Westjet Go Around SXM

Johnboy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I along with many others here I have been into SXM numerous times in both Boeing & Airbus equipment. A busy island airport usually overloaded with aircraft on the ground and approach. Other than a slight runway slope/elevation change at the touchdown point on 09, I've never heard of anyone having issues with this approach. The photo shows the WS 737 to be lower than the normal flight path. Did they have some kind of VNAV problem?

Just from memory (so take it for what it's worth), the MAP is a few miles back from the runway and VNAV is useless as the aircraft reverts to a lower level of automation. This does catch some by surprise, but it's a non-issue if you plan for it.

24 minutes ago, Jumpy said:

This is a "real" picture of the initial go-around. Atltitude would be where I would expect and much higher than the photoshopped photo. 

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6WrQZfXEAExXtL?format=jpg&name=large

Another angle....

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C6VxSfgUYAA5p1A?format=jpg&name=large

With respect....you have stated that the photo in the first thread was photo shopped, and if it has been........, where is the proof.

The initial article had a passenger concerned about the height above water before the go around.

The photos you have posted, (via links), have been taken nowhere near where the original photos were taken

I think you may be trying to defend the undefendable and as I stated in this thread......"words against words",  and there is no actual proof of the aircrafts altitude ((unless there is some DFR data hidden somewhere:biggrin:) or the guys that were flying the machine dispute the article/photo and the passengers comments.

22 minutes ago, toga said:

Look like a normal go around to me. 

The lowest altitude I see is about 500 feet, very conservative.

If you are referring to the photo in the original article, your perception of 500 feet ASL is certainly different from mine..:huh:

44 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

With respect....you have stated that the photo in the first thread was photo shopped, and if it has been........, where is the proof.

The initial article had a passenger concerned about the height above water before the go around.

The photos you have posted, (via links), have been taken nowhere near where the original photos were taken

I think you may be trying to defend the undefendable and as I stated in this thread......"words against words",  and there is no actual proof of the aircrafts altitude ((unless there is some DFR data hidden somewhere:biggrin:) or the guys that were flying the machine dispute the article/photo and the passengers comments.

I would say two photos showing height at a particular location which coincide with publicly available flight data beat a suspect photo showing wake on the water and a passenger's account. 

Telephoto compression

7 hours ago, Johnboy said:

Not much to glean from the article but interesting pic of the go-around and some serious wake on the water...

I guess the angle the shot is taken from and my firm belief that everything is suspect (see Photoshop™)

http://christinenegroni.com/westjet-denies-close-call-caught-camera-st-maarten/

I would suggest that those that have not, go to the original post and then read ALL the comments below the article, including those from some folks that are adamant that there was no Photoshop, plus a fellow who has watched approaches to the island  for many years and the photographers NOK and her resume..

Interesting discussion with many WJers defending their airline....... that nothing was amiss.(I know many of the names)

Will the discussion ever end with a consensus of opinion ?...I highly doubt it.:biggrin:

I am outta hereB);)

41 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

I would suggest that those that have not, go to the original post and then read ALL the comments below the article, including those from some folks that are adamant that there was no Photoshop, plus a fellow who has watched approaches to the island  for many years and the photographers NOK and her resume..

Interesting discussion with many WJers defending their airline....... that nothing was amiss.(I know many of the names)

Will the discussion ever end with a consensus of opinion ?...I highly doubt it.:biggrin:

I am outta hereB);)

Reminds me a lot re former Wardair  folks defending their airline.  The Airline that PWA Corp purchased which then allowed AC to buy Canadian Airlines.     Go figure. :D

3 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Reminds me a lot re former Wardair  folks defending their airline.  The Airline that PWA Corp purchased which then allowed AC to buy Canadian Airlines.     Go figure. :D

Well I said I was "outta here" but.....<_<........ Malcolm......Your statement has nothing to do with the question the initial post sublimely posed and that is.......was the WJ aircraft flying too low on the approach?

Those that are defending their company, WJ in this instance, bares absolutely no similarity to the purchase/merger of the airlines you named and their defense/opposition to the "forthcoming" acquisitions.

The chatter here is about a "possible" tilt of operational flight safety during an approach....and since I have no proven data/facts to make a definitive judgement on the entire issue, I leave my personal opinion out..

Nice weekend all :mellow:

2 hours ago, Airband said:

Zero feet might be too late. :) 

WS has RNAV approach approval for many southern destinations such as SXM. I'm sure this was flown using the same method but it appears vertical path control was an issue. 

12 hours ago, toga said:

Look like a normal go around to me. 

The lowest altitude I see is about 500 feet, very conservative.

IMG_3148.thumb.PNG.7364b164144c0cf6adf0f38f64ba09c1.PNG

IMG_3146.thumb.PNG.649f2a910d1378787ec04fcd6b3f8358.PNG

IMG_3147.thumb.PNG.62b593a61468e0de784c660823da1623.PNG

Don't know what happened on this particular flight but I do know 100% that flightaware is not a reliable source of detailed information.  I know this because I have compared it to flights I did personally and the info displayed on the website was not correct.   They capture the track, distances, speed, etc at something like a 1 minute intervals and their software will average the data or interpolate.  It will show stuff like cruising altitude correctly but when the state of the aircraft is changing all you get are snapshots which are not that detailed.

12 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Well I said I was "outta here" but.....<_<........ Malcolm......Your statement has nothing to do with the question the initial post sublimely posed and that is.......was the WJ aircraft flying too low on the approach?

Those that are defending their company, WJ in this instance, bares absolutely no similarity to the purchase/merger of the airlines you named and their defense/opposition to the "forthcoming" acquisitions.

The chatter here is about a "possible" tilt of operational flight safety during an approach....and since I have no proven data/facts to make a definitive judgement on the entire issue, I leave my personal opinion out..

Nice weekend all :mellow:

Kip: my point was intended to compare how both groups (WestJet and former Wardair) because of their unbridled loyalty had/have somewhat of a blind eye when it came / comes to their airlines deficiencies. 

Archived