An Ontario Prayer

Kip Powick

Dear Lord;

I know that I don't talk to you that much, but this past year you have taken

away my favourite actor, Patrick Swayze,

my favourite actress, Farah Fawcett, and

my favourite musician, Michael Jackson.

I just wanted to let you know that

my favourite Premier is Dalton McGuinty.

Amen

Dear Lord;

I know that I don't talk to you that much, but this past year you have taken

away my favourite actor, Patrick Swayze,

my favourite actress, Farah Fawcett, and

my favourite musician, Michael Jackson.

I just wanted to let you know that

my favourite Premier is Dalton McGuinty.

Amen

Amen Kip,lol

Swap the name Dalton McGinty with someones name from this forum and then is it funny?

Yes, it would be...go ahead, use me if you like ....... you won't bother my "sensitivity" button.

Must be terrible to live without a sense of humour and be ready to jump on anything that, when posted is not intended to denigrate anyone, or anything but merely espouse some humour.

Yes, it would be...go ahead, use me if you like ....... you won't bother my "sensitivity" button.

Must be terrible to live without a sense of humour and be ready to jump on anything that, when posted is not intended to denigrate anyone, or anything but merely espouse some humour.

This entire thread is so hilarious, as I am also a Dalton hater as I can't wait until that two face little rat is tossed out on his ear.

This entire thread is so hilarious, as I am also a Dalton hater as I can't wait until that two face little rat is tossed out on his ear.

Now why did you have to insult the rats, they hate him too!!!! :097:

It is a bad sign of our culture that we feel free to denigrate anyone who is in public office or head of a company. Yet, if we know them personally we would never think of saying the same thing about them.

Many months ago there was a posting saying some not nice things about everyone in AC management and it went without comment until I reposted the same sentence but substituted unions and other regular employees for the management types. Then there were all sorts of barbs posted about 'the worst thing ever posted here'.

I am not sure why this has been called a "sensitivity" issue.

Whether it is a joke or not it is something that I don't find funny and personally I think joking about wishing death on someone is not funny.

You probably would not have found a person who is less of a fan of George W Bush than me. This being said I would not have re-posted a joke wishing for his death. If someone wants to, go ahead, have no problem with it. Just not my style and I don't find it funny.

chock;

I don't find the joke to be that funny either but I also don't find it to be offensive. Do you really think that the joke, and Kip, are wishing death upon the Premier? Do you take everything in life so literally? The joke is that everything the person likes is taken away so they are speculating that maybe the system can be cheated to run backwards by declaring a "preference" for someone or something to have them or it included. The last line of the joke could specify anything or anyone; "by the way my favorite cheese is Lindberger", "by the way my favorite season is winter", "by the way my favorite airline is Westjet". The joke is about a person seeing a pattern and trying to work it to their advantage, which is obviously intended for humorous effect and not as a sincere wish for misfortune to the named entity.

chock;

I don't find the joke to be that funny either but I also don't find it to be offensive. Do you really think that the joke, and Kip, are wishing death upon the Premier? Do you take everything in life so literally? The joke is that everything the person likes is taken away so they are speculating that maybe the system can be cheated to run backwards by declaring a "preference" for someone or something to have them or it included. The last line of the joke could specify anything or anyone; "by the way my favorite cheese is Lindberger", "by the way my favorite season is winter", "by the way my favorite airline is Westjet". The joke is about a person seeing a pattern and trying to work it to their advantage, which is obviously intended for humorous effect and not as a sincere wish for misfortune to the named entity.

Since you asked...

I don't take it literally and I am not personally offended by it. I also know why it is supposed to be funny.

In this day of e-mail forwards and a general coarsening of discourse I just don't find it funny or for that matter appropriate to joke about wanting someone to die.

You could put any name you wanted in the punch line and my reaction would be the same.

2010-05-06.jpg?1273606204

My apologies to those that are so super sensitive to humour and, yes, I did almost (not) send an email to The Hamiliton Spectator stating that the cartoon indicating the impending death by a 5000 safe, even though it was probably intended as a play on words, was tasteless and that the cartoon's artist should be fired at once.

I can't believe some of the comments about the humour of my initial post...some of you folks should step back and take a long look at the parochial attitude you have with respect to humour.....I am utterly astounded that of all the issues in the world you would find time to grind an axe over something so harmless.......of course it is easy to be so "insightful" when one hides behind a forum "handle".

And lastly, I do post using my real name, have always done so ...... so in future when you see anything posted by me, best you just avoid it rather than waste your time advising me how tasteless you find my sense of humour.wink.gif

seeker re - your post above ..................bingo!

Kip it would appear you are the only one who is getting worked up here. You posted a joke, some laughed through their comments, some didn't.

Last time I checked there was a function on this website to offer feedback on various postings. If it upsets you that people offer feedback that you don't like I don't know what advice to offer.

ETA; There is a difference between the joke you posted and the cartoon.

ETA; There is a difference between the joke you posted and the cartoon.

Nope, there is no difference at all between the joke and the cartoon. I took your advise chock and left some feedback above - let me know if you don't get it and I'll send it you via PM. wink.gif

My favourite bugs are mosquitos and my favourite part of an airplane is the toilet. ph34r.gif

I'll have to take a lot of my valuable time and dissect that statement Mitchbiggrin2.gif You, know you could mean that you like little pesty things, and that you like toilet humour...hmmmmmm or it could be statement tending to set the thread adrift and aim a tangent into cyber space and have others lose the true meaning of your meandering mind......sorry but I don't have the time ....but good luckbiggrin.gifGrin-Nod.gificon_butt.gif

I can't believe some of the comments about the humour of my initial post...some of you folks should step back and take a long look at the parochial attitude you have with respect to humour.....I am utterly astounded that of all the issues in the world you would find time to grind an axe over something so harmless.......of course it is easy to be so "insightful" when one hides behind a forum "handle".

Hmmm. So a poster hints jokingly on a public forum that he wishes death upon our premier. I think if a person at a particular place of worship jokingly wished death upon their favourite cartoonist, our poster here might be having a different perspective on "parochial attitudes" about "something so harmless" and then somehow justifying it because others are hiding behind a handle.

Lack of class I would say at best.

Archived