Tiger Woods crashes =Hospital

Kip Powick

(CNN) -- Golfer Tiger Woods has been taken to a Florida hospital after suffering serious injuries in a car wreck early Friday, officials said.

The one-car accident occurred about 2:25 a.m. near his home in Windermere, a suburb of Orlando, according to an incident report from the Florida Highway Patrol.

Woods, 33, had just pulled out of his driveway and begun to drive down the street when his Cadillac SUV struck a fire hydrant, the Florida Highway Patrol said.

The front of his vehicle then struck a tree. He has been transported to Health Central Hospital, the statement said.

The crash is under investigation and charges are pending, though it was not clear who could face charges. The accident did not appear to have been alcohol-related, the statement said.

Woods lives in Orange County with his wife, supermodel Elin Nordegren, and two children.

Woods has won 93 tournaments, 71 of those on the PGA Tour, including the 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2005 Masters Tournaments, 1999, 2000, 2006 and 2007 PGA Championships, 2000, 2002, and 2008 U.S. Open Championships, and 2000, 2005 and 2006 Open Championships, according to his official Web site.

Ya, I was wondering how you could get "serious injuries" from crashing an Escalade - aren't those things supposed to be bulletproof? Of course it's in the media's best interest to play it up as much as possible.

Ya, I was wondering how you could get "serious injuries" from crashing an Escalade - aren't those things supposed to be bulletproof? Of course it's in the media's best interest to play it up as much as possible.

Florida State Police initially said he had "serious" injuries.

Tiger Woods sustained facial cuts in a minor car accident early Friday when his SUV hit a fire hydrant and a neighbour's tree as he was leaving his mansion in a gated waterfront community near Orlando, Fla.

The Florida Highway Patrol said the 33-year-old PGA Tour star was alone in his 2009 Cadillac when he pulled out of his driveway at 2:25 a.m.

The patrol reported Woods' injuries as serious, although Woods spokesman Glenn Greenspan said the golfer was treated at a hospital and released in good condition. Windermere mayor Gary Bruhn said police from the village were among the first on the scene and saw Woods with cuts on his face.

The patrol said alcohol was not involved, although the accident remains under investigation and charges could be filed.

Left unanswered was where Woods was going at that hour. Greenspan and agent Mark Steinberg said there would be no comment beyond the short statement of the accident on Woods' Web site.

Woods, coming off a two-week trip to China and Australia earlier this month, is host of the Chevron World Challenge in Thousand Oaks, Calif., which starts Thursday. He is scheduled to have his press conference Tuesday afternoon at Sherwood Country Club. Steinberg said he did not know if Woods planned to play next week.

The accident report was not released until nearly 12 hours after Woods was injured. Patrol spokesman Kim Montes said injuries are considered serious if they require more than minor medical attention.

Montes said air bags in the SUV did not deploy.

Investigators still have not had a chance to speak to golf's No. 1 player, but when they do, "we will ask him everything," Montes said. "We just haven't had a chance to do so because he was being medically treated."

Montes said charges could be filed if there was a clear traffic violation, although troopers still do not know what caused Woods' SUV to hit the hydrant and the tree.

Woods' $2.4 million home is part of the exclusive Isleworth subdivision near Orlando, a community set on an Arnold Palmer-designed golf course and a chain of small lakes. The neighbourhood, which is fortified with high brick walls and has its own security force, is home to CEOs and other sports stars such as the NBA's Shaquille O'Neal.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that an orange and white barricade sat on top of a hole in front of Woods' home. About 10 feet away, there was a tire track near an oak tree in his neighbour's yard. The tree had a few scuff marks but was largely unscathed.

I wanna know why he was driving a Caddy, he gets stacks of dough to advertise Buicks and claims he drives one.

Local news said his wife broke the car window with a golf club to get him out. I wonder if he was taking off in the car to avoid getting hit by the golf club? icon_question.gif

After a trip to OZ last year, it took me at least two weeks to start sleeping through the night.

....And all the guys fixing your airplane working nights do that every four days.

...let's see now.... four nights on, two weeks off... That would be just about right for a night shift. wink.gif

Yeah... I forgot to mention that I was there for over 2 weeks, so I was fully entrenched in the OZ time zone. I'm not saying that night shifts aren't hard on you, but sleeping through the night takes some time after a full 12 hour time shift for 2 weeks.

I wanna know why he was driving a Caddy, he gets stacks of dough to advertise Buicks and claims he drives one.

He was the spokesman for GM, and especially Buick, but when GM ran out of money...guess who was one of the first celeb Buick advertisers to go?? wink.gif I believe he could then drive the Caddy, (still GM), but do no advertising.

Yeah... I forgot to mention that I was there for over 2 weeks, so I was fully entrenched in the OZ time zone.  I'm not saying that night shifts aren't hard on you, but sleeping through the night takes some time after a full 12 hour time shift for 2 weeks.

Cell discovery clues to body clock and beating jet lag

November 27, 2009 - BBC World Service

David Lee - Health Check

New discoveries into how the body clock works could provide clues to help combat jet lag, research suggests.

A University of Manchester team studied special cells which they say play an important role in regulating a person's body clock.

The cells had been thought to be inactive during the day - but their research found the opposite is true.

It is hoped the findings may also pave the way to combating sleep disorders triggered by body clock malfunctions.

Professor Hugh Piggins, an expert in neuroscience at the university, said the research will allow a new approach to being able to tune our daily clock.

"Or, perhaps more importantly, different kind of sleep disorders for which dysfunctions in this clock are often involved."

Yeah... I forgot to mention that I was there for over 2 weeks, so I was fully entrenched in the OZ time zone. I'm not saying that night shifts aren't hard on you, but sleeping through the night takes some time after a full 12 hour time shift for 2 weeks.

Right now I spend a month in Africa (8 hours difference) usually takes me a day to cycle back, when I worked 4x4 nights I usually cycled back about day 4 just in time to start over (first day back was always a 24 hour day)

Having done both I would much sooner do the time zone thing anyday

Mitch. Nice try. Not the same thing, and if you don't like shift work quit and do something else.

Okay then... Mr. "Real World". That's a fine way to introduce yourself to me. Is that your typical manner when meeting people or is it only that screen in front of you that makes you feel so superior?

First, I don't work nights.... second, I like what I do, thanks very much. ...and third... you work it out dude... same thing. They switch to nights for four days of work, then switch to days for four days off, then back to nights... etc. 4 of each, changing every four days. Yessir, it's no different than being in a time zone 12 hours off every four days.

But then this thread is about Tiger, so rather than continue this here, if you want to have at me, by all means, start a new thread. ...same invite to you Gatekeeper. wink.gif

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-andnowbacktothethreadtopic=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I can't believe all the BS conjecture and rumour spreading I heard on the radio today about this little incident. So what if he and his missus had a spat? The guy's a golfer. If he crashed on a golf course that might be sports news, or if he was hurt, I guess that would be news people would want to hear, but otherwise....? Wow. rolleyes.gif

Edited to add: [and Tiger's story here is a dud anyway, so I'm sure he'd forgive me for this.... if it turn's out he's in deep doo-doo someone will post that and bury this anyway... biggrin.gif ]

... So, if we take "a full 12 hour time shift for 2 weeks" as the benchmark for having fully adjusted to the new time zone... it would follow that four days is somewhat short of "fully adjusted" to that same "full 12 hour time shift"..., and if you can accept that -- and if you can't accept that, by all means, please do elaborate? --, it surely follows that you could say that a person doing that... that is to say, a person who has not yet adjusted to his/her full 12 hour time shift... could possibly get even less adjusted if then after four days, he changed back...

A person doing that once might get a little foggy for a time while he tried to adjust. He/She might feel much as Inchman did while he tried to adjust when first coming home....

So, if that logic isn't too flawed -- maybe the ratio is changed because of less time to get fouled in the first place? ....but even so-- you might be tempted to conclude a person doing that repeatedly would never be able to adjust his internal clock, wouldn't you? And years of very close observation has indeed confirmed that prediction! Mitch Cronin - 28/11/09 AEF post in thread titled "Tiger Woods crashes =Hospital"

People working that shift never do adjust... and in most of them, it shows.

Guest rattler

Amid reports that police are set to interview Tiger Woods and his wife today about his mysterious early morning encounter with a fire hydrant, new stories have begun to emerge.

Celebrity gossip web site TMZ says the injuries to the face of the most famous golfer in the world might have been caused by a different encounter.

Originally police said that Tiger hit a fire hydrant and tree about 2:30 a.m. Friday as he pulled his Cadillac Escalade out of the driveway of his house in Windermere, Florida, near Orlando.

His wife Elin Nordegren, apparently used a golf club to smash a window of his SUV to get him out, said Windermere Police Chief Daniel Saylor. Saylor told CNN on Friday that Woods was bleeding from the mouth and was "in and out of it for several minutes," when police arrived at his home shortly after the accident.He "was on the ground, semi-unconscious and had lacerations to the upper and lower lips." 

Nordegren "explained to my officers that the doors were locked and she could not gain entry" into the crashed vehicle, so she "used a golf club" to smash a window, he said.

But TMZ and other gossip sites reports say Nordegren was chasing Tiger from the house with a golf club after an argument. There was no blood on the steering wheel of his vehicle, "putting into serious doubt that Tiger sustained his injuries from the crash," TMZ said.  The Orlando Sentinel has posted a short news release from the police. "The crash remains under investigation and charges are pending."  The New York Times reported that authorities do not believe it is a domestic incident, though the newspaper said that "the early morning hour and unexplained circumstances do not indicate it was an average traffic incident." The highway patrol said that alcohol was not involved in the accident. “We are currently investigating a traffic crash,” Sgt. Kim Montes of the Florida Highway Patrol said in an e-mail message on Saturday morning to the New York Times. “We will not be addressing any rumours or other scenarios. If our investigation takes us in a different direction, we will let the media know.”  The Philadelphia Inquirer says the 911 tapes from the crash on Sunday.

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/blogs/p...x#ixzz0YC4DF6UU

The New Financial Post Stock Market Challenge starts in October. You could WIN your share of $60,000 in prizing. Register NOW

Guest The Real World

"But then this thread is about Tiger, so rather than continue this here, if you want to have at me, by all means, start a new thread. ...same invite to you Gatekeeper. "

Mitch Cronin

I'm sorry to see you respond in anger. Why start a new post lets just meet after school by the bike racks.

Perhaps when Mitch posts we are to all ponder in awe and not engage. Please to meet you Mitch I am the real world. At least I am real in my world. blink.gif

I'm sorry to see you respond in anger. Why start a new post lets just meet after school by the bike racks.

Perhaps when Mitch posts we are to all ponder in awe and not engage. Please to meet you Mitch I am the real world. At least I am real in my world. blink.gif

I assure you, anger was nowhere near me when I posted that. I only meant that perhaps we shouldn't pollute this thread with our little side chat. ...however, as you see by my edit, I later thought it probably wouldn't matter to anyone anyway. My use of the term "have at me" was meant in sincerity as an invitation to carry on the discussion. (I was hoping you might elaborate on why you think our 4 on, 4 off night shift is "Not the same thing"?)

I'm not at all sure how you got the notion I'd prefer you to "ponder in awe and not engage" Feel free to ponder in awe, if that's what pleases you wink.gif , but please do engage! .... though I must say, I'd prefer a little less abrasion in a discussion. .... and I do find your choice of manner rather curious.... you seem like an intelligent fellow otherwise. cool.gif

...to be honest, I can't say that I am pleased to meet you, yet. biggrin.gif

Archived