Rouge Inflight Entertainment System

blues deville

I was trying to use the onbiard wifi and the aircanada app. I could connect to the wifi and get the various entertainment options however no movies or TV shows would load. From what I could see others had the same problem. One FA tried helping another pax to no avail.

According to a few Canadian traveler websites, the seat pitch and inflight entertainment seem to be a common complaint on rouge flights. Some of these are as recent as last week. I'm hoping we have a good experience next month on our first rouge flight.

C3 had a 29-31" seat pitch on their aircraft and received a fair share of complaints, usually from experienced flyers but those customers came back year after year.

On our upcoming trip, I have purchased an upgrade to rouge plus but even those seats are getting poor reviews. AC rouge says they are a 35" seat pitch so I'm not sure what kind of problem people are having on these flights.

Guest rozar s'macco

I think the main problem is people are still not fully up to speed on the reality that the ACrouge is not Air Canada.

I think the main problem is people are still not fully up to speed on the reality that the ACrouge is not Air Canada.

I think you may be correct but there is no excuse for poor cabin service. That's their opportunity to really turn around a passenger's experience but it doesn't sound like these young people working for rouge have received that level of training.

If they aren't up to speed with it when they buy their tickets, they sure are by the time they complete their journey.

For what they're worth, reviews on Skytrax, Facebook and varous other websites are overwhelmingly negative. They're actually 100% negative on IFE and cabin comfort (or lack of it), and are almost 100% negative on the FAs and the service they provide. AC mainline and all other carriers get their share of bad reviews too, but Rouge really does seem to have a problem.

Or does it? Is there any feeling among the head honchos at AC/AC Rouge that things on the customer service front at Rouge aren't going so well, or is that not considered important as long as the flights are full?

As per a previous comment I have been on 2 Rouge flights in business class and have found the service to be excellent, the flight attendants to be very attentive. I do agree that most people post only negative comments but that is predicated on their view of the world which I suggest concentrates on the negative. I attended a cocktail party a few years ago at an Ottawa hospital where I heard doctors and their wives say that they complain to every hotel, restaurant, airline they did business with on a holiday just to see if they could get something free. Pretty sad state of affairs.

Guest rozar s'macco

The cabin/IFE stuff doesn't surprise me. People are now truly getting what they pay for and nothing more.

The service complaints do though because my experience with the crews is that they are very keen and motivated and friendly. So it would surprise me if the complaints were execution-based (ie. attitude). It would not surprise me if the complaints were standards-based, however. And that speaks to the rouge/ AC customer expectation gap that likely still exists.

But if the standard that has been developed for service is poor, even excellent execution cannot make up for it. All the Disney training in the world can't make up for poor standards.

The cabin/IFE stuff doesn't surprise me. People are now truly getting what they pay for and nothing more.

The service complaints do though because my experience with the crews is that they are very keen and motivated and friendly.

The Rouge FAs I have met have come across the same way to me--pleasant, friendly, energetic--so the near-100% negative reviews surprise me too. Nonetheless, some of the stuff in the reviews is truly shocking.

As for the cabin/IFE stuff, many seem to come away with the impression that they have paid more (thinking that they'd get AC standard cabins/IFE) to fly on Rouge than they'd have paid elsewhere, but have gotten less for it.

I also wonder to what extent recent economic happenings will affect the Rouge experiment. A low CAD$ might increase inbound travel from Rouge's European cities, but could be bad for the 319 destinations. It isn't as if our lower dollar will bring about a surge in tourism to Canada from VRA or POP. Having separate mainline/Rouge fleets makes it less easy to shift capacity between leisure and other destinations.

The Rouge FAs I have met have come across the same way to me--pleasant, friendly, energetic--so the near-100% negative reviews surprise me too. Nonetheless, some of the stuff in the reviews is truly shocking.

As for the cabin/IFE stuff, many seem to come away with the impression that they have paid more (thinking that they'd get AC standard cabins/IFE) to fly on Rouge than they'd have paid elsewhere, but have gotten less for it.

I also wonder to what extent recent economic happenings will affect the Rouge experiment. A low CAD$ might increase inbound travel from Rouge's European cities, but could be bad for the 319 destinations. It isn't as if our lower dollar will bring about a surge in tourism to Canada from VRA or POP. Having separate mainline/Rouge fleets makes it less easy to shift capacity between leisure and other destinations.

A friend of mine (AC Super Elite 100k) recently travelled on AC Rouge YYZ-MCO and his observations were summarized as follows:

- F/A were friendly at first but very inexperienced. Most of the service errors were due to lack of knowledge from the F/As. While the F/As have lots of great customer service skills, the prickly aspects of the job perplex them to no end. For example: having to reseat a family on a full flight. Maintaining an open middle seat for Rouge premium where the aisle person wants their spouse to sit in the empty middle. All other types of perplexing customer situations and the current Disney training does not handle.

- Again FA inexperience leaves them without adequate routine (and knowledge to adhere to the routine) for galley service. For example the ovens take a while to heat up as does hot water for tea/coffee. If the galley FA doesn't do their part right after take off the whole flight is behind schedule and service standard noncompliant. In a standard AC mainline flight the in-charge has the experience to know when to keep on top of the new crew member and get them to do things in the right order. But the most senior Rouge FA has 9 months service, not enough stick time to gain appropriate level of knowledge.

In time the inexperience issues will sort themselves out.

As to the frequent traveler issues (e.g. AC Altitude members), most of the issues relate to how the frequent traveler vacations, more appropriately prior to Rouge the frequent traveler could get and easy upgrade to business class for a very cheap price, when the route transfers to Rouge this option get lost. For example the AC E50k Elite flyer does YYC-YYZ and YYC-YVR for business, then does a vacation on YYC-LAS for $99 base price and is near guaranteed upgrade to Business Class. When the route transfers over to Rouge the gravy train ends.

I also heard from my SE100k friend that IFE issues perplex and anger the FAs. This is partially due to a generational thing and lack of expectation setting on the part of AC Rouge management. For example the FAs did not expect to have to train people on basic iPad and Tablet functionality, but the older generation frequently gets easily agitated at the new technology and assumes the company will provide basic training. Apple stores and their free training sessions don't help with this expectation. The FAs get flustered because their customer service training does not include basic tablet schooling but that the customers expectation is the FA can resolve the system issues. I say this is a generational thing because my 3 year old teaches me iPad tricks. The younger the person the more apt they are at changing to the new mobile computing paradigm.

One option to fix the IFE issues would be to configure the IFE onboard servers to load the required AC app on initial connection. However this would require subject matter expert training for the FAs to go through all numbers of tablet configuration options. For example, how to reset the iPad to allow for in-app purchases to allow the IFE server to load the required application files.

If the above post is accurate, it appears AC expected Disney to wave a magic wand and create experienced FA's to handle all of these old and new cabin/passenger problems. I would imagine the current group of Rouge in-charge FA's have some previous airline or customer service experience but perhaps not all.

What is the feeling amongst mainline AC employees when it comes to Rouge? Is this division seen as the good thing or perhaps something else?

If the above post is accurate, it appears AC expected Disney to wave a magic wand and create experienced FA's to handle all of these old and new cabin/passenger problems. I would imagine the current group of Rouge in-charge FA's have some previous airline or customer service experience but perhaps not all.

What is the feeling amongst mainline AC employees when it comes to Rouge? Is this division seen as the good thing or perhaps something else?

There is no substitute for experience and most Rouge FA's have none. Possibly could be remedied by using In-charge from the mainline system, albeit at least temporarily.

Archived