Who Is This ?(Saturday Trivia)

Kip Powick

131016081831-record-setting-ultra-longha

Answer below

In 2005, Boeing set the world distance record for a nonstop commercial airline flight. Its twin-engine 777-200LR Worldliner flew 13,423 miles from Hong Kong eastbound to London in 22 hours, 22 minutes. The plane took an unusually long route by turning toward Midway Island in the Pacific, then cruising over Los Angeles, New York, the Atlantic and finally to London's Heathrow Airport.

The flight's record-setting captain, Suzanna Darcy-Henneman, said the aircraft performed perfectly. The flight was so long that passengers enjoyed two sunrises along the way. "Most of us got into the flight deck to try to see the sunrise at some point during the flight," she told Boeing. "They were both gorgeous."

This is driving me nuts! I found a few more photos of the flight deck of N6066Z and they weren't quite sharp enough to see the writing on the box, but it does look like a timer. The photos I found with the mystery box, or as I call it now the "boit diabolique", were all prior to FAA certification. Mr. Deville is onto something regarding flight testing. You can see the "experimental" placard in this photo

http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6456019&nseq=5

When aircraft are in flight test there is all manner of strange stuff on board. When I work Bombardier flight test we had access to screens on the EICAS the most pilots would never see. And the data was awesome.

Archived