The old grey mare (the prime ministerial A310) is a little banged up

dagger

37 minutes ago, Marshall said:

One report (Ottawa Citizen)  says the accident happened while the aircraft was being towed by contracted maintenance personnel.  If so I wonder who pays, insurance claim?  

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/vip-aircraft-used-for-prime-minister-damaged-out-of-service-until-august-2020

On Oct. 19, 2019 while being towed into a hangar at 8 Wing Trenton by contracted maintenance personnel,

When DND got the A-310, I believe they contracted ex WD personnel to do all the maintenance vs having to train DND personnel

1 hour ago, Kip Powick said:

When DND got the A-310, I believe they contracted ex WD personnel to do all the maintenance vs having to train DND personnel

thanks Kip but I guess it could be interesting  if the contractors are contracted from a firm or just under individual contracts to the DND.  I  see that the facility was built in consultation with a very well known outfit.  ?  http://www.bird.ca/Projects/project-8_wing_maintenance_hangar_no1.html

image.png.eaeebb4906d2c657b500c7867c205f78.png

In my airline days we had a couple of damage incidents during pushback. The handling company’s insurance was responsible for the direct costs, our own insurance took care of the indirect costs (replacement aircraft, etc.).

3 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

The contract went to CP after the buyout of Wardair but I think that the link was broken when Air Canada bought CP.  (I am probably wrong on the last bit though).

4 hours ago, Marshall said:

One report (Ottawa Citizen)  says the accident happened while the aircraft was being towed by contracted maintenance personnel.  If so I wonder who pays, insurance claim?  

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/national/defence-watch/vip-aircraft-used-for-prime-minister-damaged-out-of-service-until-august-2020

On Oct. 19, 2019 while being towed into a hangar at 8 Wing Trenton by contracted maintenance personnel,

That would be L-3.

59 minutes ago, Fido said:

The contract went to CP after the buyout of Wardair but I think that the link was broken when Air Canada bought CP.  (I am probably wrong on the last bit though).

You are probably correct but CP had no one qualified as far as maintenance went on the A310 so many of the fellows that were WD and transferred to CP  but wanted to stay on the A310 ended up here in YTR. I understand that many chose that direction, not only for the $ but also for the less melodramatic family  lifestyle here rather than in the "big" city.5184.gif

I believe that eventually  the  maintenance  fellows opted out of the airline industry, (maybe when CP went AC),  but they decided to stay here on the A310.

August 2020?????  Any airline in service today would have that plane back in the air in 6-8 weeks tops.

The Maintenance is contracted to L-3.  I know several guys who recently went up there to join the program.

That impact is aft of and including the forward pressure bulkhead.  That is a main structural component.

Was the Polaris damage that bad?

Engine Change can be done in 8 hours.  16 for an inexperience crew.  That includes the nose cowl.  So the engine damage is moot to the timeline.

if the front end damage goes beyond the radome and into the forward bulkhead then sure time lines will increase.   I have been involved in  a forward pressure bulkhead replacement albeit on a smaller airframe which was measured in days not weeks.

I have seen repairs done in the field in days that would surprise you.  Back in my AC days we had a 747 which was hit by a catering truck just aft of the bulk cargo door.  The hole was 8 feet by 10 feet.  Once the Boeing team arrived The had it repaired in 12 days.

On 12/3/2019 at 5:23 PM, anonymous said:

I wonder if this is the airframe that jumped the chocks in YVR many years ago when CAI AMEs were responsible for maintenance after DND purchased them ... the ground crew were doing some trouble shooting during an engine run...they pulled some CBs and the engines transitioned from ground idle to flight idle, jumped the chocks and hit some buildings and did some damage....

No that was 15005 in 1995.  It ended up being ferried to France by an Airbus crew for repairs.

Archived