Porter Pilots Try To Form Union

Timothy

Maybe that is what awaits the Westjet regional if they pay 80% of median wage.

At some point "low cost" becomes "low wage" and the branding isn't so prestigious anymore.

Throw in a nice profit sharing plan and nobody will complain

Throw in a nice profit sharing plan and nobody will complain

The WJ pilots earn a great wage. Profit sharing complements that already good wage.

Somehow I do not think that will be the case at the regional. I read that WJ lite was aiming for 80% of regional median salary. That is quite different then the 95% of average salary they aimed for with the original carrier. The WJ strategy seems to be making lower salaries their main advantages. The race to the bottom will just keep going and going.

I do not have the numbers for median salary in the regional world. Here are some guesstimates. If the number resides at approx 90K (close to Calm Air, Creebec and Air Inuit similar equipment top salary), simple math brings us to 72k. In order to catch up to the competitors, the regional would have to pay 18k in profit sharing per year...

Profit sharing can not be taken to the bank to justify the mortgage you need to get a house.

One thing that Deluce has always been good at is motivating pilots to unionise.

With new companies, the honeymoon never lasts. Even WJ pilot wage progression has been almost exponential in order to meet expectations (and avoid complicated alternatives). When you are gong to spend 7+ years as an FO, there had better be some livable wages made available or union cards get signed.

Problem at Porter is that there is no money being made at the airline division. Lisa Raitt won't be stepping in to save Porter from any internal labour squabbles. CYTZ is hardly integral to the health of the Canadian economy.

Add to this the fact that there may be an impending exodus from Porter to WJR and the future of Porter looks bleak. Training bond operators are by their very nature short term career propositions. Porters value drops with each passing day.

Archived