The Musical Video Thread

Kip Powick

For anyone who likes a good rock and roll show and also likes Christmas music, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is not to be missed. We saw them play last year in Hamilton and they were really amazing.<div><br></div><div><br><div>

</div><div><br></div><div><br></div><div>Edited to fix broken link.</div>

</div>

One of the most incredible live shows nobody has ever heard of. Here's a little snippet of their live show. This is from 2008 and their productions have only gotten better. Can't wait to see their show in YYZ next week.

Iceman

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Greg! Clap-Hands.gif Jerry Reed was far more talented than he was ever credited for, IMO.

Jerry Reed was an incredible musician, nice guy, and good actor. He was right up there with and maybe in many ways better than Chet.

Here is Jerry being interviewed and it's aviation related. He's talking about a ride in an F-16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k1a04JcPUQ

Here's Tommy Emmanuel and Michael Johnson doing there version of Jerry's Breakdown

Tommy Emmanuel is also really one of the greats

Best rock band going today IMO created by an amazing musician - drums, guitar and bass.

This is one of my favorite video's ever. Not only is Dave extremely talented, he's got a great sense of humor as well.

While this isn't normally what I'd consider my genre, I can't seem to get this one out of my head.

Thanks Greg. That made my morning, maybe even the whole day! thumbup.gif

Thanks J.O.

This is from the wiki site on Tommy Emmanuel.

In the May 2008 and 2010 issue of Guitar Player Magazine, Tommy Emmanuel was named as "Best Acoustic Guitarist in the World" in their readers poll.

His whole story makes interesting reading.

Tommy Emmanuel

Thought I'd add another Tommy Emmanuel video. Here he's doing the ol' standard "Guitar Boogie Shuffle" like no one else does. One man and his guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNZL7GkqeRI&feature=related

That was absolutely terrific! Wow! Thanks for that ...

This whole thread is full of interesting choices... damned hard to pick only 3 favourites! Great idea Kip!

(I'm still mulling over which ones I'll pick)

One of my favourite songs is "Summertime Blues" originally done by Eddie Cochran.

Here is Eddie's version.

Here is the Stray Cats doing the same song early in their history. Gotta love rockabilly.

For those who subscribe to it, HDNet has a few good concert shows coming up in the next week.

Tomorrow (Sunday), they have several, including:

• Vince Gill at the Ryman Auditorium (13:30 Eastern / 10:30 Pacific)
  • John Fogerty (17:05 / 14:05)
  • Michael Buble at MSG (18:50 / 15:50)
  • If you're into train wrecks, they even have Amy Winehouse at 20:00 / 17:00! whistling.gif

On Thursday, Blue Man Group is on at 12:30 / 09:30

And there are probably going to be more good ones next Sunday (Boxing Day). I do hope they run Brian Setzer's Christmas show, it's amazing.

Way too many choices. I reserve the right to amend at any later date.

1.) Two definite virtuosos and a singer/guitarist/bassist who's pretty darn close:

2.) A totally underrated and usually overlooked guitarist who is also a brilliant songwriter/arranger:

3.) Another one gone too soon. Completely and utterly underrated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOuey2_h7oM

J.O.: I could loop and watch the Gary Moore video all day long.

chock: Prince and U2 are still my choices as best Super Bowl shows, The Boss comes in third. I'm the ultimate Who fan, but they just mailed it in.

Kip: No mistaking Dan McCafferty. Saw Naz in the late 70's. My ears are still ringing.

GDR: I know you're parial to the Eddie Cochran version, but you just had to be in the same room with the Who playing Summertime Blues in their heyday.

Great (and agonizing) thread.

Ok, I can't pick three "favourites"... but I can pick three OF my favourites... so here's my first:

Taj Mahal, master of the blue note!...

... not my favourite version of him playing that song, but it is a terrific display of his natural feel ...for his Natch'l Blues.

Too many to pick from but here's a video of Neil Young's "Landing on Water" from the 80's. The album cover showed a typical water landing safety briefing card. Not a commercial success and he was later sued by David Geffen for making non-Neil Young music after he signed with Geffen Records. This video was filmed in San Francisco by director Tim Pope who made several of the early music videos at that time. Kinda of funny...

#1)Touch the Night from Landing on Water by Neil Young

bd

Hurricane Katrina generated interest for awhile and many artists performed in a nationwide fundraising show. The Foo Fighters did a great version of "Born on the Bayou" although Grohl messed up the words....still sounds good.

#2) Born on the Bayou by CCR performed by The Foo Fighters

bd

And finally some Christmas music. If you want to see a great group play live and usually in a small venue, plan to see Chris Isaak and the Silvertones. Really entertaining and they can play and sing!

#3) Chris Isaak Christmas Show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41wtUbOo8ZI

Happy Holidays wherever you may be!

bd

Archived