Another Brick in the Wall

Kip Powick

Seeing this forum is not a radio station....I guess this posting is OKwhistling.gif

13 January 2011

OTTAWA-The 1980s song "Money for Nothing" by the British rock band Dire Straits has been deemed unacceptable for play on Canadian radio.

In a ruling released Wednesday, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council says the song contravenes the human rights clauses of the Canadian Association of Broadcasters' Code of Ethics and Equitable Portrayal Code.

A listener to radio station CHOZ-FM in St. John's, N.L., complained last year that the song includes the word "faggot" in its lyrics and is discriminatory to gays.

The broadcaster argued that the song had been played countless times since its release decades ago and has won music industry awards.

A CBSC panel concluded that the word "faggot," even if once acceptable, has evolved to become unacceptable in most circumstances.

The panel noted that "Money for Nothing" would be acceptable for broadcast if suitably edited

laugh.gifI guess this panel has never listened to Pink Floyd , Alanis Morrisette etc, etc,

Well isn't that interesting. Just the other day we were driving in the car when that song played on the radio. I said to my wife that I was surprised that someone hadn't tried to have it banned for the use of that word. But I agree that the use of some other words doesn't seem to get the same attention. I've heard the "n" word used in a rap song on the radio. I wonder when someone will try to have "The Joker" banned for glorifying illicit drug use.

Welcome to the sociist republic of Canada. Where the government has the right to determine what you do or say. You know it just keeps geting stupider and stupider (That even a word?). If you don't like it dont listen.

Pretty soon we'll be burning books again.

[/quote

....or giving the police the right to be the sole accuser, witness, judge and jury, with no recourse.

Oops. It's already happened in BC in 2010....and in occupied Europe 1939-1945.

:shhh:

Here is an email I fired to the three top dogs of the CBSC -

Hey I pay there wages so what the heck....

Dear Honorable Members of the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council.

I write to you in desperation of an issue that plagues Canada and the youth of today.

Recently I read your decision regarding a Dire Straits song; Referenced Below.

Atlantic regional Panel

CHOZ-FM re the song “Money for Nothing” by Dire Straits

(CBSC Decision 09/10-0818)

Decided October 14, 2010

G. Phelan (Chair), B. A. Jones (Vice-Chair), K. Hicks, B. MacEachern,

R. McKeen, R. Morrison

I would like to applaud the forward and progressive thinking of your governing body in its ingenious resolution to such a offensive occurrence against the fine people of Atlantic Canada.

I would however at the same time like to bring your attention to a grave and pardon the pun, Dire situation that our national broadcasters including the CBC fail to address.

On a daily basis our children are subjected to the offensive lyrics of a TV classic.

Its Jurassic thinking and stone age mentality simply is not inline with the foundations of political correctness that the proud people of Canada have become so accustomed to enjoying.

I bring this to your attention not lightly

I find it quite frankly offensive that our children; who otherwise bestowed by the Government of Canada, and by the nature of our democratic ways, should be told and I quote to...

"have a GAY ol time"

These lyrics sadly appear daily in the Hanna Barbabra theme song for the Flintstones. (see copy below)

I assert to you the CBSC that this offensive and directional language be edited by all broadcasters. I believe as you have so clearly defended in the previous case mentioned ...

"Recognizing that every person has the right to full and equal recognition and to enjoy certain fundamental rights and freedoms"

CBSC Decision 09/10-0818

And secondly,

"Broadcasters shall avoid the airing of degrading material, whether reflected in words, sounds, images or by other means, which is based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation."

CBSC Decision 09/10-0818

Instructing our children to have a "GAY ol time" is indeed robbing them of their fundamental choice of sexual orientation.

Your further state in your decision...

"Broadcasters shall remain vigilant with respect to the evolving appropriateness or inappropriateness of particular words and phrases, keeping in mind prevailing community standards."

CBSC Decision 09/10-0818

Therefore Based on the findings of case 09/10-0818 I submit that you must now address the issue of this freedom restricting and persuasive lyric.

I look forward to your prompt response and thank you in advance for your continued dilligence in keeping the rights and freedoms of all Canadians at the forefront of your mandate, regardless of logic.

Best Regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Concerned Citizen and Parent.

Below are the Lyrics in Question;

Flintstones. Meet the Flintstones.

They're the modern stone age family.

From the town of Bedrock,

They're a page right out of history.

Let's ride with the family down the street.

Through the courtesy of Fred's two feet.

When you're with the Flintstones

you'll have a yabba dabba doo time.

A dabba doo time.

You'll have a gay old time.

Copy of my comment to the TG&M:

This is the first instance SINCE THE SIXTIES that I've heard of a song being banned from public radio in Canada. In those years, it was routine - suggestive of sex, drugs or other lewd behaviour = banned. FM Radio fixed all that stupid stuff. The more songs were banned, the more songs were produced by rebellious musicians. Until the banning went away. Life was good for 40 years. And now this...

What were they thinking??? And who is the young Newf who just won his 15 minutes of fame at the expense of Mark Knopfler?

Ahhhhh....you people do realize that the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council is not the CRTC, is not a governmant agency, the people employed there are not paid from taxes, their rulings are not law.... do you not?

The Canadian Broadcast Standards Council (CBSC) is an independent, non-governmental organization created by the Canadian Association of Broadcasters (CAB) to administer standards established by its members, Canada's private broadcasters. The Council's membership includes more than 730 private sector radio and television stations, specialty services and networks from across Canada, programming in English, French and third languages.

Ahhhhh....you people do realize that the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council is not the CRTC, is not a governmant agency, the people employed there are not paid from taxes, their rulings are not law.... do you not?

It should be banned for interfering with free speech...

OTTAWA—The CRTC says it has received more than 250 letters about the recent ban of the Dire Straits hit “Money for Nothing” and has asked for a review of the decision.

Last week, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council ruled that the 1985 hit was unfit for radio because its lyrics include an anti-gay slur spoken three times.

The CRTC says the bulk of the letters disagree with the decision, adding that many are under the mistaken impression that the CRTC was the body that imposed the ban.

“The volume of letters and perceived overlap of responsibilities between the Commission and the CBSC has created uncertainty for the public and for radio stations requiring information on the continued appropriateness of playing that version of the song,” Robert A. Morin, secretary general of the CRTC, wrote in a letter Friday to the standards council.

The CRTC wants the broadcast standards council to appoint a panel to review the complaints regarding “Money for Nothing” as well as the original decision.

The CRTC said it expects that the council will seek further comment from the public on the matter, including the song’s context.

It also wants the review to consider “the age and origin of the song and the date of its performance,” “the prominence of the contested word in the song and the use of that word over time,” and “the length of time and frequency that it has been playing on the airwaves.”

The CRTC is asking the council to “consider this matter as expeditiously as possible and issue its reconsidered decision promptly.”

Many have noted the offensive word in the song was meant ironically and was spoken by a character who was unimpressed with the rock stars he saw on MTV.

Dire Straits keyboardist Guy Fletcher weighed in on his personal website, calling the ban “unbelievable.”

Last week’s decision sparked an outcry from music fans around the world. Some Canadian radio stations continued to play the unedited version in protest. The broadcast watchdog says it has received no complaints from listeners about the marathon plays.

“Money for Nothing” was a massive hit upon its release in ‘85. It won a Grammy, reached No. 1 on the charts in Canada and the U.S. and spawned a famous music video that featured crude computer animation and became interwoven with the popularity of the then-fledgling music network MTV.

Archived