Westjet Go Around SXM

Johnboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this even qualify as a reportable incident?  The decended below the glide path, recognized the issue and executed a go around.  Incident or airmanship?

20 minutes ago, boestar said:

Does this even qualify as a reportable incident?  The decended below the glide path, recognized the issue and executed a go around.  Incident or airmanship?

I guess it is, at least based on this:http://www.emsa.europa.eu/retro/Docs/marine_casualties/annex_13.pdf Annex 13 To the Convention on International Civil Aviation  Aircraft Accident and  Incident Investigation 

Incident. An occurrence, other than an accident, associated with the operation of an aircraft which affects or could affect the 
safety of operation. 

Note.— The types of incidents which are of main interest to the International Civil Aviation Organization for accident prevention studies are listed in the Accident/Incident Reporting Manual (Doc 9156). 

I am still not convinced it fits.  How often has someone decended below the glide path only to realize it and either correct it early or go around.  I see go arounds all the time out my window at work for who knows what reasons.  i have also seen what look to be unstable approaches continued to a somewhat decent landing.  Do they qualify as incidents?

My half-ass attempt from a video screen shot taken during first approach.  My only comment on this "incident" is how was it reported and handled at Westjet (under SMS guidelines) and was a discussion made about procuring the DFDR and DCVR data prior to departure SXM?  According to the Westjet press release and the CADORS filling this was nothing more than a GA.  Nothing to see hear ....move on!

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/cadors-screaq/rd.aspx?occdtefrom%3d2017-03-07%26occdteto%3d2017-03-08%26srchfldcd%3d4%26txt%3dWESTJET%26srchtype%3d1%26rt%3dWS%26hypl%3dy%26cnum%3d2017H0051

Screen Shot 2017-03-22 at 7.25.25 AM.png

20 hours ago, boestar said:

It would depend on why the airplane got to this place to begin with, not the go-around itself.  If there were difficulties in aircraft control due to a system malfunction of any type, that would classify as a TSB reportable incident.  That's not likely the case here.  However I'm sure that WJ has their own list "company reportable incidents", and I'd be surprised if a go-around isn't one of the many items (as it is at our company).  

18 hours ago, Homerun said:

It looks to me like they were slow as well as low.  Compare the deck angle between approaches #1 and 2.  Does the NG have similar auto-throttle logic to the 777?

I believe that's a "negative".

Did slow become low?

Getting a 'little' low on an approach path does not on its own make for a mandatory report, but this aircraft was in a very precarious position, likely because of some sort of pilot screw-up.

Imo, the video strongly suggests the incident is due in part to a temporary loss of control. Considering the location of the event on the final approach path, it's difficult to appreciate the rationale that says a full TC / TSB investigation shouldn't be undertaken.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived