest rattler

Current market prices on Expedia for ow flights

http://www.expedia.ca/pub/agent.dll?tovr=2004032200&ps3u=

Sort by: Price Shortest flights Departure time Arrival time

C$303.67

6:50 am Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 10:41 am Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 4hr 51mn Alaska Airlines 698

1 stop

Choose this flight

C$307.06

7:15 am Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 11:54 am Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 5hr 39mn America West 6104 / 702

Connect in Phoenix (Sky Harbor Intl.)

Choose this flight

C$307.06

3:00 pm Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 9:00 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 7hr 0mn America West 6745 / 35

Connect in Phoenix (Sky Harbor Intl.)

Choose this flight

C$307.06

8:30 pm Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 1:00 am +1 day Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 5hr 30mn America West 6276 / 116

Connect in Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.)

Choose this flight

C$310.45

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 12:00 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 6hr 10mn Alaska Airlines 698 / 2247 / 292

Connect in Seattle (SEA), Portland (PDX)

Choose this flight

C$310.45

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 1:06 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 7hr 16mn Alaska Airlines 698 / 640 / 1706

Connect in Seattle (SEA), Las Vegas (McCarran Intl.)

Choose this flight

C$310.45

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 1:42 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 7hr 52mn Alaska Airlines 698 / 154 / 4519

Connect in Seattle (SEA), San Jose (SJC)

Choose this flight

C$310.45

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 2:18 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 8hr 28mn Alaska Airlines 698 / 376 / 1853

Connect in Seattle (SEA), San Francisco (SFO)

Choose this flight

C$318.95

12:20 pm Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 2:30 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 3hr 10mn United Airlines 8345

Nonstop flight

Choose this flight

C$318.95

12:20 pm Depart Calgary (YYC)

Arrive Los Angeles (LAX) 2:30 pm Tue 14-Sep

Duration: 3hr 10mn Air Canada 741

Nonstop flight