Cirrus Ditches In Pacific Ocean

blues deville

An interesting approach to ditching, or a crash landing for that matter. The outcome would have been considerably worse had a conventional ditching been attempted. Does anyone know how much this sort of device takes away from useful load? Is it an accessory one can remove if you for instance were undertaking a day VFR flight along the TC highway in Saskatchewan?

Can these things not be crated like a Cessna can?

You would think so but I expect the cost of breakdown and shipping compared to hourly cost airborne would be considerable.

Although not in this particular case !!

In fairness, it seems that he could not get the fuel from some kind of aux tank that should have let him make destination.

The Cirrus is a composite construction aircraft so Crating may not be an option. The BRS (Parachute) is standard equipment on the aircraft and it is certified with the chute installed. Useful load is calculated above and beyond that. Great aircraft and great video.

Too bad the chute didnt collaps on touchdown. Plane would likely have remained upright and afloat longer.

I suppose its original intention was to safely put you on dry ground. Landing in the ocean would be a rare event for this single engine plane. I think the old NASA capsules used to detach their chutes on touchdown.

My son flew one of these with a US Cirrus sales rep. Said it was amazing, flat screen displays, incredible audio system. The sales rep had music playing when ATC or anyone else wasn't transmitting.

You would think so but I expect the cost of breakdown and shipping compared to hourly cost airborne would be considerable.

Although not in this particular case !!

In fairness, it seems that he could not get the fuel from some kind of aux tank that should have let him make destination.

One of my freinds just ferried a couple Meridians to Europe, the cost of the insurance was considerable.

Archived