Check The Size...... Please...

Kip Powick

I recently flew on four airlines…DELTA, WESTJET, AIR TRANSAT,and AIR CANADA.

I have one observation that I consider applicable to, probably, all airlines and that observation is working in many passengers’ favour, to the detriment of other passengers experience, and the airline companies bottom line.

It concerns carry on baggage.

I would venture to say that at least 50% of the “roll-aboard” suitcases are oversized and should have been checked baggage.

Naturally the passenger saves a minimum of $30.00 or perhaps more if they have other checked baggage, by slipping the roll-aboard suitcase by the gate agents, and during my recent travels I never saw one agent query  a passenger with an oversized bag.

Gate agents almost always  make a PA about the lack of space in the overhead bins and offer those that wish to check their roll-aboard at the gate may  do so……. at no charge.

I saw numerous cases where a passenger was attempting to put an over sized bag in the overhead bin and there was no way the bin would close. The bag had to be passed through about 20 passengers waiting to get to their seats, to a ground agent, and taken below…much to the chagrin of the waiting passengers and the bag owner.

An extreme case, out of YYC on WestJet, was a couple that had 3  roll-aboards, all oversized, plus each had a backpack and the lady had a large "purse" . Each backpack looked like it contained a 27 foot camping tent and a sleeping bag plus other sundries ….. the man’s was at least 4 feet long and 18 inches deep. To top it off I heard him say to his wife, partner,whatever,  “No matter what Zone they call, get to the head of the line quickly so we can get this stuff in bins”…and they did exactly that.

I remember many years ago, when heading south on Air Transat, there would be a Transat agent walking among the waiting folks and advising them that over sized bags had to be checked and at that time there was NO BAGGAGE FEES !!!

There are numerous chrome plated bag measuring cages at most gates but not once did I see anyone check their bag size, nor did I see any agent check a bag.

What is the solution ?? The only way I can see an answer would be to have the measuring cages available prior to TSA, with a supervisor, and if “ it doesn’t fit” , the passenger has to check it with their carrier.

And we know that will never happen…....rant over 😅

I have seen AC following both of your suggestions lately - intercepting and checking the bags with a sizing unit prior to screening and again at the gate to catch those who slipped through.

I agree Kip but I think that part of the problem is that with all the hews coverage concerning lost bags people are afraid they'll never see their bags for a week or two, or possibly not ever again.

On my last two AC departures out of YVR, the staff in the check-in area were being quite diligent in screening for (and pulling) oversized carry on bags. 

2 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

What is the solution ?? The only way I can see an answer would be to have the measuring cages available prior to TSA, with a supervisor, and if “ it doesn’t fit” , the passenger has to check it with their carrier.

This has been suggested before but the airlines don't all share a common acceptable size for carry-on bags and personal items. 

2 hours ago, Innuendo said:

Just saw an article in some site called Narcity, (sorry can't seem to get a link), saying that AC are recently enforcing carry on sizes at YYZ quite seriously.

Fine by me. 

Yes and the other thing they do is make multiple PA calls in the boarding lounge encouraging people to turn over their bags to be tagged and placed in the belly at no cost.  Personally, I've always thought this was a bad idea - to charge the people who check baggage outside security and then give the same service to people at the gate for free but it does usually result in many people taking advantage.

What I'd like to see is anyone who has a bag at the gate that doesn't fit the sizer to be charged for the bag and anyone who voluntarily gate checks a "legal" size bag gets it for free.  Of course this would lead to turmoil but it does bother me that some people will sneak an oversized bag through security and then get a freeride.

How about a major carrier think outside the box and just not charge at all for checked baggage. Like two free checked bags per passenger? The argument used to be "well the extra weight in the cargo compartment from the checked baggage causes more fuel burn" but under current policy the same weight is being carried its just in the overhead bins. Airlines are taking a hit on on time performance under the current pay for checked baggage policy because everyone nis triyng to cram oversized bags into the overhead bins and its not fitting so then they have to take the bags out of the cabin and put them into the cargo hold resulting in delays

• Like 1

In YUL, AC  was not checking bags prior to my flight  Perhaps YYZ is doing a test run to see what happens re- gas, $$, passenger comments etc. 

WESTJET did not do in YYC nor did AC IN KELOWNA and YUL and AIR TRANSAT did not do it in YVR. 

AC's launched similar 'get tough on carry-on' campaigns in the past only to have them fade away due heavy pushback from CS agents who have to enforce it. Expect Unifor will let their concerns be known (again).

'Mandatory' for boarding carry-on tag circa 2014

appr_bag_tag.png.01bd1a281dde0987691294b94d1737bf.png

'Air Canada service agents call carry-on crackdown too unpleasant'

5 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

If you are going to charge for checked baggage, you are encouraging people to avoid it;

I wonder if the airlines have actually seen a reduction in the amount of baggage that gets loaded in the hold vs. the days when checked bags were "free". If so, how much have they saved in baggage handling costs as a result?

3 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I am not useing FLAIR as the gold standard but  here is what they do....ONE carry-on item that must fit under the seat ahead of you is FREE...You are charged for all other baggage ....and it is not cheap..🥴

Used them once. Paid extra to bring a bag in the cabin and get priority boarding. When it came time to board, no priority boarding call was made so everyone just piled in, and just about everyone had a carry on bag that went overhead. Asked a few people if they paid for it and they said they never do because they don't check at the gate. Still waiting for a refund, but not holding my breath.