A Sad Day For Our SAR Techs

Moon The Loon

"Airman dies after Igloolik rescue effort

Sgt. Janick Gilbert was based in Trenton, Ont.

A Canadian Forces sergeant involved in an effort to rescue two boaters in stormy seas outside the Nunavut hamlet of Igloolik on Thursday has died.

Sgt. Janick Gilbert was a search and rescue (SAR) technician with 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron in Trenton, Ont.

Three people — Gilbert and two other search and rescue technicians — jumped into the Hecla Strait from a Hercules aircraft with a life-raft around 5 p.m. ET Thursday.

The boaters were transferred to the life-raft, and waited for about three hours until a Cormorant helicopter from Gander, N.L., arrived to pick everyone up.

"He lost his life in the service of the country while unselfishly answering the call for help," stated Lt.-Gen. André Deschamps, commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force in a press release."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/10/28/north-soldier-igloolik-death.html

These guys will go anywhere, anytime to save lives. Deepest sympathies and condolences to families of all SAR personnel, and Sgt. Gilbert's in particular.

Death of a Canadian Forces search and rescue technician during rescue mission

Oct. 28, 2011

A search and rescue technician from 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., died while participating in a rescue mission near Igloolik (Hall Bay), Nunavut, on the evening of Thursday, Oct. 27.

“On behalf of the Defence family and our brave men and women in uniform, I extend my deepest sympathies to the family, friends and comrades of Sergeant Janick Gilbert, who died yesterday in Nunavut.

“He lost his life in the service of his country while unselfishly answering the call for help,” said the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps.

Sergeant Janick Gilbert was a search and rescue technician with 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron.

“It is with deep sorrow that we learned about the death of Janick,” said 8 Wing Commander Colonel Sean Friday. “Janick will always be remembered as a respected family member of 8 Wing who was committed to helping people in need. At this most sorrowful time, our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his many friends.”

The search and rescue mission was a collaborative effort that included aircraft and crews from 17 Wing Winnipeg, Man., 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., 9 Wing Gander, N.L., and 14 Wing Greenwood, N.S. It was coordinated by the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Trenton. The mission itself resulted in the rescue of two local citizens.

The incident is currently under investigation.

For more information, please visit

Canadian Forces search and rescue website

http://www.canadacom.forces.gc.ca/sar-res/SAR-BG09001-eng.asp

8 Wing’s 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron’s website

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/8w-8e/sqns-escs/page-eng.asp?id=664

Air Force News

"Capt. Bolduc said after the three soldiers jumped in, all five waited three hours for a Cormorant helicopter to arrive from CFB Gander in Newfoundland and pick them up.

Sgt. Gilbert died before the chopper arrived, but how he died has not been released."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/cfb-trenton-soldier-dies-in-nunavut-rescue-mission/article2217324/

Traditionally, the response to criticisms like this will emanate from NDHQ on Laurier Street: "You WILL not go into the water under ANY circumstances until the Cormorant is on scene."

I am saddened even more by just thinking this of some of the mid-level leadership still present in our CAF.

Pure speculation ...but the word emanating from CFB is that the jump went "awry" for Gilbert......Clarification will no doubt be forthcoming in the days ahead... Sad to hear it happened.:( :(

But he jumped anyway. He shoulda jumped from a Buffalo at 65 knots rather than a Herc at 135 kts. Better still, it would have been better to go into the water out of the same Cormorant used for the recovery.

In a perfect world...

Media Advisory

Our Search and Rescue Technician Returns to CFB Trenton

October 28, 2011

OTTAWA – Our fallen comrade, Search and Rescue Technician Sergeant Janick Gilbert of 424 Transport and Rescue Squadron, will return to 8 Wing Trenton tomorrow from Nunavut.

Where: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.

When: Saturday, Oct 29, 2011, at 3 p.m.

What: At the request of the family, media will not be permitted on the tarmac.

The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, General Walt Natynczyk, Chief of the Defence Staff, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps, Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force and Brigadier-General Richard Foster, Chief of Staff for Canada Command plan to attend the ramp ceremony to pay their respects.

Sergeant Janick Gilbert lost his life while participating in a rescue mission near Igloolik (Hall Bay), Nunavut on the evening of Thursday, October 27.

-30-

Notes to editor / news director:

A photograph of Sergeant Janick Gilbert is available on the Fallen Canadians page of the Department of National Defence website. Please visit: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/fc-ncd/index-eng.asp

Please note: The typical transportation route down the Highway of Heros will be modified to take an easterly direction down highway 416 en route to Ottawa.

Contact information:

Interested media may contact Lt Chris Daniel, 8 Wing/CFB Trenton Public Affairs Officer, Tel: 613-392-2811 ext. 4565 or e-mail: christopher.daniel@forces.gc.ca

For general queries, please contact the Media Liaison Office at 1-866-377-0811 or 613-996-2353. For flight information, please contact the Air Passenger Terminal at 1-800-487-1186.

Rescued Inuit hunter tearfully recalls hero

November 1, 2011 - 5:16am By The Canadian Press

IGLOOLIK, Nunavut — A young Inuit hunter wept tears of gratitude and sorrow on Monday as he recalled how he and his father were plucked from ice-choked waters in a dramatic rescue that resulted in the death of a search-and-rescue airman.

"I keep crying," said Lester Aqqiaruq, who was resting at his home in the Arctic hamlet of Igloolik from where the two set out last week to go walrus-hunting.

"It was really awful," said Aqqiaruq, sobbing through his halting English. "I feel so sorry for the rescue team, really bad."

Sgt. Janick Gilbert, one of three search technicians who parachuted into the Arctic dark Thursday night, died during the rescue of Lester, 17, and his father David Aqqiaruq.

Lester said he and his father have hunted walrus in the area, about 90 minutes by boat from Igloolik, many times. Both are experienced on the land, and both survived a rescue about two years ago from the same spot, the Fury and Hecla Strait between Baffin Island and the Melville Peninsula.

"Since when I was really young I’ve been out with my dad," said Lester.

The two set out in good weather Wednesday morning and were soon successful, bringing down a walrus to take back to Igloolik to share with their family and the community.

But the weather deteriorated. The winds rose, temperatures fell and sea ice began to form.

"We tried to go home, but the ice was too thick and we couldn’t move. It was really a big surprise."

When they didn’t return Wednesday night, searchers set out from Igloolik. The Aqqiaruqs had registered their destination and had an electronic signal device with them, but nobody could find them in the moonless, snowy Arctic dark.

All night and into the next day, Lester and his father, who were in an open aluminum boat, were tossed on stormy seas in blizzard conditions that included 70-kilometre-an-hour winds. Their camp stove, the only source of heat, soon ran out of fuel.

"I was scared," said Lester. "I thought we were going to die."

Eventually rescue planes spotted them and tried to drop a phone, but the two couldn’t get to it. On Thursday morning, crews dropped a survival boat, but even though the Aqqiaruqs were able to reach it, that didn’t end their ordeal.

"There was a little food but we were really cold and we couldn’t really eat it," said Lester. "Our hands were cold. It was really hard to open (the packages)."

A stove in the survival boat got too wet to light. Their original boat slowly sank beneath the ice, taking all their gear with it.

By late afternoon, three search-and-rescue technicians parachuted down to try to save the father and son.

"I didn’t watch (the jump)," Lester said. "We were just there and waiting. It was all dark.

"I was really happy to see them. I said, "He saved my life.’"

About three hours later, a helicopter from Gander, Nfld., arrived, pinpointed the boat with its spotlight and hauled everyone to safety.

Lester didn’t know about Gilbert until he saw the unresponsive body of the airman on board the chopper.

"He wasn’t breathing at the helicopter."

The military said Gilbert was "unsuccessful" parachuting into the water. The RCMP indicated he was found non-responsive in the water. Military officials said Monday the death remains under investigation.

Later, at the hospital in Iqaluit, Lester learned his rescue had cost Gilbert’s life.

Lester has some frostbite to his back and feet. His father remained in hospital Monday, but Lester said he’ll be fine.

The two have lost all their gear and Lester doesn’t know when they’ll return to the land. He may never return to those walrus-hunting grounds. "I don’t know," he said. "It’s too early."

Article here in The Chronicle Herald...

Fallen SAR tech returns to Trenton

Nov. 1, 2011

By Joanna Calder

“Sergeant Janick Gilbert was a devoted husband, exceptional father, and a professional search and rescue technician.

“His laughter and joie de vive are only some of the many positive attributes that were so cherished by those who knew him.”

That is how Sgt Janick Gilbert was remembered by Col Sean Friday, commander of 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., on Friday.

Sgt Gilbert, a search and rescue technician from 424 Search and Rescue Squadron located at 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., died on Oct. 27, 2011 while participating in a search for two local citizens near Igloolik (Hall Bay), Nunavut.

The search and rescue mission included aircraft and crews from 17 Wing Winnipeg, Man., 8 Wing Trenton, Ont., 9 Wing Gander, N.L., and 14 Wing Greenwood, N.S.

The two residents of Hall Bay left home on a hunting trip on the morning of Wednesday, Oct. 26. Later that day, they activated a beacon indicating they were in trouble. The Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Trenton, Ont., received the information in the evening and, as a result, a CC-130 Hercules from 435 Squadron, located at 17 Wing Winnipeg, Man., was sent to the area.

A second Hercules from 424 Squadron was also launched on the morning of Thursday, Oct. 27.

Searchers located the two, who were stranded in an open boat, and dropped a radio to them.

The condition of one of the stranded residents was deteriorating and, when communications were lost, three SAR techs from 8 Wing parachuted from a CC-130 Hercules to assist.

A CH-149 Cormorant helicopter from 103 Squadron, 9 Wing Gander, N.L., arrived on scene and airlifted the two local citizens and the three SAR techs from the area and flew them to the medical centre in Igloolik for assessment and treatment. The citizens sustained only minor injuries.

“Janick perished during this rescue attempt,” explained Col Friday.

“He will be sorely missed by all within the SAR tech trade and by all those who have had the pleasure of making his acquaintance,” he continued.

His words were echoed by Sgt Gilbert’s friends and colleagues.

“Janick was a brilliant operator with years of experience,” said MWO Gilles Tremblay, who is also a SAR tech. “He impressed me with his dedication and strong work ethic. We will sorely miss him in the SAR community.”

On Saturday, Oct. 29, Sgt Gilbert’s remains returned from Nunavut to Trenton to family and friends. Joining the mourners were Defence Minister Peter MacKay; the Chief of the Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk; the Commander of the Royal Canadian Air Force, Lieutenant-General André Deschamps; and the Chief of Staff for Canada Command, Brigadier-General Richard Foster.

On the day that Sgt Gilbert returned to Trenton, some of his SAR tech colleagues were participating in SARScene, a national search and rescue conference, held this year in Winnipeg.

A previously scheduled parachute jump by two SAR techs went ahead as planned in the morning, but the jump was dedicated to Sgt Gilbert’s memory.

Lieutenant-Colonel Joel Roy, commanding officer of 424 Squadron, also offered his sympathy to Sgt Gilbert’s family and friends on Friday.

“He loved his family more than anything, and always radiated pride when he spoke of them. On behalf of all the 424 ‘Tigers’, I extend my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Sgt Gilbert. We are privileged to have known him and promise to honour his memory forever.”

Sgt Gilbert, 34, was from Baie Comeau, Que. and, according to Col Friday, had 13 years’ experience as a SAR tech. The exact circumstances of his death are being examined as a part of a Director of Flight Safety Investigation (FSI) that began on Oct. 28.

Sgt Gilbert’s funeral will be held at La Chapelle Ste-Jeanne D'Arc at Canadian Forces Base Valcatier, Que., on Nov. 5.

Air Force News...

• 1 month later...

Yes, pretty much the same story that has run in many papers...unfortunatel, in one paper that pompous ass Senator Kennedy stated that the "SAR resources in Canada should be located closer to where incidents are going to happen". WTF ???

I ran Halifax RCC for 4 years and everytime there was an incident some idiot came up with that statement. In the maritimes the main SAR incidents involved a boat at sea.

The Halifax Herald asked me, in a slow news period (pre-Christmas time), what I felt was the best way to ensure we didn't have one sea SAR incident in the following year. I suggested that "we could eliminate all sea SAR incidents if we sent up a well fueled and provisoned helicopter to follow every boat that went out to sea in our SAR area.......My answer never saw printers ink. :glare:

"What cost should society bear to provide this service, private or otherwise?"

Is that a road down which you really want to travel?

- choked on a piece of sausage and paramedics were called: should have chosen the lesser-risk path of eating baby food.

- t-boned in a car accident whilst perusing Christmas light displays and emergency response was required: should have chosen the lesser-risk path of staying home watching youtube videos.

- slipped and broke a hip walking out the front stairs on the frozen rain that fell last night, ambulance was called: should have chosen the lesser-risk path of staying inside.

- engine failed in flight, forced landed in a mountainous gorge, 442 does their thing: should have chosen the lesser-risk path of taking the bus.

- smoked in bed, fell asleep, apartment complex burned down and everyone was rescued by the fire department: should have quit the habit.

- rebuilt the brakes on my car myself, had to panic stop but still hit someone and paramedics were called: maybe my car should be tested to see if Midas had done the work the braking distance would have been lessened.

Getting the picture?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Flight Safety Investigation Report (FSIR) regarding the death of search and rescue technician Sergeant Janick Gilbert on October 27, 2011, is now available on the Air Force Directorate of Flight Safety website.

On October 26, 2011, the day before the occurrence, two men in a small open aluminum boat became stranded in an ice field approximately eight nautical miles southeast of Igloolik, Nunavut. A search and rescue (SAR) CC-130 Hercules aircraft from Trenton, Ontario, was dispatched to the area and, upon locating the men in a raft, a decision was made to parachute in three SARtechnicians to provide assistance before it became dark.

The first SAR technician landed in the water, swam to the raft and assisted the men. The second SAR technician landed in the water, was unable to swim to the raft and commenced his own survival procedures. Approximately four hours later, a CH-149 Cormorant helicopter hoisted the two SAR technicians and the two rescued men aboard, all unharmed. One hour later, the Cormorant crew located the unresponsive body of the SAR technician team leader, Sergeant Janick Gilbert. He was flown to the Igloolik airport and transported to the local health centre where, sadly, attempts to resuscitate him were unsuccessful.

The investigation focused on SAR technician personal life support equipment and the regulations governing rescue activities and has produced several recommendations for preventative measures, several of which have already been implemented with the aim of preventing similar occurrences in the future.

Full report:

http://www.rcaf-arc.forces.gc.ca/en/flight-safety/article-template-flight-safety.page?doc=sar-technician-a-cat-epilogue-flight-safety-investigation-report/hkz4ccca

Archived